having withdrawl symptoms

Options

I am usually a every day scale type girl. I have always been and when my heart messed up it became necessary. (good excuse). I know most people say dont do this but you dont hear that so much anymore. But I am trying something new. Usually when I weigh myself it doesn't help me to stay on my food plan. If I lost I seem to eat more or have something I shouldn't or in a wrong amount ...anyway I go over my allowed food plan. You would think it would encourage me to keep doing better but for me it doesn't if I gain then I get discouraged and depressed and eat so that doesn't work

HERE IS MY NEW PLAN :# am only going to weigh on Tuesday. That way I will not know what I am doing weight wise and I will have a surprise each Tuesday.
Don't worry about I should be weighing everyday because of my heart I can tell you before hand if I have to much fluid and I can handle that and will weigh then.

Yesterday (saturday) my first day not to weigh and it was ...ok ...kinda
Sunday this morning not so ok I am being drawn to the scale so I am bigger than the 4 pound scale and think I can over take it...but it is strong I have to admit that

I will let you all know how the scale battle ends up :#
please stay in touch with your comments
May 31, 2015 6:05AM Flag Quote

boopsiegrl
You can use BBCode in your post.
Home • Social Groups Preview

Calorie Counter
Blog
Terms
Privacy
Contact Us
API
Jobs
Feedback
Brands
Community Guidelines

Copyright 2005-2015 MyFitnessPal, Inc.

SheKnows Health & Beauty
Click here

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Your profile and diary is marked private.. I can't see what type of goals you have or anything...

As far as your scale issues... do what you need to do for you.. no one else can do it for you and if you have a new plan, try and stick to it...

Much luck with it.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 48 and that scale thing is a killer but you can do it. I know it's probably the wrong thing to do but I would get so depressed on the scale I gave the scale to my mom. Cause I would keep getting on it and say but I'm trying so hard. Now I will never drive 3 or 4 times a day to my mom's maybe twice a week ok 3 times tops a week. lol With the scale not in my home I'm now focusing on what I'm eating and how I'm feeling. Sometimes I run over to my parents and forget to jump on the scale. I wish I could have been strong enough to just throw away the scale but it was too strong for me too. Stay strong and I would love to be part of your motivation buddy group.
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The only possible downside to your plan is that weight loss is not linear. In my experience biggest losses often happen after a few days of weight climbing up. You can stand on the scale on Tuesday, see you haven't lost anything or even gained some and feel discouraged for the rest of the week not knowing that your weight went down an lb or more by Wednesday morning.

I stand on the scale daily personally. But I don't treat those numbers as absolute. It's more of a way to learn how my body reacts to certain things and to stay aware of some general trends. On some days I expect to see a gain and I'm perfectly fine with it. Days after a particularly long walk or an intense workout fall into this category. I tend to get heavier on the morning after a job well done. Sometimes salty food happens, other times it's hormonal – I'm fine with that as well, because I know it's not possible to gain that much weight in such a short amount of time, I know it will be gone soon. I do not celebrate low numbers either. If the drop was too rapid I totally expect a bit of bouncing back to happen. Sometimes it happens, other times it does not. Sometimes I feel my stomach is particularly light or I have not drank enough water and I know that's not what it will be like tomorrow. So yeah, I weight myself daily but it's a routine, not an obsessive competition with anyone or anything.

I also use a trendweight.com (inputting manually through a fitbit account). It calculates a trend and builds a graph based on moving average, which is pretty cool, because you can gain for few days in a row and still see your graph going down. It works the other way as well. Your weight can jump up and down drastically but the red line stays stable and knows where it's going. Here's my recent progress for example (in kg; 1kg = 2.2lb):

3m.png

If you have a habit of standing on the scale regularly, I see nothing wrong with it personally. It's just important to treat those results as an imprecise and a highly dynamic data and not a verdict on your worth as a person. For some people it's actually easier this way, because doing something daily makes it seem less special. It becomes a routine.

