New to this, goal is 50 pounds

Options
Korriinn
Korriinn Posts: 26 Member
Hey guys, I have no idea how many people read these things or comment lol but I am a new mommy and am planning on losing 50 pounds in hopefully three months! (that's when I see my fiancée again, and I want to look my best.) I am 5'4 and weigh about 185 pounds, I have been working out and eating healthy so my biggest problem is myself :( Anyone else have the same goal as me?? I eat 1200 cal a day, and burn approx. 500 with exercise I hope that is enough! Okay...thanks for reading. Like I said, I would love to hear your guys journeys through weight loss! <3

Replies

• Kmedeiros83
    Kmedeiros83 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A lot can be done in 3 months. You should definitely open up your dairy so others can take a peak at what you are eating. 1200 is on the low end for your height and weight though. What kind of exercise are you getting?

So many questions!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to lose 50 lbs by the time he domes home you needed to start 3 months ago (or more!). If every month is 4 weeks, 3 months is 12 weeks. 50/12 = 4.16 lbs per week. That's neither doable not sustainable.

Here's a general guide to how many lbs to aim to lose each week:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Assuming you've already lost the water weight that comes off in the first few days of eating at a deficit, you can expect to lose 15-20 lbs before you see your fiance. Manage your expectations and remember that your fiance is not going to weigh you when you see him again.

Remember that 1,200 calories net means that you eat back all of your exercise calories. So if you eat 1,200 cals and then you burn off 500 cals, you need to eat 500 more calories. Remember also that most exercises do not actually burn 500 calories. Calorie burn estimates are notoriously over-inflated.
  • AliciaR25
    AliciaR25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    If you wanted to lose 50 lbs by the time he domes home you needed to start 3 months ago (or more!). If every month is 4 weeks, 3 months is 12 weeks. 50/12 = 4.16 lbs per week. That's neither doable not sustainable.

Assuming you've already lost the water weight that comes off in the first few days of eating at a deficit, you can expect to lose 15-20 lbs before you see your fiance. Manage your expectations and remember that your fiance is not going to weigh you when you see him again.

Remember that 1,200 calories net means that you eat back all of your exercise calories. So if you eat 1,200 cals and then you burn off 500 cals, you need to eat 500 more calories. Remember also that most exercises do not actually burn 500 calories. Calorie burn estimates are notoriously over-inflated.

Thanks for posting this, very helpful! Good to see i'm on the right track :p
  • hammett50
    hammett50 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Take a bow leggup !
  • Korriinn
    Options
    A lot can be done in 3 months. You should definitely open up your dairy so others can take a peak at what you are eating. 1200 is on the low end for your height and weight though. What kind of exercise are you getting?

So many questions!

I do a fitness blender workout on youtube which is a 30 min all body one sometimes I do it twice a day and mix it up with other videos. This program says I should have 1240 cal but I aim for 1200 knowing full well it's easy to add unknowing calories lol. How do I open up my log?
  • Korriinn
    Options
    AliciaR25 wrote: »

Thank you for the info, but I know I can lose about 50 pounds because I've seen it done haha. I thought you don't eat back the calories? I'm trying to lose weight not keep it by eating back the calories I burned.
  • AliciaR25
    AliciaR25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Korriinn wrote: »

Thank you for the info, but I know I can lose about 50 pounds because I've seen it done haha. I thought you don't eat back the calories? I'm trying to lose weight not keep it by eating back the calories I burned.

I don't eat back my calories because I always overestimate how much I think have burned haha. It's hard enough for me to track and I'm managing on what I'm on now so I leave that bit out.
  • shyliece25
    shyliece25 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It can definitely be done ! Stay focused
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

You can absolutely lose 50 lbs. I just lost 70 lbs... in 15 months. You just can't do it in 3 months without crash dieting. The 1,200 calorie number already has the weight loss deficit factored in. Here's a really cool tool you can use to understand a little better about how many calories you should eat: http://www.calorieking.com/interactive-tools/how-many-calories-should-you-eat/ . I'll use my numbers to explain it.

To maintain my current weight, I need to eat 1,900 calories a day. If I want to gain weight, I have to eat more. If I want to lose weight, I have to eat less or exercise more. ANYTHING under 1,900 and I will lose weight. However, my BMR is 1,480. That's the number of calories my body needs every day to do things like breath, pump my heart, use my eyes, salivate, etc. If I ate substantially under my BMR, I could reduce my ability to perform those functions. I would have low energy, my hair might fall out, and I would lose more muscle than fat than if I were at a mild deficit, like netting 1,600 calories.

Net of 1,200 calories (eating back exercise calories) is the minimum recommendation for women because after that, your compromising your body's ability to function. 1,200 calories - 500 calories = Netting 700 calories. That's the same as not exercising and just eating 700 calories. Generally, starvation-level diets are considered 400-800 calories. Starving yourself has serious health consequences such as dehydration, constipation, malnutrition and electrolyte imbalances that can cause heart arrhythmia and death.
  • Korriinn
    Options

You can absolutely lose 50 lbs. I just lost 70 lbs... in 15 months. You just can't do it in 3 months without crash dieting. The 1,200 calorie number already has the weight loss deficit factored in. Here's a really cool tool you can use to understand a little better about how many calories you should eat: http://www.calorieking.com/interactive-tools/how-many-calories-should-you-eat/ . I'll use my numbers to explain it.

To maintain my current weight, I need to eat 1,900 calories a day. If I want to gain weight, I have to eat more. If I want to lose weight, I have to eat less or exercise more. ANYTHING under 1,900 and I will lose weight. However, my BMR is 1,480. That's the number of calories my body needs every day to do things like breath, pump my heart, use my eyes, salivate, etc. If I ate substantially under my BMR, I could reduce my ability to perform those functions. I would have low energy, my hair might fall out, and I would lose more muscle than fat than if I were at a mild deficit, like netting 1,600 calories.

Net of 1,200 calories (eating back exercise calories) is the minimum recommendation for women because after that, your compromising your body's ability to function. 1,200 calories - 500 calories = Netting 700 calories. That's the same as not exercising and just eating 700 calories. Generally, starvation-level diets are considered 400-800 calories. Starving yourself has serious health consequences such as dehydration, constipation, malnutrition and electrolyte imbalances that can cause heart arrhythmia and death.

Thanks for the link, this was very helpful.