My mom Does not belive that a calorie deficit is for weight loss and carbs only make you fat

Options

Replies

• megablackk1d
    megablackk1d Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm 48 (probably older than your mom)

I lost 53 lbs in 9 months, 3 months at maintenance ...my diet is 50-60% carbs (white toast, white rice, crisps, potatoes...yum) but I hit minimum protein and fats macros first and eat a lot of veg

I did low carb 3 or 4 times in the last 30 years, each time I lost quickly (water weight) and put back on just as quickly, and more so (crash and burn from restriction)

I lift heavy and I look feckin' awesome ;)

Nice keep doing your thing
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything from google she won't believe any of it, she keeps saying she wants something from a scholar, doctor, or actual scientific evidence. She thinks I have a biased mind off of what Ive read and watched from the internet.

The American Journal of Medicine database will have properly conducted scientific peer reviewed studies, but she'd actually have to care enough to purchase access to the related articles, such as "Caloric intake, not carbohydrate or fat consumption, determines weight loss" by Richard Fleming
  • megablackk1d
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    How does what she believes affect you?

it doesn't just trying to help her
  • megablackk1d
    Options
    Are you still living at home? Do you agree on everything with your mom? Have you both learned to respect each other enough to allow each other to 'respectfully agree to disagree' on any topics? At 20, you can set your own boundaries. Sure, if she's nagging or meddlesome, that might be an issue....it's things like this that allow young adults to realize when it's time to leave the nest, if they haven't already. Let her live her life, and you live yours. That means though you shouldn't expect her to cook food for you that you want. If you are old enough to set your own parameters and boundaries, you are old enough to buy and cook your own food, too. :)

I say just quit trying to change her life, and focus on your own. And use the above as guidelines for talking points with her if you want, because it's coming from a 63 year old grandma. :) (who combines low carbs WITH calorie counting.) ;)

I do buy and cook my own food, and no we respect each other I love my mama haha
  • megablackk1d
    Options
    I have tried everything from google she won't believe any of it, she keeps saying she wants something from a scholar, doctor, or actual scientific evidence. She thinks I have a biased mind off of what Ive read and watched from the internet.

The American Journal of Medicine database will have properly conducted scientific peer reviewed studies, but she'd actually have to care enough to purchase access to the related articles, such as "Caloric intake, not carbohydrate or fat consumption, determines weight loss" by Richard Fleming

Thanks ill look it up
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I lost 53 lbs in 9 months, 3 months at maintenance ...my diet is 50-60% carbs (white toast, white rice, crisps, potatoes...yum) but I hit minimum protein and fats macros first and eat a lot of veg

I did low carb 3 or 4 times in the last 30 years, each time I lost quickly (water weight) and put back on just as quickly, and more so (crash and burn from restriction)

Only shared so you can show her ...but it's up to her what she does ...it's her life and your is yours

Nice that you love your mom but don't try to live her life for her, she's not dumb, she just has her own ideas ...if she wants to find a better way she will
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Have you shown her the success section of this site?

A picture is worth a thousand words, and here's a lot of pictures: https://www.pinterest.com/darrensurrey/mfp-success-stories/
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Check out this MFPer: http://www.wimble.com/obesity-to-omg-one-womans-journey/

In her 50s!
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    oh no! don't show her THAT! she'll jump on the "zero calorie diet sodas make you FAT" train! lol
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    My mom technically believes in CICO but, refuses to do it because it is too hard and takes too long. She tried it not even 2 days and stopped. She thinks as long as she eats what appears to be happy she will lose weight. Since February I have lost 33 lbs and she has gained about 5. I let her believe what she wants and let my results speak for themselves.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My mom still believes that a calorie deficit is not the way to weight loss, and believes carbs are the only reason for gaining weight.. She claimed that at one point she tried the "Calorie Deficit" with carbs and still gained, but she never ways her food or does not even know her total daily energy expenditure, and was eating more than she thought she was. Can anyone link me to a scientific article with absolute proof of the calorie deficit is the way for fat/weight loss PLEASE! Nobody listens to me around here...
    Ask her how she thinks the human body can create energy out of nothing. If it could it would be the single biggest discovery in the history of humankind. It could solve our energy problems, end world hunger and many wars.
  • megablackk1d
    Options
    My mom still believes that a calorie deficit is not the way to weight loss, and believes carbs are the only reason for gaining weight.. She claimed that at one point she tried the "Calorie Deficit" with carbs and still gained, but she never ways her food or does not even know her total daily energy expenditure, and was eating more than she thought she was. Can anyone link me to a scientific article with absolute proof of the calorie deficit is the way for fat/weight loss PLEASE! Nobody listens to me around here...
    Ask her how she thinks the human body can create energy out of nothing. If it could it would be the single biggest discovery in the history of humankind. It could solve our energy problems, end world hunger and many wars.

alright ill try
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Or, you can just show her the folks low carbing it (and finding success) in the GAINING WEIGHT forum.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Hi Op, show your mum the YouTube video I have given you the link to below and tell her that this guy lost all that weight from eating at a deficit and walking. He is on MFP and you can add him as a friend I'd you like. His is one of the success stories I use as my inspiration when I feel like quiting. Oh, my oldest boy isn't that much younger than you and he knows that if he wants me to loom at something that he has to catch my attention. He usually uses the hey mum come and see this line on me and most times it works
    Here is the link:
    https://youtu.be/MNo_0vE8rCk
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Is your mom's weight a big medical concern right now? Like is she very obese or having health problems that losing weight would help? Or is it not a big deal if she doesn't lose weight?

She wouldn't even look at that bro, I just tried

If she won't look then, sadly, you should let it drop. I say sadly because CICO gets results and your mom is likely going to be frustrated in her efforts without recognizing that truth.
    My mom died overweight. She probably wouldn't have believed she could just count calories either.

Your mom has the biased mind.
    She should stop asking for scientic proof if she is unwilling to look at it. Ask her to find you scientic proof that a calorie deficit does not work for weight loss.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

If your mother has serious health issues from being overweight, why don't you ask if you can go with her to her doctor?

If you're just trying to win an argument, then drop it.

• megablackk1d
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

If your mother has serious health issues from being overweight, why don't you ask if you can go with her to her doctor?

If you're just trying to win an argument, then drop it.
    I am not trying to win an argument haha I am trying to really explain to her what it takes to lose weight.