Advice for Pushups

Options
2»

Replies

• MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Oh and another word of advice try and keep your hands straight like...where they are pointing? I used to turn my fingers in towards each other and that is KILLER on your wrists and tires you out faster.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Negatives, and wall push-ups. As you get stronger support yourself with smaller and smaller objects until you are flat on the ground.

Can I ask, what are negatives?

I can do 5 push ups on my toes at a time. If I break in between, I get up to 15 (3 sets of 5).
    I was able to do 10 at once in April, and that was working up from none, but then I was very ill for 3 weeks and am now getting my strength back.

Start with wall push ups if you can't do the modified yet. Work towards the floor!
    You aren't the only one having difficulty, so know that it does get better!!
  • Heidi_11913
    Options
    I have this problem too. :( I started 30DS on Monday and pushups is one that I suffer with the most.... I TRY to do a regular push up(make it to either 1-2) and then I do the "girl version" and even with those I struggle. I don't find that they're a whole lot easier than the regular version. :(
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I really like this site - helped alot - http://www.hundredpushups.com/#sthash.jIhldPwa.kGQWKBf0.dpbs
  • Scrappie54
    Scrappie54 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stand about arms width from wall and push yourself away from it. This is called vitical pushups which will do the same thing as on the floor. This is good for anyone who as arthritis.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I had to start with girl push-ups. I used the Runtastic Push-up app and started at the start then worked my way up to 100 (total) girl push-ups in a session then I backed it down and started over with regular push-ups.

I also do bent over rows, lat pull downs, and assisted chin ups.

I wouldn't recommend starting with girl push-ups (I learned this the hard way) since they engage your core in a completely different way. As in, they don't engage your core nearly as much. Using the bar on a Smith Machine is helpful if you have one at your gym. Then you can move it down incrementally and track your progress until you are doing push-ups on the ground.

I can do real push-ups now and I love it!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Negatives, and wall push-ups. As you get stronger support yourself with smaller and smaller objects until you are flat on the ground.

I can do 5 push ups on my toes at a time. If I break in between, I get up to 15 (3 sets of 5).
    I was able to do 10 at once in April, and that was working up from none, but then I was very ill for 3 weeks and am now getting my strength back.

Start with wall push ups if you can't do the modified yet. Work towards the floor!

A negative pushup would be lowering yourself slowly toward the floor. A "negative" of most lifts would be the opposite of the main motion (ie a negative pullup would be slowly lowering yourself down).

Here's a clip for the general idea.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pHvvD7oqA
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

A negative pushup would be lowering yourself slowly toward the floor. A "negative" of most lifts would be the opposite of the main motion (ie a negative pullup would be slowly lowering yourself down).

Here's a clip for the general idea.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pHvvD7oqA

Thank you for the explanation!! I will watch the video this evening, YouTube is blocked at work
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Don't do "girl" (fake) pushups, do regressions and negatives.

Start against the wall with perfect form, and increase the angle until you're finally parallel to the floor.

I can't do a real sit-up (unanchored feet), yet I can do a 3" plank and lots of push-ups. Don't feel bad.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and could never do push ups in my life until I did 30 day shred with Jillian. All those planks etc and now I can do pushups.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think it may depend on what a persons issue is with traditional pushups. For me, it wasn't about my core, I could hold planks for a long time. My problem was it hurt my shoulders and mid back. So the knee pushups took enough weight off to get me going.
    I had to start with girl push-ups. I used the Runtastic Push-up app and started at the start then worked my way up to 100 (total) girl push-ups in a session then I backed it down and started over with regular push-ups.

I also do bent over rows, lat pull downs, and assisted chin ups.

I wouldn't recommend starting with girl push-ups (I learned this the hard way) since they engage your core in a completely different way. As in, they don't engage your core nearly as much. Using the bar on a Smith Machine is helpful if you have one at your gym. Then you can move it down incrementally and track your progress until you are doing push-ups on the ground.

I can do real push-ups now and I love it!
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Incline Pushups and then use lower and lower objects. Another idea would be to do kneeling pushups, but over time use a backpack with weight in it or a weight vest to get yourself strong enough to do regular pushups.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Try keeping your elbows close to your body rather than pointing out. - you'll get better leverage. Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwRLWMcOdwI
    I realized recently that I had been taught pushups the older way - with elbows forming a T, as opposed to an arrow with the body

Is that just inefficient? or is it also wrong form? It's difficult getting my body to do it this way now