Does Apple cider vinegar actually help?

Options

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    AlayshaJ wrote: »
    Please do your own research. People on mpf always think they are right and everyone else is wrong.

What does the research say?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
    Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Please do your own research. People on mpf always think they are right and everyone else is wrong.

I totally agree with this. From what I'm reading, everyone's information is "inconclusive" . This article says one thing, while another article says another. What works for one person, may not work for someone else. From my experience, you can't believe EVERYTHING you read on the Internet....

as one person put it:
    Authoritynutrition, despite its name, is not an authority on nutrition.
    SO, who do you believe?

I believe in using this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed and google scholar and seeing what the consensus of most of them seems to be.
    Studies. Articles can be ignored a lot of the time since they often don't even manage to properly talk about what the study even said. And then we've had this chocolate diet business going on where someone purposely published a completely bunk study to see how fast it would get published in news articles without fact checking.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

What does the research say?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!

LMAO!

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/...ple-cider.html

"Given the scientific implausability behind most of vinegar’s claims, not surprisingly, there is no scientific evidence that it has any medicinal properties. The FDA has even issued warning letters to nutraceutical companies selling apple cider vinegar products for making unsupportable claims that it reduces cholesterol levels or hardening of the arteries; lowers risks for heart disease, heart attacks or strokes; or is effective for conditions ranging from obesity to arthritis. Even the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), a division of the National Institutes of Health specifically tasked to investigate natural or unconventional modalities, has found no studies to support vinegar. "

"M.D. Anderson, according to Natural Standard Monograph (2007), also warns that theoretically, long-term use could diminish bone mineral density and interact with and increase the risk of toxicity of cardiac glycoside prescriptions, such as digoxin; and potentiate the potassium-lowering effects of insulin, laxatives and diuretics, such as Lasix. "

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-n...egar-myth.aspx

"Proponents of the health benefits of apple cider vinegar cite testimonials from people who believe that drinking apple cider vinegar has helped them, but is there any evidence to back up these claims?

Alexa Schmitt, a clinical dietitian at Massachusetts General Hospital, says, "No." While a few studies have been conducted on the possible health benefits of apple cider vinegar, the number of people in these studies is typically small, and the evidence is not yet convincing. "We have to look at the science," says Schmitt. "One or two small studies is not enough to prove a benefit." ..... No evidence at all. Even Layne Norton and Alan Aragon blast this into oblivion and how stupid it is.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    http://altmedicine.about.com/od/applecidervinegardiet/a/Apple-Cider-Vinegar-Weight-Loss.htm
    Due to the lack of supporting research, apple cider vinegar cannot be recommended as a standard treatment for weight loss. If you're looking to lose weight, the National Institutes of Health recommends following a weight-management plan that pairs healthy eating with regular exercise.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    It does work for getting the stink out of workout clothes!

I agree, vinegar (can be white vinegar) is a great laundry rinse aid, and there are lots of other practical household uses for it.

HOUSEHOLD uses, like cleaning coffee pots.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Due to the lack of supporting research, apple cider vinegar cannot be recommended as a standard treatment for weight loss. If you're looking to lose weight, the National Institutes of Health recommends following a weight-management plan that pairs healthy eating with regular exercise.

Astonishing!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

a lot of people who do their own "research" have no clue how to actually research...if people did know how to do actual research, the diet and fitness industry at large would be doomed.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Astonishing!

It's ground breaking I tell you! :D
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking apple cider vinegar mixed with water 2 x daily for ten years. I started drinking it because I read that it would prevent colds, and... I haven't had a cold for ten years. I've been informed there's no science that will support this, so I guess it must be some kind of magic. It hasn't had any effect on my weight though.
    Nor have my teeth fallen out (I drink it through a straw).

Studies tend to be done on things companies can make lots of money on. As apple cider vinegar can't be patented, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any studies to prove anything one way or the other.

However, as it costs about £2 per bottle, I would recommend trying it for yourself, and you'll soon discover if it has any benefits for you.
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I will say this...I've taken ACV for sore throat, colds, GERD, and a few other things. It's way better than medicine and i do feel kinda better but i wouldn't say it helps in the weight loss department. I think of it as a great drink to improve your overall health. Plus it is better than sugary soft drinks or juices.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I don't have any cavities and I sleep with socks on every night.

Big industry can't make any money off my cavity prevention measure, so, there's no science to back up my claims, but you can pick a pair of socks up at the Dollar Tree and buy your way to dental health.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you're still losing weight you're not "in a rut". Lol.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It may help with metabolism by helping to increase insulin sensitivity, and therefore glucose metabolism. I'm sure it has many other benefits as well. The way to take it is before a meal. I'm sure there are other uses and administrations, but that's the one I am familiar with. The dose I read about was 50g, if you use a food scale=-)
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    I've been drinking apple cider vinegar mixed with water 2 x daily for ten years. I started drinking it because I read that it would prevent colds, and... I haven't had a cold for ten years. I've been informed there's no science that will support this, so I guess it must be some kind of magic. It hasn't had any effect on my weight though.
    Nor have my teeth fallen out (I drink it through a straw).

Studies tend to be done on things companies can make lots of money on. As apple cider vinegar can't be patented, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any studies to prove anything one way or the other.

However, as it costs about £2 per bottle, I would recommend trying it for yourself, and you'll soon discover if it has any benefits for you.

There you have it people. I wonder why pharmacies still sell any cold medicine instead of apple cider vinegar. It's amazing how pretty much any topic on here that has no real backing, you're always defending.

Hmm... let's see... could it possibly be because... they make shedloads of money selling cold medications?

Americans spent $4.2 billion on nonprescription cough and cold remedies in 2011, according to the Consumer Healthcare Products Association.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    I don't have any cavities and I sleep with socks on every night.

Big industry can't make any money off my cavity prevention measure, so, there's no science to back up my claims, but you can pick a pair of socks up at the Dollar Tree and buy your way to dental health.

Funny. But that would only be a comparable example if you used to get cavities two or three times a year before you started wearing your socks to bed.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    I wear boxers every day, I've never been hit by lighting. Boxers ward off lightning strikes.

If you had been hit by lightning twice yearly your entire life, and then those lightning strikes abruptly ceased once you started wearing your boxers, then I'd say you might be on to something.
    Particularly if other people, unconnected to you, also reported the same thing.

Or perhaps you'd wait for Fruit of the Loom to sponsor a study on it before you mentioned to others that it might be a good idea to try wearing boxers during a thunderstorm.