can running be bad for you like can it do you harm

Options
2»

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The serious problems that running can cause are repetitive strain injuries due to not allowing sufficient time for your body to adapt to the new stresses of running, or due to small biomechanical problems (such as leg length differences) that don't make a difference walking, but do running.

The way to deal with those is to take it easy, concentrate on good form, and listen to your body. You can do that regardless of your weight. Heavier runners do put more stress on their bones and joints than lighter runners, which is why form is especially important. The best way to improve form is to concentrate on cadence (steps per minute). Experienced runners often have a cadence of 180 or higher (mine averages around 198). By taking many short steps, you bounce less (putting less strain on your legs) and land toward the middle of your foot, which is easier on the foot than landing on your heel. Ideally you want to think of yourself as gliding forward, not bouncing, with your body above the hips moving up and down as little as possible.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, as a beginner, your running intervals (on C25K or some other program) should be relatively moderate. I recommend the "talk test": if you can't talk in complete sentences when running, you're going too fast and should slow down.

Lots of other good advice above. Walking is a good place to start. Once you can walk for 40-45 minutes at a fairly brisk pace, then you can start C25K. Be sure to take the rest days, though you can walk or cycle on them. Pay attention to any aches and pains, and if you get a severe pain, or one that gets worse rather than better, stop running immediately, rest for a couple days, and if it recurs, see a doctor.

Cycling is great cross training, by the way: it provides a good workout but it's much lower impact than running.

EDITED TO ADD: There are some minor problems that running can cause, too. Blisters are one. Chafing is another, especially for heavier runners and those who sweat copiously. But you can learn to deal with those (Body Glide or tape for chafing, tape or sock liners for blisters).
  • fat_killer1
    fat_killer1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    B)
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If your heart is able to handle the stress, read up on HIIT using a cardio glide

???? You want to take a 300 pound couch potato and have him do HIITs? HIITS are not some magic solution to everything. He is much better off doing some low intensity steady state cardio to strength the heart, and drop some weight. Walking on a treadmill will strengthen joints and ligaments just like running, but without as much impact.

Why would you want someone just starting out to feel like they want to puke after their workouts?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    The serious problems that running can cause are repetitive strain injuries due to not allowing sufficient time for your body to adapt to the new stresses of running, or due to small biomechanical problems (such as leg length differences) that don't make a difference walking, but do running.

Yes - sometimes the biomechanical issues don't make themselves known until after an injury occurs. And, sometimes even scrupulous attention to form doesn't help with them. And, you know about how every pound of extra weight adds 3 to the knees and 6 to the hips.

I think there's more risk than reward for someone with your stats, OP. I think it'd be better to wait to run until you're closer to your goal weight, and to stick to walking and other low impact activities until then.

(Maybe someone remembers who it was that did a comparison of speed walking and running, where although running almost always burned more calories, speed walking actually came out pretty well?)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    i want to do a c25k but am like 300 pounds and am very unfit dont walk more than 5 min a day -_- i was think if i did 4 weeks of 20 min bike riding and then start the c25k , the thing is im afraid of injurying my self . shoud i start after i lose more weight ? is it safe thanks

If you can barely walk right now, you need first a walking plan. You cannot start a c25k program until you can comfortably walk for at least 30 minutes.Start with a plan to walk a 5k first. If you are concerned about running being more "effective", walking is great exercise. Start slowly, at a comfortable pace and keep increasing distance. Give your body time to adjust. Do not be in a hurry, and you will get to running.
    There are programs to start walking with a goal to run, like this one:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/getting-started/runners-world-start-walking-plan-7-weeks