Meniscus Tear

Options
IsaackGMOON
IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
I was squatting 2 days ago (I follow 5x5 strong lifts) and I heard a 'pop' noise on my way back up. It was my last set, last rep. My form was fine, according to my gym buddy; but I can't completely put my trust in him.

My knee felt quite weak and it hurt to put any pressure on it, so I just finished the rest of my workout (bench press and barbell row/pendlay row) and it felt fine.

I went to the doctors yesterday just to make sure it was fine and he said I had a Meniscus tear. He said he wasn't entirely sure if it was longitudinal or lateral. Nor did he give me any sort of recovery time.

My question is, when I return to the gym will my lifts go down because I haven't been doing the compound lifts?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Right now, that's the least of your worries. If your have a meniscus tear, you need to rehab that knee (if possible), or get it repaired/trimmed and then rehab your knee. Then you can worry about the effect on your lifts. It's not going to get better on its own. Depending on the size/location of the tear, you might be able to deal with it w/out surgery, or you might not. I don't know what kind of doc diagnosed your tear, but you should be able to get a referral to physical therapy and start working on it.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Right now, that's the least of your worries. If your have a meniscus tear, you need to rehab that knee (if possible), or get it repaired/trimmed and then rehab your knee. Then you can worry about the effect on your lifts. It's not going to get better on its own. Depending on the size/location of the tear, you might be able to deal with it w/out surgery, or you might not. I don't know what kind of doc diagnosed your tear, but you should be able to get a referral to physical therapy and start working on it.

He said it wasn't terribly serious, and that if it was, it'd be a lot more swollen so it shouldn't need surgery. He told me to self refer to a physiotherapist, which I have. The Doc did say that if it locks or experience any other problems after 6 weeks then I should make another appointment.
  • Dball0227
    Dball0227 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tore my meniscus back in November had 2 surgeries, first was a repair but it didn't work, retore it in April and 3 weeks ago had it cut out, about 25% removed. My ortho said I should be back to full activity by the end of June and gave me some exercises to do at home. He said I could go to physical therapy but we opted not to as I have been in and out of PT the last 5 months and I really don't like paying $80 a week in copays, also I already have the exercise program and resistance bands at home. For reference mine was a bucket handle tear of my lateral meniscus, no popping sound but my leg was locked in a slightly bent position for a few days until it slowly went back to full ROM. Of course with the partial removal I am more susceptible to arthritis as I get older.
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Had a very similar injury recently- and got very similar advice from the doctor. Not going to the PT yet, due to insurance issues.

I cut out all my leg exercises except for glute bridges :( Hoping my knee heals with time and I can go back to my routine.

OP, let us know what your outcome is since this is a very common injury.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    I was squatting 2 days ago (I follow 5x5 strong lifts) and I heard a 'pop' noise on my way back up. It was my last set, last rep. My form was fine, according to my gym buddy; but I can't completely put my trust in him.

My knee felt quite weak and it hurt to put any pressure on it, so I just finished the rest of my workout (bench press and barbell row/pendlay row) and it felt fine.

I went to the doctors yesterday just to make sure it was fine and he said I had a Meniscus tear. He said he wasn't entirely sure if it was longitudinal or lateral. Nor did he give me any sort of recovery time.

My question is, when I return to the gym will my lifts go down because I haven't been doing the compound lifts?

What does the MRI report show?

HAve you had it read by two seperate MSK radiologists?

I was not given an MRI or X ray because it was deemed not serious enough.