Always thinking about food

Options
is it normal that I'm always thinking about food...? I always am planning my meals way ahead and I feel like I'm constantly craving sweets and baked good. I just can't stop thinking about food!! I'm not even hungry all of the time, but I know if I gave in to all those treats I could eat them all up no problem. I have been eating clean for a couple weeks (feel off the wagon on the weekends a few times) but other than that I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm new to myfitnesspal and I'm trying to lose those last 5-10 pounds... But it's hard when I feel like I could eat all of the time! Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Marry a chef, like me.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Marry a chef, like me.

hahahaa!
  • KerriGraham1025
    KerriGraham1025 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, I share these issues with you. I obsess about food sometimes, it's clearly my addiction. It's certainly a tough one to break. The support on this site is very helpful!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    is it normal that I'm always thinking about food...? I always am planning my meals way ahead and I feel like I'm constantly craving sweets and baked good. I just can't stop thinking about food!! I'm not even hungry all of the time, but I know if I gave in to all those treats I could eat them all up no problem. I have been eating clean for a couple weeks (feel off the wagon on the weekends a few times) but other than that I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm new to myfitnesspal and I'm trying to lose those last 5-10 pounds... But it's hard when I feel like I could eat all of the time! Does anyone else have this problem?

I use to have that it was very bad!until i found things to distract me more that i like to do like playing video games , drawing and taking walks:) these have helped me very much.. Sometimes i give into the food a day or 2 but most of the time iam distracted to even eat..
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I totally understand I could all day long probably would if it weren't for my job. I constantly have to keep busy on weekends or find something else to put my mind on.
  • megmoore1991
    megmoore1991 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. What I find kind of helps is chewing mint gum kind of prevents me from fixation on food. Mint kind of ruins other foods
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I obsess about food when I start restricting or cutting things out.

If you're planning your meals/days ahead, why not plan a treat or two into your day?
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

If you're planning your meals/days ahead, why not plan a treat or two into your day?

Agree with this post. You could be obsessing over food because your body needs more calories.
  • tatumlohse1
    tatumlohse1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! You guys are all so helpful.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I love food and my husband cooks delicious dinners. I think about yummy food all the time. I even look forward to my snacks of snap peas and hummus. All food is delicious and I want it all, all the time. I struggle but I just try to eat smaller portions and continue going to the gym. Also, alcohol.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

During the weekdays I plan my whole days worth of meals in advance, the night before, that way I know where I can fit in my "treats" . Funny thing is there are times I don't eat everything I log (just sometimes too busy or not hungry) and I wind up having to delete them: this makes room for others things I may decide I want later or if I still am not very hungry just gives me a bigger calorie deficit!
    Today is a perfect example.
    My husband told me yesterday he wanted to go to a baseball game tonight.
    It's 50cent hot dog night (every Friday is) and I always get 2 hot dogs and 1 large diet soda.
    Knowing this, I plugged that info into my log under "dinner". From there I just adjusted the rest of my day's
    food/calories to allow me to still get my hot dogs and yet still remain under calories!
    Also I am about to delete my afternoon snack info because although it's time for my afternoon snack, I'm not even hungry!

So maybe try pre-planning.
    You may find that if you allow yourself "treats" you don't want them as much or aren't as hungry in general.

Good luck!

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I always think about food. I just used to eat it instead. I guess this is better.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing when I tried eating 6 small meals throughout the day. I was always hungry. I switched to 4 and it worked a lot better for me. Also agree with pre-logging and fitting in treats when you can. It just makes it more sustainable and if you fit treats in you avoid binging when you fall off the wagon.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Try to eat satiating foods like cooked spinach, chard, kale and eat onions or other vegetables with meat or eggs.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I grew up in poverty. So yeah I think about food a lot. And I get really obsessive if I try to give up eating foods I enjoy. Some small piece of my brain starts worrying about running out of food. I keep cookies and ice cream and chocolate on hand and I allow myself some of that every day. Because of this I have not yet had any binges(loss of control) in the past 61 days I have been using MFP. No cheat meals or cheat days either. I had 1100 calories worth of pizza a few nights ago for dinner. Wasn't a cheat though. It fit in my calories and I still lost another half pound since then. :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Me too. I use my mental obsession to plan out my week of deliciousness, which assures that all of my whims fit into my calories.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I love food. I could marry it.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    ..and sometimes it is just in the nature of ( can't say dieting on here ...lol) ... being hungry from cutting calories.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Marry a chef, like me.

My first husband was a chef and somehow I did all the cooking, except for large holiday gatherings.

I think about food all the time. Often dream about it too. I once frantically searched a dream kitchen for something low carb to eat and the only thing I could find was two lousy cucumber slices. I ate them.