Possible to gain a pound of muscle in a week

okay so after a naughty weekend and a week training in the gym to even it out stepping in the scale surprised me,
I was 11 St 12.5 before the naughty weekend and 12stone after a week. So a weight gain yet my body fat is 37% both times! Does that mean it could be partly muscle. I understand these machines are not accurate so that's a possibility, but then it made me think is it even possible to gain a pound of muscle in a week, I've been losing almost a pound a week which I feel is a little slow with how much I work out and my deficit.

So... What do u guys think?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Nope. Unless you just started lifting for the very first time this week, it's not muscle, and I even doubt that would be a pound's worth.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited May 2015
    whatever is measuring your BF% is inaccurate...significantly so if the conclusion is that you'd be gaining a pound of muscle in a week. It's likely just fluid weight for the most part.

ETA: Also, 1lb/week loss is great. Keep doing that.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    I doubt there's a woman on the planet who could gain a pound of muscle in a week, even with elite pharmaceuticals.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Sadly No.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    It's not muscle.

Likely, it's just natural body weight fluctuations, possibly attributed to water retention, your period, sodium intake, etc.
  • Nyappykim
    Nyappykim Posts: 57 Member
    It's most likely water weight and not fat/muscle.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Impossible. Lol. Body Fat readers in gyms can be off by as much as 20%. Unless you were in a Dr.'s office and they measured your BF% by dunking you in a tank or hooking you up to an elaborate machine... your reading is off.

You're probably retaining water/experiencing normal fluctuations unless you ate 3,500 calories over maintenance.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    1lb per month, I believe, would be considered an extraordinary muscle gain for a woman.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    It's possible to gain 5 pounds of WATER weight in a DAY. (and to lose it all again overnight!) Don't sweat a small fluctuation like a single pound, especially if you aren't weighing very often and only have one data point. (I'm a fan of frequent weighing and watching long term trends, rather than infrequent weighing and fussing over every trip to the scale)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    1lb per month, I believe, would be considered an extraordinary muscle gain for a woman.

^ This.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    no
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    LOL...
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Maybe if you're a guy and gain a pound of fat with it... But even then it's unlikely. Or if you're juicing, and not the Jack Lalanne type.