ED Recovery Question (#s TW)

badwolf4
badwolf4 Posts: 49 Member
Does anybody have experience recovering from a restrictive ED at a healthy weight? My problem is my health is deteriorating and I'm being forced into the Maudsley treatment program. I'm very unhappy about this as I'm going to have to gain weight when I'm already a /healthy/ weight. Literally exactly what my doctors said my ideal weight was 70lbs ago. But that's just it, I've lost 33% of my body weight and now my heart rate is 43-45 bpm on the EKG when I was in the ER the other night and similarly low on check-ups.

Anyways, this all started not two days ago, but the Thursday before. That night we brought my calories up to 1200, the next day 1400, then 1600, and then 1800 until Wednesday when we upped it again to 2,000. I feel disgusting and I hate this. I understand I need to stabilize my weight and recover, but... I've gained 5lbs since last Saturday. How can this be right? I know for people who were actually underweight water retention would explain it, but I can't seem to find information regarding normal BMI "atypical anorexics".

Maudsley is basically inpatient treatment enforced in a home environment to minimize disruption to the patient's (me) life. So my parents are sitting with me for every meal, tracking my food along side me in MFP, and completely in control of my food. They've also made sure I'm sedentary except for school (which, okay, I usually cover 2.5mi but that still qualifies as sedentary). I am graduating Friday! So then I'll be trapped at home with them 24/7 over the summer..

But, back to the 5lbs... If this is legitimate weight then I AM right that my metabolism is too slow and I need to reduce my calories back down. I do not need to gain any crazy amount of weight, I'm just fine (as invalidating as this is for me...)

I know you guys aren't doctors and I'll probably get in trouble for posting this, but it is a nutritional question. I am only asking because I do have medical support right now, just no access to them over the weekend. I am *not* asking anyone to fix me, just seeing if maybe anyone has any reassurance for me. I asked my mom who is supposed to be my support system and she touched on it for maybe a minute and half and said basically she'd be really happy if it was 5lbs.

Nothing makes sense and your guys's support has been invaluable in the past through my ED recovery. Thank you for reading, any comments/opinions are welcome.

Replies

• bezlooney
    bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
    Be happy you gained the weight. Its probably water weight however, due to the increase in calories. As you stay at the increased calorie amt. Your body will eventually adjust and youll go up in weight at first but then loose some as you settle into a rythm and your body will find its happy weight. This takes time and is hard at first but very worth it in the end. My best advice is to stop worring about the number on the scale and focus on how you feel instead.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    It sounds like you're not ready for recovery. I'm actually recovering from my ED that Ive had for 17 years. YOU have to want this. Let the program happen. There will always be a tomorrow. It took me until I was 27 to finally WANT recovery.

I know they said no exercise, but what about yoga? That really helps with eating disorder recovery since it teaches you relaxation techniques.

I hope you do get better. It really sucks being stuck in a world of misery.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    edited June 2015
    Recovery takes a long time. And having a healthy relationship with food does too. I had issues on and off from 13 to my late 20's. Now at 35, I'm no longer in a battle with it.
    My suggestion would also be to seek therapy. There are sometimes deep routed issues that you need to deal with before you can overcome the food thing. Good luck to you, my heart goes out to you.