Help with running

Options
Bg388
Bg388 Posts: 91 Member
I have hit a wall in my running routine. I've never been much of a runner anyway, but I was up to running 3 to 4 miles and feeling ok afterward. This last week I have tried to build up to 5 miles, but I am exhausted after just 2 miles. What gives!?!?

Replies

• lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating enough of the right things? Sometimes little changes in the diet can seriously affect our stamina! How long have you been running for? It is possible you are over exerting yourself, especially as you say you've never been much of a runner. It's better to train slow and steady and build yourself up than push yourself too far!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Are you running outside and it's substantially hotter/more humid this week?

Are you running faster, either on purpose or on accident?

Life factors involved--getting sick, eating less, not drinking enough, stressed at work, not sleeping?

Are you trying to jump from running 3-4 miles every day to running 5 miles every day, or are you making one run per week a little longer? (Folk wisdom is to increase *weekly* mileage no more than 10%)
  • Bg388
    Options
    Thank you all. I've been increasing a little every day and i alternate running a mile or a mile and a half and then walk a mile or mile and a half as I build up to 5 miles. That has been working great but this week has been horrible. Maybe it was just more stress at work thay depleted my energy.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Are you running every day? Sometimes you really need a rest day in the mix to prevent burn out.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight? If you are running out of fat to burn you may need to watch to make sure you are consuming enough carbs for running. Good Luck
  • Bg388
    Options
    I have lost weight, but I have not ran out of fat to burn. I wish though.
  • Bg388
    Options
    Are you running every day? Sometimes you really need a rest day in the mix to prevent burn out.

I don't run everyday. I have a rest day, circuit training day, and a walking day built in to my week.
  • Bg388
    Options
    Bg388 wrote: »

I don't run everyday. I have a rest day, circuit training day, and a walking day built in to my week.

I am using the Nike App on my phone that has a running program that I use.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Every workout is a good workout. Some days I just don't feel it and walk the whole time. I save my running for races but I do follow a what feels right to me jog walk pattern.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Run slower. Then when you feel like you're going too slow, slow down more. Building endurance takes time.
  • robinalexis
    robinalexis Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Try couch 2 5 k. C25K by Zen labs. It's free and the easiest to use. It gradually increases your running
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Run slower. Then when you feel like you're going too slow, slow down more. Building endurance takes time.
    This
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes, 'slow down' is the best advice I could give anyone!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Bg388 wrote: »
    I have hit a wall in my running routine. I've never been much of a runner anyway, but I was up to running 3 to 4 miles and feeling ok afterward. This last week I have tried to build up to 5 miles, but I am exhausted after just 2 miles. What gives!?!?

So to capture the thread, you're following the Nike+ training plan, presumably to get you to 10K, you cross train and you're in deficit trying to lose weight.

If you're finding yourself ovetired part way through a run then it may be overtraining, or you may be underfuelled. Given what you've said it's unlikely to be the former, but it may be that latter.

What's your planned deficit, and how closely do you get to goal each day?