AVOCADOS~~!!!

Options

Replies

• nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love avocados! I love making guacamole and using it on everything possible. Especially eggs. Unfortunately avocados are the worst offender in the list of things that give me a reaction because of OAS (Oral Allergy Syndrome, which is connected to hayfever), so I have to be careful eating them. But I still do. *sheepish*

Oh oh I also love avocado and sweet onion sandwiches, but that might be sort of weird. I've never met anyone who made them before.
  • movu101779
    movu101779 Posts: 27
    Options
    Everyone can eat an Avocado for me. I had one about a month ago for the first time and that was the last one I had.. Five minutes after I ate it my throat started to swell up.. SOOO You all enjoy them for me...
  • FocusEnergy
    Options
    I eat avocados in everything, as often as possible. I'm totally in love with them. I want to marry an avocado and have little half-person half-avocado babies.

Here's a nice recipe for avocado quiche (I usually go light on the sour cream):
    http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipe/avocado-quiche

I LOVE YOUR WEIGHT TRACKER GADGET... Totally friending you.
  • Equus_girl
    Equus_girl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love avocados! They are just amazing! My family always tells me not to eat them very much as I'll gain weight. But I will try eating them in moderation and see what happens. I think that it is important to have good fats in your diet.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Well I don't like avocado but I make a sauce type...thing? that my avocado loving friends and family love:

1 Avocado
    1-2 cups basil leaves
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup onion, chopped
    1 jalapeno pepper (use bird chilies if you want it spicy or leave off peppers if you don't want any spiciness)
    Juice of 1/2 of a lime
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all together by hand or in a food processor and spoon over some glass noddles. If you aren't using it right away, add in half a teaspoon of citric acid & refrigerate and it'll stay a pretty green instead of browning. I top it with roasted eggplant (skin on) and bell peppers and it makes for a very pretty plate.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I use avocados in place of oil in salad dressings. Makes them creamy. I will also use them in my smoothie in place of banana. My favorite way is to smear it on sprouted grain toast for a quick breakfast.
  • wanderlustlover
    wanderlustlover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Guh. I want to try all of these things now.

Avocado & Tuna or Chicken salad with avocado sounds amazing. So do the green deviled eggs.

I have to second someone earlier last week who but up the breakfast recipe for a baked egg in half an avocado, too. I tried that over the weekend and it was AMAZING. I can't wait to get on trying all of the recipes being mentioned here soon!
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocados but I didn't until very recently - HOW?! How have I gone so long without eating avocados!
    What I do (and this is no way as professional as some of the other recipes posted here) is simply cut an avocado in half, take out the stone then fill the gap with salsa. I guess you could make a fancy, lovely homemade salsa but I just add Doritos salsa hahaha
  • brtherjohn
    brtherjohn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's such a great idea. There have been several suggestions in this thread to replace mayo with avocados! Kudos for avocados! :)
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    My favorite dressings:

1 Avocado
    1 clove garlic
    2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
    1 tbsp coarse seeded mustard
    2 cubes of Dorot frozen basil = 2 tsp. of fresh
    1 Avocado
    1/4 c almond milk
    1 to 2 tbsp. of hidden valley ranch powder
    1 Avocado
    1/2 c artichoke heart (canned in water drained)
    3 tbsp. water
    3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese

You can thin them out if too thick with a little water, or up the vinegar (or lower it if you like).

I zip them all in my blender
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    omg, love 'em. my fav way is to make a salad with cubed avocado, chopped fresh tomato, red onion, corn, fresh cilantro, garlic, lime juice, and salt and pepper. sooo good, it rarely even makes it onto plates in the house. they see me making it and get spoons out and just gather around the bowl.
    i also slice it up and put it on blue corn and flax seed tortillas. spread some red pepper hummus on the tortilla, toss on a few spinach leaves, some sliced mushroom and onion, half an avocado, some chopped tomato, and a few calamata olives. it's an absolutely beautiful and delicious meal.
    will absolutely have to try the tuna salad idea!
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm making fajitas right now with avocado in them.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    LOVE avocados! I add them to a lot of my salads - it's nice because you don't even need dressing because they're so creamy! I also made a pasta"sauce" from them this week - it was DELICIOUS!

Blend up 1 avocado, 1 clove of garlic, 1 tbs olive oil, juice of 1/2 a lemon, salt & pepper in a food processor til it's smooth! Makes an AWESOME sauce! I served it with WW spaghetti, roasted grape tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, pan seared shrimp and a sprinkle of parmesean. So. Very. Delicious!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have recently discovered I love avacados also!!! In fact, I cut some up this morning and just put some salt and pepper on them (about 1/2 avocado) today for a snack here at work. I love it!! Like some have mentioned here, there are people who have told me they are too high in fat/calories etc. But, I figure if I do it in moderation, it's okay....I hope. I am liking many of the comments here as I feel better abount my new love of avocados :flowerforyou:
  • meanjeann
    meanjeann Posts: 40
    Options
    Bumping for all the recipes! I also use avocados in place of mayo and they are SO much better. :)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    When I have tuna I use a half of an avocado in place of mayo, tastes quite yummy

bump
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My favorite dressings:

1 Avocado
    1 clove garlic
    2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
    1 tbsp coarse seeded mustard
    2 cubes of Dorot frozen basil = 2 tsp. of fresh
    1 Avocado
    1/4 c almond milk
    1 to 2 tbsp. of hidden valley ranch powder
    1 Avocado
    1/2 c artichoke heart (canned in water drained)
    3 tbsp. water
    3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese

You can thin them out if too thick with a little water, or up the vinegar (or lower it if you like).

I zip them all in my blender

These sound delicious!!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • kshaw5501
    kshaw5501 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I love the baked eggs in half of an avocado with ground pepper and a tiny sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese. I'm going to have to try to replace the mayo with avocado the next time I make tuna or egg salad. Sounds so yummy!
  • lvfant
    lvfant Posts: 4
    Options
    Has anyone ever heard of making avocado ice cream? Frozen fruit, etc. If you have a recipe or have tried it would appreciate some feedback.
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    When I have tuna I use a half of an avocado in place of mayo, tastes quite yummy

same here!! my favorite with some ground pepper.yummmm!!!

me too! and squeeze some lemon juice and salt..mmmm!