Replies

• 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Water, drink water. unsweetened tea or coffee helps me too
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Join the low carb group. Up your fat. You are young and need it. Carbs you dont need.

What does this have to do with OPs question? She's also getting a healthy level of dietary fat, more fat is not going to do anything for her health just because shes young.

She went to 35g of fats one day. And low after that until yesterday when she couldn't take it any more and she had 95g. Fat is filling. It is not a villain. She needs to make hormones and repair her body. Again, reduce your carbs to 100g, which should all be coming from veggies (I agree). Leave out the fruit for a while, vit. C is in veggies too. And up your protein a bit too. Take it easy on the loss, good things happen slowly.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If I read any more advice about eating more veggies, I am going to .....well anyway. You need to reduce your carbs to at least 100 and up your fat intake. Also, fight the urge to snack. Sit and feel if you are really hungry. If not, dont eat. Do something else. Trying to make yourself full by stuffing your stomach with veggies is the wrong idea. Your brain needs to get the message that you are satiated. No eating every hour because your stomach is empty.

Err she just has to eat at a deficit, just because you are pro low carbs doesnt stand up well to many who enjoy and successfully lose without going low carbs. Clearly not very open minded or respectful that there is more than one way to lose weight, with the most important aspect being able to maintain a consistent calorific deficit followed by a need to ensure the person is getting sufficient nutrition.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Join the low carb group. Up your fat. You are young and need it. Carbs you dont need.

What does this have to do with OPs question? She's also getting a healthy level of dietary fat, more fat is not going to do anything for her health just because shes young.

She went to 35g of fats one day. And low after that until yesterday when she couldn't take it any more and she had 95g. Fat is filling. It is not a villain. She needs to make hormones and repair her body. Again, reduce your carbs to 100g, which should all be coming from veggies (I agree). Leave out the fruit for a while, vit. C is in veggies too. And up your protein a bit too. Take it easy on the loss, good things happen slowly.

How do you know OP "couldn't take it any more"
    Why should "all" her carbs be coming from veggies?
    why should she reduce her carbs below 100g, what is that going to do?
    why should she leave out fruit?
    How much fat exactly should she be getting for her age to "make hormones and repair her body"
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    What are your stats (height, weight, etc)?
    do you exercise?
    do you eat back your exercise calories?

5'9, 244 eating 1400-1600 daily.
    I don't eat back wo calories, mainly because with the arthritis in my knee and chest (yes, I have arthritis in the joint that connects the ribs to the chest and goodness me don't ever get it) I'm only able to burn about 300 calories per gym trip before my knee is twice the size. (Dr is hoping weight loss will help ease this)
    I never go below 1200 daily WO/food combined

Why are you eating so few calories? I am 5 foot 7 and weigh 205, and I eat over 1800 calories a day and am losing. Perhaps you're hungry because you're not eating enough.

• doreent1952
    doreent1952 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You don't need to reduce your carbs to 100. You don't have to deprive yourself of anything. As long as you keep your calories to what amount you are allowed per day you should be fine. Per my dietician (I am type 2 diabetic) I'm allowed to eat 3 main meals a day allowed 45 carbs per meal, and 2 snacks a day of 30 carbs allowed per snack. I don't feel hungry because it seems I'm always eating every couple of hours. I have managed to lose 56 pounds since last June. My meals are smaller but I never feel like I am starving. My weight loss is slower now because I am close to my goal weight but I'm sticking to it. I bought my first size 8 jeans this morning and am feeling really good. I've never as an adult wore a size 8. My blood sugar is normal now. After your first week of dieting you should be getting used to the lower calories and not feel so hungry anymore. Good luck. It is a long process but well worth it.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

do you exercise?

I don't eat back wo calories, mainly because with the arthritis in my knee and chest (yes, I have arthritis in the joint that connects the ribs to the chest and goodness me don't ever get it) I'm only able to burn about 300 calories per gym trip before my knee is twice the size. (Dr is hoping weight loss will help ease this)

When I read your post it sounds like you are having a hard time. My advice is to ask yourself if you have felt like you are feeling now before (if you have ever tried to lose weight). If you have what happened ? If you have tried then I guess it hasn't work. If you haven't tried how long you think you can stick at it ? MFP allows you to relatively accurately control the amount of weight you are going to lose. It does this by working out how much energy you are going to use and then deducts x amount and then allows you to eat the right amount for your planned weight loss. If you don't eat all of the calorie allocation (by frigging the calculation and not adding in your exercise) then you will be losing weight faster than you have planned. This will cause you to feel more hungry, it will mean you are going to burn lean body mass and although the scales may show a greater reduction, the extra reduction will be from your muscle. The most difficult thing I ever grasped from MFP was the simple fact my body obeys the laws of biochemistry like everyone else's and does't do what I want it to do even if I want it to do it very much:-) Another big thought change for me was that I asked myself where I wanted to be this time next year rather than this time next week. People are giving you very good advice based on their own pain, discouragement and failure (I know I am :-)) If you want to be at a good weight May 2016 then (If I was you) I would (1) Increase my calorie deficit to give 1lb a week and (2) make sure I book all of my calories and eat back at least 80% of them. In a couple of weeks I ould then think about reducing my calories to 1.5 or even 2lb per week. Get though the getting started phase and then wind it up. Learning from other peoples failures is the clever thing to do, far less painful and time consuming than failing and having to learn the hard way. Good luck though whatever you decide. MFP has changed my life and I hope it does for you to.
  • jnv7594
    Options

I agree that eating enough fat is important, but there is no need to limit carbs unless you have a medical condition.

