Coffee Talk (I'm so verklempt): Aeropress coffee and espresso maker

Options
ricardo510diaz
ricardo510diaz Posts: 64 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I don't know if this is the right area to put this, but along with lifting heavy weights another one of my passions in life is something that helps fuel this heavy weight lifting: coffee.

I have gotten into home brewing for the past half a year or so and I started out with just a chemex. For drip coffee, the Chemex is probably the best coffee maker you can get, it makes the purest cup and wins comparison after comparison, putting every other coffee maker to shame.

Recently, as I've been checking out the craft coffee community on Instagram, I saw that the Aeropress is quite popular so I bought one a few weeks ago and have been blown away. The standard coffee it makes is decent, but where this $30 American made plastic tube truly shines is Espresso, believe it or not. My step father had a fancy European espresso machine he paid a thousand dollars for and had plumbed into the house and in all honesty, with a hacked method, this little thing is almost on that level, which is saying a lot for a $30 piece.

Anyone have one of these things? Or a Chemex? Lets talk Coffee.

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I've heard moka pots make really bangin espresso on the stovetop. I've considered grabbing one. Haven't tried a Chemex or Aeropress but I have heard good things about the latter.

I switched to making Vietnamese coffee using a phil filter about two years ago, and it's been hard to go back from there.

Although these days it's pretty easy to just say *kitten* it and grab a latte from Starbucks, lol...
  • ricardo510diaz
    edited May 2015
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    I've heard moka pots make really bangin espresso on the stovetop. I've considered grabbing one. Haven't tried a Chemex or Aeropress but I have heard good things about the latter.

I switched to making Vietnamese coffee using a phil filter about two years ago, and it's been hard to go back from there.

Although these days it's pretty easy to just say *kitten* it and grab a latte from Starbucks, lol...

Vietnamese coffee is a something I've heard a lot about that I have yet to try.

I'm more of a Peets guy, myself as their coffee is a bit stronger than Starbucks but an interesting thing on that note with the Chemex is that it kind of spoils you, ever since I started using it, when I go to peets or starbucks to grab a cup of drip coffee you really begin to catch the impurities, bitterness, and off flavors that their machines produce. The Chemex and Aeropress really bring out the flavors you only hear about in coffee like floral notes, citrus, and earthy flavors and makes them shine. I'd recommend either one if you have $30 to spare, more so the Chemex for a standard cup of coffee.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I loved my Aeropress! I got out of the habit of using it when we bought the Keurig (as I'm usually scrambling for time to make my coffee as I'm running out the door). I should drag it out again since it's getting to be iced coffee season. We even bought a burr grinder to use with it. I have a second Aeropress I kept at work, too. Maybe now that people are actually keeping our teeny kitchenette clean, I can use it again.

There's an upside down method of using it that makes the smoothest cup, I found.
  • raejayb
    raejayb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lived and died by the Chemex (the smaller 3-cup classic). Then it broke. I am now using a 12-oz French press from Bodum since it's a little easier to incorporate into my morning routine to get out the door in time. Still miss my old Chemex. I completely agree that the Chemex spoiled me. I can no longer drink Starbucks or Pete's black coffee - too bitter and blech. Any thoughts to organic vs. non-organic beans?

@draznyth - how do you sweeten your Vietnamese coffee, if at all?
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    raejayb wrote: »
    Lived and died by the Chemex (the smaller 3-cup classic). Then it broke. I am now using a 12-oz French press from Bodum since it's a little easier to incorporate into my morning routine to get out the door in time. Still miss my old Chemex. I completely agree that the Chemex spoiled me. I can no longer drink Starbucks or Pete's black coffee - too bitter and blech. Any thoughts to organic vs. non-organic beans?

@draznyth - how do you sweeten your Vietnamese coffee, if at all?

I live in southern Texas so I can get Nestle condensed milk (La Lechera) in a plastic squeeze bottle, which is obviously far easier than *kitten* with a can of it in the fridge. This changed my life, lol.

Sounds like I'll need to add an Aeropress to my arsenal since espresso is more my preference than drip coffee.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My friend has a Chemex- I want one SO BADLY. But honestly it's hard to justify- I have my little Mr.Coffee set for auto drip and I can wake up to it.

If I geninunly have the time to brew it- I'll make Arabic/Turkish coffee. *kitten*'s the best thing ever.

