Lost weight, looking great with clothes on...bikini, not so much!

Options
mom2ava07
mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
I need help! I was very successful in dropping nearly 40 pounds and went from a size 14 to a 2 or 4 (brand depending). For the first time in my life, I feel almost comfortable in my own skin, and look pretty good for a mom of 2. However, I need to tone up. I was running an hour a day 5 days a week and then noticed that apparently running alone does nothing to tone, and I quit.

I have heard of body recomps, but know nothing about them.

I'm looking to have a slightly toned body, and don't really want to look cut, bulky or similar. I personally don't like really muscular bodies on women, but don't want to look jiggly or like a body builder.

In the past I've used some of the beachbody products and really liked them, but ended up pregnant half through the Insanity program.

Does anyone have any at home work out programs or videos they could recommend for someone just looking to tone up enough to not jiggle? Do I need to just keep eating what I want within my maintenance calories, or is a special diet needed to get rid of this top later of fat?

I've looked at the beachbody 21 day fix extreme to maybe knock of this little bit of jiggle, but I don't know anyone personally that's used it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• afcgirl
    afcgirl Posts: 31 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think the ballet/barre programs would be perfect for you. I started Ballet Beautiful a month ago and love it. It is about lengthening and toning muscles, without getting too muscular. The barre programs (Pure Barre, etc.) would also work well. Also Tracy Anderson Method. Note that just because they are called ballet and barre does not mean they are easy. They are super hard!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about any beach body stuff. I would look into a beginner weight lifting program. Google new rules of lifting for women.
    You mentioned that you don't want to look like a body builder and that's fine. Weight lifting won't make you huge or bulky. Those people didn't get like that by accident, that look takes years of hard work. They didn't just lift some weights and suddenly become buff.. So you don't have to worry about that at all. If your looking to tighten everything up, I think weight lifting is the way to go.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't quit running just because it doesn't help tone - running is great cardio and is weight-bearing which is particularly important for us girls.

Try some pilates, yoga, and weights for toning. Swimming is also great. The UK NHS website has a load of free vids.
  • vypressme
    vypressme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about any beach body stuff. I would look into a beginner weight lifting program. Google new rules of lifting for women.
    You mentioned that you don't want to look like a body builder and that's fine. Weight lifting won't make you huge or bulky. Those people didn't get like that by accident, that look takes years of hard work. They didn't just lift some weights and suddenly become buff.. So you don't have to worry about that at all. If your looking to tighten everything up, I think weight lifting is the way to go.

100% This
  • mom2ava07
    Options
    I definitley want to get back into running because I was started to enjoy it. I just feel like it's a waste to have accomplished so much and look great til my clothes are off :-(

I really don't want to join a gym due to my work schedule, small children, and heavy sports demands of my children. I need something I can pop in the dvd player at 5 in the morning, or maybe just get some weights to do at home. I just don't know where to start I suppose. As in what type of weights and other equipment would I need in general to get started at home. As you can see I know how to lose the weight, but nothing about looking like a "hot mama" lol

How important is eating a special diet while just trying to tone?
  • JamesScapes
    JamesScapes Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Losing weight is fine, but you have to lift weights to shape your body in the way you want it. Check out Workouts That Work/WEIGHTLIFTING FOR WOMEN
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    "was running an hour a day 5 days a week and then noticed that apparently running alone does nothing to tone, and I quit."

Seriously, stop thinking this way, or you will gain the weight back and never get in shape. You need to think of exercise as something you will be doing, for life. If it is until you lose X pounds, get more toned Y body part etc, it will fail. The only way for exercise to be effective, is to actually do it. Long term. What exercise it will be, it does not matter as actually doing something. Find out what you like doing, what you can fit in your plan and do it. Not for 10, 20 or 30 days. But for life.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    "was running an hour a day 5 days a week and then noticed that apparently running alone does nothing to tone, and I quit."

Seriously, stop thinking this way, or you will gain the weight back and never get in shape. You need to think of exercise as something you will be doing, for life. If it is until you lose X pounds, get more toned Y body part etc, it will fail. The only way for exercise to be effective, is to actually do it. Long term. What exercise it will be, it does not matter as actually doing something. Find out what you like doing, what you can fit in your plan and do it. Not for 10, 20 or 30 days. But for life.

why? unless people are interested in health and fitness exercise is not required for weight loss.

to the OP do some resistance training or weight lifting.