• Longshot520
    Longshot520 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stimulants suppress appetite. Green tea works especially well. Plus sometimes hunger can be compounded by thirst. Iced green tea with some stevia is delicious in the summer time, will hydrate you, and knock your hunger down a bit.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Proteins and fats. They will help satiate you when you feel hungry. Or aim for 1lb a week loss instead and up your calories so you don't feel like eating your leg all the time. :)

I have to echo this. By increasing my protein and fat intake, I generally don't get hungry.

• jnv7594
    Options

Not necessarily. I don't limit my carbs. I also typically eat between 80 and 100 grams of fat per day. My fat intake is not an indication of anything other than I tend to eat more because it's satiating for me. Just because she increased her fat does not mean she couldn't take it anymore. Honestly, there is no need to limit carbs. If she chooses to on her own, fine, but it's not necessary for weight loss or to feel satiated.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Day 6 of using MFP and staying under my 1.5lb goal calorie intake...
    And I am so so so hungry! :(
    I really need help, filling foods that are good for me, ways to defeat the hunger, any bit of advice.
    I'm so determined to do this, but this hunger is too much!

A couple things from your diary:
    First, you seem to be eating one full meal each day and much smaller meals the rest of the time.
    Second, you seem to be eating some very calorie dense and low volume foods, so you must be hitting your calorie target without much to fill you up. You're actually getting much more calories than I am.

I try to shoot for meals that are more spread out, at least 3 a day. Lunch is usually 4-6 oz of lean protein, some vegetables that give good bulk (85-170 grams), and some bread for simple carb. Dinner is about the same, but I might actually be lighter. If I'm hungry between meals, an apple or some other fruit.

If I have calories left over, an evening snack. I'm a little over 1500 cals on a day I don't exercise and I'm rarely feeling very hungry.
  • Shan0Marie
    Shan0Marie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You've made some really high calorie, high fat choices the last two days, I'm not surprised that you're hungry! To maintain the deficit required for a 1.5 lb per week loss, you're going to have to incorporate some lower calorie, higher volume choices every day. You can still eat the other stuff, but less of it.

I realize today was horrible... We went out and celebrated my mom's birthday and, while I'm dedicated to what I'm doing, I also don't see it feasible for me as a lifestyle change to not indulge in these rare occasions.
    My biggest problem today was being so hungry before I ate, I are EVERYTHING in site!!
    I want to do what will work for me forever, not to get to my goal now. I realize that at this point it's either be hungry today, go over my calories, or eat and get back to the gym.
    But overall, I've been so I increasingly hungry all week!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and yeah i would be hungry too.

Its all about food choices too is my humble opinion. I am a volume eater So lots of veggies in my daily intake.
    I have a smaller calorie amount to spend as you but for sure i eat more on a daily base

Here what i eat for 1356 calories. And notice to huge amount for the evening snack lol. I could easily fit more in my day if i took some of those away there. But i chose to eat my evening snacking.

Breakfast 171 calories

Yuban - Coffee, 18 oz. 6 15 1 0 0 0
    Egglands Best - Vegitarian Fed Hen Eggs, 1 egg 70 65 6 0 4 0
    Generic - Zuchini, 50 grams 9 4 1 1 0 131
    Great Value - Nonfat Yogurt- Plain, 30 g 15 20 1 0 0 69
    Strawberries - Raw, 30 g(s) 10 0 0 1 0 46
    Private Selection - Wild Blueberries (Frozen) 3 lb Bag, 30 g (3/4 cup) 17 0 0 1 0 0
    Kroger Private Selection - Frozen Peaches, 30 grams 11 0 0 0 0 0
    Tomatoes - Roma, 61 g(s) 13 5 1 1 0 135
    Great Value - Lower Sodium Bacon Accurate, 0.5 slices 20 43 1 0 2 20
    Equate - Adults 50+ Complete Multi-vit, 1 tab 0 0 0 0 0 80
    Nature's Bounty - High Potency D3-1000iu, 1 softgel 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Nature's Bounty - Fish Oil -omega 3 - 1000mg, 1 softgels 10 0 0 0 1 0

Lunch 116 calories

Potatoes - Red, flesh and skin, baked, 34 g 30 3 1 1 0 185
    Radishes - Raw, 127 g 20 50 1 2 0 296
    Oranges - Raw, navels, 135 g 66 1 1 3 0 224

