Added HIIT to my routine

Options
I added HIIT routines to my exercise this week... and I have actually gained weight.... I know its because of the workout itself and it will eventually fall off.... but I LOVE the workouts! I know the scales lie ;) I follow this channel on YouTube... FitnessBlender

How many have tried HIIT, and how long before you noticed new results since adding the exercises in?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• vicky_b329
    vicky_b329 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'd be interested in seeing some answers to this, too. I'm actually planning on doing an HIIT workout tonight. Usually I lift or just do plain cardio. I'm excited to try something new.
  • hollyblucher
    hollyblucher Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've heard really awesome things about HIIT. I looked up a few different workouts on Pinterest to try out. I'm really close to my goal so I'm hoping this amps up my progress!
  • donnaypb
    donnaypb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love the HIIT classes. It really pushes me. One question is how do you record it in your exercise log? I've been putting circuit training but I'm not sure that is right.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    the closer to your goal, the less you will want to rely on HIIT, and more on longer LISS, at least if attempting to preserve as much lean mass as possible while eating in a deficit.
  • suska007
    suska007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT! I had results in about 3 weeks and did it consistently for 1 year. With eating super healthy and clean, I was in the best shape of my life then. Now I do strength training and HIIT. My favorite youtube channel is ZuzkaLight or www.zuzkalight.com. And for strength training www.lovingfit.com
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My trainer gave me a running HIIT workout to do 3x a week (this is the first week), he has also changed my 30 minute workout with him to HIIT (once so far this week, have another session today). I'm hoping this is the answer (along with some of my recently discovered health issues) to my 7 month long plateau.
  • proud3boymama
    proud3boymama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I
    started HIIT about 3 weeks ago and saw an increase in weight too, but I very quickly noticed my clothes were fitting better. I am very happy to report that the scale is going down and fast! My trainer switches them up each week to keep my body guessing. He told me today that he just read that a 4 minute (20 on - 10 off) set burns more calories than 2 hours of basic cardio! I am sold and look forward to learning all kinds of HIIT.
  • Inittolozeit
    Inittolozeit Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love the HIIT classes. It really pushes me. One question is how do you record it in your exercise log? I've been putting circuit training but I'm not sure that is right.

I add it in myself, I have a HRM monitor :)
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Okay, now I'm officially curious, gotta google this to see what it's all about!:happy: Anything to mix it up!
  • Inittolozeit
    Options
    I
    started HIIT about 3 weeks ago and saw an increase in weight too, but I very quickly noticed my clothes were fitting better. I am very happy to report that the scale is going down and fast! My trainer switches them up each week to keep my body guessing. He told me today that he just read that a 4 minute (20 on - 10 off) set burns more calories than 2 hours of basic cardio! I am sold and look forward to learning all kinds of HIIT.

Thanks for this response!!! Maybe I will put the scale away for a month! Yeah right! I am a scale junkie.... Trying to only weigh once a week now.... Cannot wait to see numbers go back down :)
  • Inittolozeit
    Options
    Okay, now I'm officially curious, gotta google this to see what it's all about!:happy: Anything to mix it up!

I actually heard about it from a friend at church so I typed it into YouTube and found some awesome ones... It's hard, for me I'm out of shape and over weight.... So it's extra hard lol! But I burn tons of calories!
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    He told me today that he just read that a 4 minute (20 on - 10 off) set burns more calories than 2 hours of basic cardio! I am sold and look forward to learning all kinds of HIIT.

NO WAY 4 min of HIIT will equal a 2 hour run...even at 12min miles you are still looking at well over 1000 cals in 2 hours (100cal/mile), and i dont think it is possible to burn more than 250 cals a min, no matter how hard you are HIITing. And i prefer my cals to be burned primarily from fat stores, not sugars, when i do my cardio.
  • ckrollins6
    ckrollins6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The thing about HIIT isn't the calories you burn while doing it, it is the calories you continually burn the rest of the day.
  • Inittolozeit
    Options
    the closer to your goal, the less you will want to rely on HIIT, and more on longer LISS, at least if attempting to preserve as much lean mass as possible while eating in a deficit.

I am no where near my goal yet :) a little over 50lbs to go!
  • Inittolozeit
    Options
    The thing about HIIT isn't the calories you burn while doing it, it is the calories you continually burn the rest of the day.

Yes!! I did a 50 minute walk in the morning then did HIIT for another 30 yesterday and I was hungry allllll day! I ate though, I learned quick you have to eat to lose :)
  • longtimeterp
    Options

"EPOC. Then there's HIIT's biggest selling point: EPOC. According to the study HIIT has an EPOC of 14% vs 7% with steady state cardio. So if 30mins of HIIT burns as much as 30mins steady state cardio, that's 342kcal vs 321kcal.

Do 30mins HIIT 3x/week (which is a lot) and you'll burn 252kcal per month extra from EPOC. Since you need to burn 3500kcal to lose 1lb fat this is insignificant. But again, these numbers are estimates."

-stronglifts
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    OP thanks for the FitnessBlender youtube channel. Looks awesome.
  • Inittolozeit
    Options
    OP thanks for the FitnessBlender youtube channel. Looks awesome.

Your welcome!!
  • suska007
    suska007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Here is another link that has amazing workouts. You can sort it by time, equipment, no equipment, circuit, and much more. I have been doing a lot of these lately. Hope it helps.

http://litealloy.com/workouts/tags#fb-root
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I used Fitness Blender all winter when it was too cold to get out of the house. I got great leg muscles from it. I'm 1 week into one of their programs to get total body strengthening.