How to re-motivate after injury/illness?

Options
Hey all!

Preface; in the last year I have undergone 2 major surgeries, and bounced back into the gym without much concerns, and was in the gym 5 days a week and up to 2 times a day. I was training for Muay Thai Nationals, and I believe that I might have pushed my body to extremes.

Present; I have recently just began to recover from an auto-immune attack on my joints; what started out as 1 swollen finger 2 weeks ago, lead to numbness and swelling in 6/10 fingers, and swollen ankles, knees, wrists, and hips. I was forced to begin an anti-inflammatory med, which caused me to put on water weight, increased fatigue & increased hunger. I am wanting to get back into training, but I am having such a difficult time motivating myself to get back, d/t the medications.

I am just looking for some ideas on how all my lovely friends on MFP have been able to overcome barriers to continue on.
Much love
<3

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Dont jump back in at the level and intensity you were at pre meds. Imo think before you restart.

Alter your raining to take into account your new physical state and design a workout that takes hat into consideration. If you dont have the energy look at phasing it back in shorter workouts less intensity etcc till you build up. pace yourself.

Review your diet to deal with the hunger.

Review every day your mentality and how you are coping. You should start off ready for setbacks and go with the flow to deal with any disappointments or frustration with setbacks or slow progress. You are looking to push through. Be patient and take it one day at a time, looking after yourself is very importnat if you wnat to make it throygh as efficiently as possible. Good luck.