I'm honestly quiet lazy though- I like a robust coffee- but not bitter- which means: <ducks> I drink plain old Folders- so I'm far from a coffee snob. I think what I like about it- is it makes a completely consistent cup of coffee every time.

But again- lazy and quick. when it's time for the good stuff- I make Arabic.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    My friend has a Chemex- I want one SO BADLY. But honestly it's hard to justify- I have my little Mr.Coffee set for auto drip and I can wake up to it.

If I geninunly have the time to brew it- I'll make Arabic/Turkish coffee. *kitten*'s the best thing ever.

I'm honestly quiet lazy though- I like a robust coffee- but not bitter- which means: <ducks> I drink plain old Folders- so I'm far from a coffee snob. I think what I like about it- is it makes a completely consistent cup of coffee every time.

But again- lazy and quick. when it's time for the good stuff- I make Arabic.

I've been told Folgers in your cup is the best part of waking up.

thoughts?
  • ricardo510diaz
    Options
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    I loved my Aeropress! I got out of the habit of using it when we bought the Keurig (as I'm usually scrambling for time to make my coffee as I'm running out the door). I should drag it out again since it's getting to be iced coffee season. We even bought a burr grinder to use with it. I have a second Aeropress I kept at work, too. Maybe now that people are actually keeping our teeny kitchenette clean, I can use it again.

There's an upside down method of using it that makes the smoothest cup, I found.

The upside down method does make a good cup of coffee, I've been using a method for making espresso shots that's a little less conventional. I place a filter in the basket on the bottom, and then use a tamper to tamp the coffee down into a cake, similar to how espresso is tamped in a portifilter, sit a filter on top, pour the water on that so it doesn't mix with the grounds, and then press it. This method makes a seriously strong shot of "compressed coffee" that is super close to an actual shot of espresso; I nuke some milk, use my little hand frother, and bam: home made latte; sometimes I just add hot water for an Americano, but the Chemex coffee blows Americano's away. If you ever want to try to make an espresso with it, try that. If you don't have a tamper, you can use a spice jar with a wet filter stuck to the bottom to do the same thing, takes a bit to get the filter to sit on top but once you get the hang of it, it comes out pretty incredibly.
  • ricardo510diaz
    Options
    raejayb wrote: »

The Chemex is absolutely fantastic, sad to hear it broke. On organic vs non-organic, I've used both here but didn't notice too big of a difference. I was buying Peet's coffee beans primarily, but I've started going out to Oakland, CA on bean hunts as they have a great coffee scene and we have a lot of local roasters in the area and a few I've gotten have been organic.
  • CaffeineAssisted
    CaffeineAssisted Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ohh coffee. My favorite thing.

So I have loved coffee since I was about 10. I blame my dad. When the kids were 10 he would make us coffee milk, about 90% milk, 10% coffee, so that we felt we were part of his "coffee ritual".

I currently have an Aeropress, Melitta pour over, a De Longhi EC155 espresso machine, Toddy Cold Brew, and a small and large French Press (larger one Bodum, smaller one Ikea). I also have an Aerolatte, Capresso burr grinder, and a Krups blade grinder. I love all types of coffee and prep methods, so its nice to have a lot of choices in the morning. I also luckily have a nice sized cabinet that holds all these contraptions.

I was introduced to Vietnamese Iced coffee when I was living in Seattle. It is absolutely amazing. I used to buy the Trader Joe's sweetened condensed milk in the bottle (they have since stopped selling it :/ ) to use with either espresso shots or strong pour over coffee.

Also, maybe TMI, but I have issues with acids sometimes in coffee, so the cold brew is really great to have around ( I'll freeze ice cubes of it if I can't finish it in the two weeks it can stay in the fridge and use it for iced coffee later.) I was a barista at Seattle's best so I got the Toddy maker for 40% off, but honestly, it's good enough to just use a large french press for cold brew.

I have always wanted to try a Chemex but I am so worried I'll break it that I have just stayed away from it.

Btw if you are in the Oakland area Blue Bottle coffee has some very good beans and a very interesting store. I usually get my beans from Peet's, or my decaf from Trader Joe's ( I really liked swiss water process decaf and all of TJ's decaf is swp) but if I am up in the area I get Blue Bottle.

And when I am being lazy straight shots over ice at Starbucks does the trick, and Peet's coffee still tastes great to me.

I also recently started using liquid stevia in my coffee to cut down on sugar and I find that it complements the coffee flavor pretty well.