Dinner 285 calories

Bb Usda - Podded Peas (Snow, Sugar Snap), 11300, 100 g 42 4 3 3 0 200
    Mushrooms - Raw, 95 g(s) 21 4 3 1 0 298
    Zuchini - Usda Data Raw Fresh, 98 gram 14 10 0 1 0 254
    Carrots - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 100 g(s) 35 58 1 3 0 235
    Potatoes - Red, flesh and skin, baked, 79 g 70 6 2 1 0 431
    Talapia - Fish, 4.13 oz cooked 100 41 22 0 1 0
    French's - 100% Natural Classic Yellow Mustard, 2.5 g (1 tsp) 0 28 0 0 0 0
    Kroger - Olive Oil Cooking Spray, 1/4 sec spray 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Ms Dash - Original Blend, 2 g 0 0 0 0 0 29
    Spices - Black Pepper (Ground), 1 g 3 1 0 0 0 13

Evening snack 774 calories

Winona Pure - Natural Butter Flavor Canola Oil, 1/5 second spray 0 0 0 0 0 0
    kernel seasons - kettle corn seasoning popcorn, 1 tsp 20 0 0 0 0 0
    Orville Redenbacher's - Original Popcorn, 7.5 tablespoons 300 0 10 15 4 0
    Generic - Great Value Whole Natural Almonds, 1/2 cup (28 almonds) 320 0 12 6 28 400
    Bb Usda - Podded Peas (Snow, Sugar Snap), 11300, 32 g 13 1 1 1 0 64
    Zuchini - Usda Data Raw Fresh, 92 gram 13 10 0 1 0 238
    Prime Time Produce - Sweet Mini Peppers, 61 gram 18 0 1 1 0 129
    Fiber One - Chocolate Peanutbutter Chewy Bar, 1 bar
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Further like mentioned here before maybe make your deficit smaller.
    When you suffer it is harder to stay on track so why do that to yourself?

I am fine on what i am doing, you not. Chose a way to be happy and satisfied so you dont get so hungry and unhappy.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    what davert said.

Pretty much everyone sets themselves up as sedentary when they first start on MFP. Surprisingly... most of the people who do so.... aren't.

On top of that there is a culture that exercise calories are a weird bonus that should never be touched: they are so overblown, etc, etc, etc.

While there is a LITTLE bit of over-estimation on caloric burns (in particular when you see gross as opposed to net calories displayed), for most people, well over 50% of the exercise calories should absolutely be eaten. And if your "caloric burn" comes from running, or walking, or steady state cardio which are quite well researched, almost ALL of your exercise calories should be eaten back. Because MFP has NOT included that exercise burn when you told it you were sedentary. And it has already deducted 750 calories from your food because you've told it you want to lose 1.5lbs a week.

A very quick TDEE calculation says that you should probably be losing between 1.1 and 1.2lbs a week with a 20% TDEE deficit which would put you to EATING between 2106 and 2374 Calories a day. You are eating 1400 to 1600, so... yes, you will be stupidly hungry, losing more muscle mass than you should, and even more importantly, unable to sustain this.

With 70+lbs to go, what do you think is more important: actually getting there, or getting there by next May instead of August or September, or even October if you slow things down more?

So, once you figure out your calories, which are obviously unsustainably low, then yes, you should troubleshoot what you're eating and concentrate on things that fill YOU up and are what I like to call "caloric bargains".

For some people this could be pizza, for other people it is veggies. I personally have a hard time viewing pizza or pasta as a good caloric bargains as I tend to eat a lot of them and they tend to not fill me up. But I am sure that somebody in this world thinks they're great for them!

In any case, I have personally found that eating more meat and veggies/salads/fruits and less high glycemic load carbs I tend to feel full longer. And high protein greek yogurt (with stuff mixed in), that I also like!

Now, don't get me wrong, I eat almost 50% carbs, and I certainly enjoy my fruits and yogurts, so this puppy ain't on a low carb/low sugar diet. And I certainly still eat the occasional slice(s) of bread, or an english muffin, or chocolate covered almonds, or ice cream for that matter. But that's the operative word: occasional, as opposed to with every meal.

Anyway: I think you've had more than enough good advice to get you going :smile:

Now let's see the thread degenerate into low carb vs not :wink:
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    If your schedule allows it, I've had success delaying my mealtimes a little. I can tolerate hunger in the morning, but less so as the day goes on, so getting the bulk of my calories later-ish in the day has helped me quite a bit. I'm the kind of person that likes to feel "full" when I eat, so I also tend to eat 3 decent sized meals.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    do you exercise?

Try eating back half of your exercise calories. 100-150 more calories of food may make a difference between being hungry and not.
    Protein, fats, fiber will help you feel satisfied. Check to see if you are getting enough.
    Drink water.
    Change your goal to 1 lb a week. You can still lose steadily without being hungry every day.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would recommend high protein / high fiber. The energy you get is amazing. You get a higher volume of food this way. To farther win the mind game, I eat my veggies frozen, one at a time like pop corn so it takes me longer to eat.