Cereal

Options
socajam
socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
I had 1.5 cups (60 grams) of cereal this morning with 1 banana and 8 ounces of milk (2%) and I am starving hungry. How do others cope with eating cereal for breakfast.

Replies

• MiawMiawMiaw
    MiawMiawMiaw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cereal anymore for that reason. The actual recommended serving sizes are ridiculous and I can't be trusted not to eat the whole box in a day or 2. (Cinnamon grahams are lethal!!!)

I've found that Porrige (Oatmeal) and eggs on toast are the way to go. =)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It' funny, if I eat just cereal for breakfast, I never stay full until lunch. For that reason (after self sabotaging myself that way) I decided that cereal is only to be eaten as part of my dinner. For me personally, I have to eat something high protein for breakfast (eggs are my thing) and then I'm fine. Maybe you need a different breakfast composition. Play around with it and see what works for you.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Have a heavy duty cereal (as opposed to sweet and low-nutrient) like plain Kashi Go Lean (not the sweet Kashis) or a cereal with protein added (Special K has a high-protein cereal, and there are other brands, too), and a 1/2 banana and that should be more filling.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I cope by calling it an appetizer.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cereal anymore for that reason. The actual recommended serving sizes are ridiculous and I can't be trusted not to eat the whole box in a day or 2. (Cinnamon grahams are lethal!!!)

I've found that Porrige (Oatmeal) and eggs on toast are the way to go. =)

Thanks. Normally I would have a high protein yogurt (Fage), with almond butter, banana and pumpkin spread to make a smoothie which keeps me full until lunch time. But wanted a change, which was a disaster hungry disaster today. I find eating oats tend to male me very bloated (even though I love it), so have decided to cut it out until I reach my goal weight. I cannot eat eggs, the smell makes me nauseous, bread is too salty, so I guess its back to making smoothies with either yogurt or almond milk.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Sugary cereals wont keep you full no matter how many bowls you eat.

Instead eat things such as plain rolled oats/steal cut oatmeal. Or a sweet potato lol.

Cereal is highly processed so I avoid them as much as possible unless I crave them on my high carb day
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Or a sweet potato lol.

Mashed white sweet potato with walnuts is the best breakfast ever.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Eat a snack between breakfast and lunch? I don't ever allow myself to go hungry. I eat pretty much every 3 hours. Keeps your metabolism up. Just a thought.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal 6 days out of 7. I will switch to a dry cereal (that has a 1 cup serving size minimum) only when I know that I'll be higher in the cals later in the day, and I make sure that I have extra protein in my morning snack.

But, in the past I have tried to have quinoa for breakfast - I heated it with 1% milk, cinnamon, and a diced up pear. It was quite tasty, and filling....it didn't quite have the creaminess of oats that I love, but, in a pinch is was fine and still had decent protein.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    On the mornings I have cold cereal, I have fage yogurt, and fruit. If I have a protein based breakfast, I am okay until lunch.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I had 1.5 cups (60 grams) of cereal this morning with 1 banana and 8 ounces of milk (2%) and I am starving hungry. How do others cope with eating cereal for breakfast.

Look for cereal with good fiber and/or protien numbers..... it's out there....... OR add something that gives you more fiber, protein, or fat.

Example: (original) Special K has protein, but is low fiber .... so I add milk (2% for a little fat) and a banana for fiber ....or you could add chia seeds or flaxseed

Oatmeal (has fiber and a little protein)... I make the oatmeal with 2% milk ..... or stir in chopped nuts (fat) .... or add peanut butter (fat) .... or add protein powder

Kashi GoLean has protein & fiber both .... I like to stir it into yogurt (protein) & top it with chopped nuts (fat).
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options

I don't :) I break my fast daily at 11am and have my biggest meal of the day. Today it was steak with mushrooms and veggies, cooked in butter. Going on 4:30 and I'm still feeling full.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I have Smartbran cereal with blueberries, chia, flax, walnuts, sunflower seeds and almonds plus skim milk. It fills me up all the way to 1-2 pm. Sometimes I eat 2 eggs over easy on a slice of Whole Foods seeded whole grain toast and that fills me till 1-2 pm.