If you feel that once a week is a better way for you, good luck with that as well! Whatever works, really. Just remember that those results need not to be taken to the heart either, or you'll risk feeling down or overindulging for a whole week based on a rather random result of 1 single day.
  • boopsiegrl
    boopsiegrl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    taentea wrote: »
    The only possible downside to your plan is that weight loss is not linear. In my experience biggest losses often happen after a few days of weight climbing up. You can stand on the scale on Tuesday, see you haven't lost anything or even gained some and feel discouraged for the rest of the week not knowing that your weight went down an lb or more by Wednesday morning.

I stand on the scale daily personally. But I don't treat those numbers as absolute. It's more of a way to learn how my body reacts to certain things and to stay aware of some general trends. On some days I expect to see a gain and I'm perfectly fine with it. Days after a particularly long walk or an intense workout fall into this category. I tend to get heavier on the morning after a job well done. Sometimes salty food happens, other times it's hormonal – I'm fine with that as well, because I know it's not possible to gain that much weight in such a short amount of time, I know it will be gone soon. I do not celebrate low numbers either. If the drop was too rapid I totally expect a bit of bouncing back to happen. Sometimes it happens, other times it does not. Sometimes I feel my stomach is particularly light or I have not drank enough water and I know that's not what it will be like tomorrow. So yeah, I weight myself daily but it's a routine, not an obsessive competition with anyone or anything.

I also use a trendweight.com (inputting manually through a fitbit account). It calculates a trend and builds a graph based on moving average, which is pretty cool, because you can gain for few days in a row and still see your graph going down. It works the other way as well. Your weight can jump up and down drastically but the red line stays stable and knows where it's going. Here's my recent progress for example (in kg; 1kg = 2.2lb):

3m.png

If you have a habit of standing on the scale regularly, I see nothing wrong with it personally. It's just important to treat those results as an imprecise and a highly dynamic data and not a verdict on your worth as a person. For some people it's actually easier this way, because doing something daily makes it seem less special. It becomes a routine.

If you feel that once a week is a better way for you, good luck with that as well! Whatever works, really. Just remember that those results need not to be taken to the heart either, or you'll risk feeling down or overindulging for a whole week based on a rather random result of 1 single day.

• boopsiegrl
    Options
    That is great you are so stong but my mind goes a whole different way so this is what I will try for now wish I was more like you
    Hi I'm 48 and that scale thing is a killer but you can do it. I know it's probably the wrong thing to do but I would get so depressed on the scale I gave the scale to my mom. Cause I would keep getting on it and say but I'm trying so hard. Now I will never drive 3 or 4 times a day to my mom's maybe twice a week ok 3 times tops a week. lol With the scale not in my home I'm now focusing on what I'm eating and how I'm feeling. Sometimes I run over to my parents and forget to jump on the scale. I wish I could have been strong enough to just throw away the scale but it was too strong for me too. Stay strong and I would love to be part of your motivation buddy group.

• boopsiegrl
    Options
    Hey I would like us to be buddies through the BATTLE OF THE SCALE...but now I have another battle its the battle of Friends I don't know how to add you :p
  • taentea
    Options
    boopsiegrl wrote: »
    taentea wrote: »

3m.png

That is great you are so stong but my mind goes a whole different way so this is what I will try for now wish I was more like you
    Oh, I'm not strong at all. In fact I've started my journey with weighting myself once a week. It worked fine for the first 2 weeks when I saw expected loss, but then I got stuck and saw no change or even small gains for 3 weeks. Seeing a number like that and then not knowing what's going on for the rest of the week - that was just too much for me. Someone here on MFP pointed me towards that trendweight site, so I could watch the general trend and not feel so stressed over particular ups and downs. It helped.

So I wrote my post above to give you another option in case weekly doesn't work for you either. I hope it works though. Best of luck to you.
  • boopsiegrl
    Options
    could you tell me how to find the site
  • taentea
    Options
    boopsiegrl wrote: »
    could you tell me how to find the site
    The site is trendweight.com but it expects you to use wifi scale, so you only need to stand on the scale without caring about numbers. If you don't have the wifi scale (I don't), it will accept a connected fitbit.com account where you can input numbers manually. This is how I do it: log my weight on fitbit and then check trendweight to see how I'm doing. WiFi scale would make it much easier but it's not a big deal.