Eating too little?

I started to low carb on Tuesday and have been feeling quite good and have already seen some weight loss and feel lighter which is good.

However, I am worried that I am eating too little? I have been very satisfied with my meals/small snacks so don't want to eat just for the sake of it but my calorie deficit seems to be too low, especially on days when I exercise.

The main reason behind the low carb is that I have Type 1 Diabetes and I just find that my BG levels are alot better controlled when I eat less carbs and that I lose weight better as I am not injecting loads of insulin (I am really resistant to insulin, so if I have alot of carbs I really need to give a high dose).

My diary is public so any advice would be welcome!

Replies

• JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Your only eating 1,000-1,200 calories. Unless you goal is to acquire a third world looking physique or you are a 4 foot midget, yes you are eating too little. Assuming you keep those cals up and don't life weights, your on that one way ticket to skinnyfatville. Seen it a hundred times.

Put the cals up and don't rush, how much do you weigh?
  • emmalou25mk
    emmalou25mk Posts: 25 Member
    238lbs so I do have a lot to lose. I'm not in a rush as I know the process will take a while. I am working out alot, but not lifting yet.

Eating clean, healthy foods is a lot more filling than my diet before which is where I am struggling as I physically don't feel hungry. I guess I will add some nuts in for more cals that are low carb and healthy fats. Trying to avoid fruit as even that plays havoc with my blood glucose levels.

• mariannehgv
    mariannehgv Posts: 34 Member
    edited May 2015
    Eating very little for just a few days at a time is no problem at all. Just make sure that in any given week the average calorie intake is higher, so the idea of eating nuts sounds good.
    I find that on days after a heavy workout I am more hungry. For me it works well to then listen to my body and eat more than my calorie goal, whilst eating less on other days.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Don't worry about it. After a few days/weeks hunger will come back and you will eat up to satiation on the good stuff. A week or two of low eating won't kill you.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Your only eating 1,000-1,200 calories. Unless you goal is to acquire a third world looking physique or you are a 4 foot midget, yes you are eating too little. Assuming you keep those cals up and don't life weights, your on that one way ticket to skinnyfatville. Seen it a hundred times.

Put the cals up and don't rush, how much do you weigh?

What do you mean by "skinnyfatville"? I ask because, sometimes I eat as low as 1000 a day. And I sure don't want any problems. My goal set by MFP is 1200. .
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    @JakeBrownVB. I am looking it up. There are a lot of photos. Interesting.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    edited May 2015
    Skinny fat is basically the predicament people get themselves in when they only focus on losing fat as fast as possible and neglect all thoughts of maintaining or preserving there muscle mass. It's when you end up being ridiculously low in weight and scrawny but still unhappy because your stomach, legs, arms and other problem area etc are still wobbling like slabs of jelly because you are completely un-toned.

Which would you prefer, being toned with a flat stomach at 130lbs and able to eat 2k cals.

Or untoned with flabby bits at 110lbs and 1k cals.

Sure you weigh less in option 2 and it is easier to achieve (which seems to be most womans goal, to get as light as possible), but the logical choice is option 1 and so if you want to achieve that, you need to steer your goals and mindset in that direction
  • emmalou25mk
    emmalou25mk Posts: 25 Member
    Before I got Type 1 Diabetes in March 2014 I weighed 190lbs, exercised at a bootcamp doing strength training and cardio, ate 1800-2000 cals a day and looked great considering i was still classified as overweight (am 5ft7).

I'm not actually concerned about a number on the scales (well obviously I would like it to be less). But I do want to look good, have a lean figure and overall healthy body. Struggling to adapt to learning what works best for my blood sugars and also what works best in terms of diet.

I was chatting to my boyfriend about my cals and he asked if I tracked my oil in my diary which I don't, I use 2 tablespoons a day (one for breakfast with my eggs, and one at dinner when I cook my meat/veggies) so that is another 200 cals right there?

Thank you for the responses!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    I think as long as you know for sure you're staying above 1000 calories a day you'll be fine. There always seems to be something we don't log acurate or we miss all together which can add up to 100-200 calories a day to bring you to the 1200 goal. That is as long as you aren't constantly hungry. I think you'll find the more intense your workout routine is you can have more calories and still see consistent weight loss. When I started working out more and lifting weights I bumped it up to 1400 per day and I'm still consistently losing weight. I keep a close eye on everything I log and how much I work out. If I see the weight loss slow down then I have the room to lower it a couple hundred calories. My opinion is you want to give your body as many calories as you can and still be right on track with your weightloss goal. Remember weightloss is not a sprint it's a marathon. It is very difficult to give your body all the proper vitamins and nutrients that it needs on 1200 calories let alone 1000. You don't want to be skinny and flabby. A healthy muscle tone body is what we should all be striving for. Check out the nutrition breakdown of what you're currently eating and see if you have a healthy balanced diet. I recently added a daily multi vitamin to my routine to make sure I'm meeting my body's nutritional needs while I'm on a low calorie plan.