A recomp is when you are eating at or close to maintenance and doing a progressive load lifting program/resistance training which causes more fat loss with muscle gain while maintaining your weight...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

why? unless people are interested in health and fitness exercise is not required for weight loss.

A recomp is when you are eating at or close to maintenance and doing a progressive load lifting program/resistance training which causes more fat loss with muscle gain while maintaining your weight...

I would assume most people, and especially a parent to young kids, are interested in health in the long run.
    But, she said she is not happy with how she looks. No matter what program she follows, it will have no effect long term if she cannot commit to it. She can spend hours lifting, running etc, if it will be "until" something happens and the goal is reached and then she quits, a year later her body will be back where it all started.
    From your posts, I can assume in general you like lifting. Which is awesome, but I am also assuming it is something you like and are commited to doing. I do not get the impression you are seeing at as a quick fix. If the OP just lifts or does a video or joins a class or whatever until she reaches a goal, and thinks of it as something to do until the goal is reached, it will be pointless. You cannot maintain muscle unless you keep exercising. So, if she is thinking of "I will do this until I get rid of this last bit of jiggle" what happens the day when she reaches her goal? She needs to fit something in her routine that she can keep doing. I get the impression you have found what works for you, but not just for 21 days ;)
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I would assume most people, and especially a parent to young kids, are interested in health in the long run.
    But, she said she is not happy with how she looks. No matter what program she follows, it will have no effect long term if she cannot commit to it. She can spend hours lifting, running etc, if it will be "until" something happens and the goal is reached and then she quits, a year later her body will be back where it all started.
    From your posts, I can assume in general you like lifting. Which is awesome, but I am also assuming it is something you like and are commited to doing. I do not get the impression you are seeing at as a quick fix. If the OP just lifts or does a video or joins a class or whatever until she reaches a goal, and thinks of it as something to do until the goal is reached, it will be pointless. You cannot maintain muscle unless you keep exercising. So, if she is thinking of "I will do this until I get rid of this last bit of jiggle" what happens the day when she reaches her goal? She needs to fit something in her routine that she can keep doing. I get the impression you have found what works for you, but not just for 21 days ;)

agreed but the running wasn't doing what she wanted so why continue running? to lose more weight? it's not required.

yes I lift...because I like it...to preserve muscle while I am losing weight. Will I continue lifting heavy...probably not...but I will lift...because I like it....and maybe when it's all said it done it will be heavy still.

The key for exercise is to find something you like that isn't a chore...and if she maintains a deficit it won't go back to where she started...it will be back to where she was before the exercise...

I am not saying to the op exercise until you get the body you want...but rather find something you love and it's a joy to do it...
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You need to lift heavy weights. Don't worry about looking like a bodybuilder, that will never happen.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    You need to lift heavy weights. Don't worry about looking like a bodybuilder, that will never happen.

No she doesn't...resistance training will work as well....I have a lot of female friends who don't life heavy and have very lean bodies, visible abs doing cardio and resistance training only...no heavy lifting.

As a heavy lifter I don't believe in pushing that on others...it can be suggested but not as the only remedy...

• HealthierCarol
    HealthierCarol Posts: 12 Member
    Options

agreed but the running wasn't doing what she wanted so why continue running? to lose more weight? it's not required.

yes I lift...because I like it...to preserve muscle while I am losing weight. Will I continue lifting heavy...probably not...but I will lift...because I like it....and maybe when it's all said it done it will be heavy still.

The key for exercise is to find something you like that isn't a chore...and if she maintains a deficit it won't go back to where she started...it will be back to where she was before the exercise...

I am not saying to the op exercise until you get the body you want...but rather find something you love and it's a joy to do it...

I previously lost 45 pounds with a good combination of dieting, cardio and lifting weights. The first time I seriously attempted to quit smoking, I gave up on the food side (ate pretty much as I felt, as long as I didn't smoke); I did, however, continued the cardio and weight-lifting. End result: I put on about 15 lbs., but never had to increase my clothing size due to the exercise regimen.

