Too much healthy fats??

Options
I like to eat almonds as a snack and have an avocado every day. The problem is that combined with other foods, even though the other foods are low fat, I am still over my allowance for fat through the day because of these healthy fats. Can you have too much of this? I don't like going over the allowance of grams of fat but those are my snacks of choice that keep me full and are low in sodium.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A lot of us treat the fat goals as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below. If you feel good eating this much fat and your calorie and other nutrition goals are being reached, then it sounds like you're doing great.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Too much to lose weight? Doesn't matter as long as you're in a deficit, if these foods help you stay within calories then eat them.
  • Debralww
    Debralww Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In moderation it's okay. The real question is, "What is moderation."
    Basically, fat adds calories and there's no way around that. If you're counting calories then yes, they matter.
    I forgo the cheese on the days that I eat avocado. The avocado is much healthier than cheese. 100 calories over your daily allowance on occasion isn't terrible.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fat is good. B) Ignore MFP's fat suggestions. Change your settings if you want so that you do not have to worry about going over. I have decreased carbs so that I can have more fat and oils in my day.
  • epixstudiosnh
    epixstudiosnh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am always well below my calorie goals, sometimes too far below because most of the other stuff that I eat is very low calorie.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magic about the macronutrient breakdown that MFP has as the default. They simply give one way of balancing your meals. If you prefer eating more fat and fewer carbs, just change the setting to reflect that. What I wouldn't do, though, is short your protein to allow for more fat, as the MFP default setting tends to be on the low side if your calories are low.

I changed my macros to 30% carbs, 35% fat and protein when I first started and now that I have higher calories I'm doing 40% carbs, 30% fat and protein.