Do yall eat back the calories you burn during exercise?

Options
124»

Replies

• jrniven
    jrniven Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I never eat them back., and I don't get bonked or tired. I will however sometimes before playing hockey eat more calories because my games are late, and I need to have calories to burn. I would say 90% of the time I do not eat them back. Do what works for you. Keep an eye on your body fat %, your weight, and how you feel. Do what works for YOU.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat them all back.....just remember you need a 500 calorie deficit a day to lose 1 lb a week.....either through cutting calories or with exercise.

If you set MFP up at maintenance then not eating them back is right because you have no deficit otherwise. If you're set to lose weight the deficit is already there. That's why you eat them, or at least a portion of them, back. You already have the deficit to lose as long as you set up your account with a loss goal.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Never, it would defeat the purpose.

Sigh. You're wrong. You obviously don't know how the system that you are using works. PLEASE PLEASE, EDUCATE YOURSELF. Did you read ANY of the info in this thread? Or when you signed up?

You know what? I don't care. In fact, you should just stop eating, eating defeats the purpose right?

BWrO7Ur.gif

Corey Matthews FTW.

I try and eat my exercise calories back & if I'm not hungry I'll eat half of them.
  • ldstrange
    ldstrange Posts: 17
    Options
    I will usually eat half of what I burnt.

Me too...I try not to eat more than half of them back...but I confess...sometimes that ice cream is just soooo hard to resist. :)
  • hdtracy
    hdtracy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've seen this done two ways - if you're saying 'no' I don't eat my exercise calories back - then there should still be a followup question to that which would be, "Well, what do you normally net in a day?" If your goal is manually set (which I find myself and a lot of my MFP friends have done, so I've maybe falsely assumed this is what a lot of people do?) If you're not eating back your exercise calories but have a higher goal and are netting at least your BMR, then I think you're still okay. I wouldn't do it, but you're probably not going to actively hurt yourself most likely.

If you're not eating back your exercise calories and as a result, you are netting less than your BMR - then you're in trouble. You'll probably see a few pounds down at first and assume that you've clearly found the answer! (The logic seems to be "Well, if a 500 daily deficit is good, wouldn't a 1500 daily deficit be even better?") Problem is that a couple weeks/months down the line, you're more likely to find yourself stuck. Not saying this happens to everyone because of course all our bodies work differently and blah, blah, blah.

Just saying that if you're netting below your BMR (which is just what your body needs to pump blood through your veins and keep you breathing), any logical person would realize this is eventually going to cause some negative consequences.

For the record, I eat every little one of those suckers back that I can. They're yummy :) And it's generally done right before I go to bed because I also work out at night :) I work a desk job, so MFP likes to recommend I net 1200 a day. My BMR is about 1700, so that was just not going to work for me! haha.