While someone may not see the need to continue to run (or do other types of cardio) in order to lose weight or change their body, if you enjoy it, it's a great stress reliever in addition to other health (heart/lung) benefits.

Weight lifting will shape your muscles, which may help with looking better in a bikini, and women don't get bulky without a LOT of training and additional hormones. It also helps with bone loss.

The bottom line is: you lose weight in the kitchen; you change your body in the gym (or in my case, my living room).
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Fat is very bulky compared to muscle

It is like comparing the size of a grapefruit being exchanged for a tangerine.

If you drop 15 lbs of fat, or grapefruits, and replace them with 6 pounds of muscle or tangerines... There is a huge volume difference

I would advise lifting hard and put on some muscle. It will not make you look like a man at all. Those women bodybuilders are on steroids. I workout at a large gym and occasionally with a few women in great shape. They just look like fit and powerful women. Confident. Definitely not masculine.

I have lost about 115 lbs of fat and been adding muscle for the last 3 months. Yesterday was a hard lifting day and I are maintenance calories.

It is hard to add 10 pounds of muscle!

Congratulations on your success with running. As determined as you are I bet lifting will work great for you as well

Best wishes!
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    For free, easy to do at home, reasonably short, and very beginner friendly, you might try looking into Bikini Body Mommy. All of her workouts are free on YouTube, and she continues to add new ones.
  • mom2ava07
    Options
    I think I should clarify my statement regarding was running and not toning so I quit.

I didn't quit just because of that and truly MISS running. I am am accountant who was pulling 60 hour min work weeks and with 2 young children. Total excuse I know that. However, when you have that much going on, and it's not giving the results you want it's easy to stop, step back and say I need to re figure out my long term plan. It's May, tax season is over, and I'm using the time to find a plan that I can fit in my schedule. Give me the results I want, make me healthier, and make it a lifestyle change :-)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    I think I should clarify my statement regarding was running and not toning so I quit.

I didn't quit just because of that and truly MISS running. I am am accountant who was pulling 60 hour min work weeks and with 2 young children. Total excuse I know that. However, when you have that much going on, and it's not giving the results you want it's easy to stop, step back and say I need to re figure out my long term plan. It's May, tax season is over, and I'm using the time to find a plan that I can fit in my schedule. Give me the results I want, make me healthier, and make it a lifestyle change :-)

My suggestion (coming from someone who lifts heavy and runs and know those who don't life heavy but are lean)

Continue running a few days a week and try heavy lifting if you have access to the equipment...if you don't like heavy lifting try Jillian Michael's 30 day shred at home or Extreme shed and shred or her body revolution...those seem to work great to help with the "softness" along with the running which you enjoy.
  • afcgirl
    Options

I keep seeing this repeated but how do you explain the women I see in real life at the gym or in internet photos who look more muscular than I want to look (and are clearly not on steroids)? I am not saying you are wrong, I am truly curious. Perhaps we all have different ideas of what a bodybuilder looks like?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Because looking like a body builder/getting bulky is easy...right.

Yes, eat at maintenance. Lift or do a body weight program.
    afcgirl wrote: »

I keep seeing this repeated but how do you explain the women I see in real life at the gym or in internet photos who look more muscular than I want to look (and are clearly not on steroids)? I am not saying you are wrong, I am truly curious. Perhaps we all have different ideas of what a bodybuilder looks like?

You have no idea what those women are doing. They could be eating in a surplus and have been bulking all winter, getting ready to cut. Or they love the way their bodies look and feel and work HARD to get the look they desire. You don't get that way from simply lifting weights and eating maintenance.
  • afcgirl
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Because looking like a body builder/getting bulky is easy...right.

Yes, eat at maintenance. Lift or do a body weight program.
    afcgirl wrote: »

You have no idea what those women are doing. They could be eating in a surplus and have been bulking all winter, getting ready to cut. Or they love the way their bodies look and feel and work HARD to get the look they desire. You don't get that way from simply lifting weights and eating maintenance.

Where did I say it was easy? We all work hard at fitness, whether it is a barre class, ballet, running or heavy lifting. And I assume they do want to look that way, it is just not my aesthetic. And that is exactly, my point, I don't know what they are doing, so I was looking for an explanation. I was just hoping it would be more polite. Oh well live and learn not to ask questions on these forums.