Which deadlift do you think is the most effective?

Options
kmab1985
kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
I've spent today reading up on the different types of Deadlifts and its been really interesting to see how each one is done and which muscle groups they target etc. From what I've read I feel the American Deadlift seems ro be the most popular/effective (Im no expert,this is just my opinion from the research I have done) but what is your favourite deadlift and why?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    The conventional deadlift is probably best because of the full range of motion. Sumo deadlift is good if you have less mobility as it has a shorter range of motion and puts less shearing force on your spine. Hex deadlift might be more effective for lower body power because you can use heavier weights, however the conventional deadlift beats it for strengthening the hip muscles and erector spinae.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    The most effective for what? What is your goal in doing the deadlift?
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My goal isnt anything...I didnt ask what everyones goals were..just found the research interesting and because theres many variations of a deadlift I was just curious as to what everyone did...I dont need a goal to research something,I like the read...
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options

kmab1985 wrote: »
    My goal isnt anything...I didnt ask what everyones goals were..just found the research interesting and because theres many variations of a deadlift I was just curious as to what everyone did...I dont need a goal to research something,I like the read...

Your main question was "What deadlift do you think is most effective?" The context of that answer is going to be different based on the goals of the individual. Powerlifters might be conventional or sumo depending on leverages, femur length, torso length, etc... Bodybuilder might like stiff legged, Olympic lifters might like snatch grip...and all variations therein. Effectiveness tends to err toward specificity of the end users goal to be the most effective, thus is why I asked for clarification of effective for what?
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    The "Glute Guy" Brett Contreras prefers the American Deadlift to the RDL. So, me too!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I like conventional for all over strength. I like RDLs specifically for my hamstrings, so more for shape. Obviously there's a lot of crossover.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I like the single-leg RDL with a contralateral dumbbell. Good for lateral stability / balance (something lacking in most barbell-based programs).

And yeah - "effectiveness" is relative to goals. A screwdriver is an effective tool, but not for hammering nails.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »

Whelp......i guess there's no point to this thread then. I'll just move it along.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I like stiff leg deadlifts for hamstrings and glutes

Nothing builds a bubble butt like those and kettle bell swings

I did those today! Going down steps will be pain tomorrow :)

Standard deadlifts are on back day.

I love the core and trap work. I usually do bicep curls after deadlifts as a finishing exercise.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Asking what type of deadlift is most effective is like asking what is the tastiest ice cream.

Each variations has its benefits and its drawbacks depending on your physical limitations or lack thereof. The best deadlift is the one you do and do with good form. It is also very goal dependent as they each work to develop slightly different parts of the main muscle groups and their stabilizers.

It is good you are doing research into the various types of lifts. Though it might be wiser to determine what your goal is going to be and then research programs that can get you there. Almost every program that I have ever run across will eventually change up the type of deadlifts, squats and other exercises at some point to get you past a plateau and to the next level. Above all it is not so much the type of lift you do, it is the use of the proper form as you lift that is most effective.

Good Luck!
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do half deads, RDLs, one legged ones with a DB and sumos...
  • dalansteiner
    dalansteiner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Trap bar deadlifts are generally safer than straight bar for beginners.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I mostly do conventional these days. Stiff leg serves their purpose but my training program hits the hamstrings with other lifts so I'll just throw them in once in awhile for a change.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Effective as in letting me move the most weight with the least stress on my body? Modified sumo - everything just works better for me with my mobility and morphology.

Single leg / stiff legged / Romanian are accessory work to hit the hamstrings hard and I do them when my programming calls for them.