Body composition help

Options
Background: I'm short (5ft) and super obese (283lbs or 20st 3lbs) with a high body fat % (over 50%). I also have growth hormone deficiency but I'm on human growth hormone to help with that.

Problem: I know everyone has different fat distribution, but I've never seen anyone who looks like me. I've the usual double chins, bingo wings, back fat, huge belly but I also have a tyre of fat between my boobs and belly like an extra set of boobs, a lot of fat above my pubic area, more fat like a second butt around my bottom, and lumps coming out of my legs that look like footballs coming out of my thighs and calves (but I don't think they're lipomas). I've looked like this since 4 years of age.

My questions:
1) do I look like this because I'm short, super obese and very high body fat?
2) taking into account you're not psychic, do you think my body will look more normal as I lower my weight and body fat?
3) apart from diet and weight lifting, have you any suggestions to help with this process? (I know you can't spot reduce and not looking for it, just tips to help improve my body composition).

Thank you, my fitness pals

Replies

• lonerockz
    lonerockz Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Based on your profile and weight lost so far you probably have more to teach me than I have you!

The body you describe is probably just a function of height & weight. As with lots of folks that lose a LOT of weight when you do finally reach goal you may need some cosmetic surgery to deal with extra skin. The fat reduces, but often the skin does not reduce by the same %.

I'll tell you what's worked for me with body composition and maybe it will give you some ideas. I started with pretty modest exercise. But as I lost more and got in better shape my heart rate would not rise as much as when I started. This meant that I had to exercise longer or harder to burn the same calories. For example when I started on the stairmaster (about 3 months into my weightloss) I would burn 180 calories in 10 minutes (really high burn). The speed was at an average of 65 steps/min. Now 3 months later to burn the same calories I have to set the machine to an average of 75 steps/min. On the elliptical I've had to up the resistance, but now I'm maxed out on that as my hips start to hurt if I set it too high.

I've found that for weight lifting nothing really beats the big 3 whole body movements. Squats, Deadlifts, & Chest press. With real weights, not machines. Having to balance and move real weight really does help with whole body composition.

After 7 months of loss My 14 day rotation is:

Leg Day - Stairmaster (5), Squats (6x4), Deadlifts(6x2), Lying leg Curls(10x3), Leg Press(10x3), elliptical (20)
    Circuit day - Stairmaster (10), Cardio Circuit with light weights: Alternating Deltoid raise(10), Plank(30sec), dumbbell curls(10), Lunges(12 steps each leg), Barbell chest press(10) (on a bosu ball, not a bench, very light weight) Butt lift bridge(15), Barbell rear delt row(10). 6-7 minutes on a circuit, 3 minute rest, repeat 3 times. Then elliptical (20).
    Arm Day - Stairmaster (10), Barbell bench Chest press(10x2,8x1,6x1), One arm dumbbell row(10x2,8x1,6x1), standing dumbell press(10x3), standing biceps curl(10x3). Then elliptical (20)
    Circuit Day
    Leg Day
    Circuit Day
    Rest
    Arm Day, Circuit Day, Leg Day, Circuit Day, Arm Day, Circuit Day, Rest day.

Circuit days are about 950 calories burned in 70-75 minutes, Strength days are about 750 in 60-70 minutes. I'm a guy so I burn faster, you'll be less than that. Depending on your fitness level you may have to start more modestly. Its taken a while to work up to this. My circuits when I started where pretty simple easy exercise. I've had to increase difficulty and weight as I've gotten in better shape. For example I started with Lunges with no weight, moved to 5 lbs in each hand, then 10, then 15 now I do it with a 40 lbs barbell on my shoulders. Planks were 5 seconds, now 30.

Having a fitness tracker with a built in heart rate monitor really helps track accurately. If my fitness tracker shows that I'm no longer getting as good a burn I make things harder.

Good luck!
  • Zombieinkpot
    Zombieinkpot Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much for your detailed advice. Very inspiring and very much appreciated.