• Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    didn't we already have this debate?

Groundhog Day in the forums. Again.

tumblr_mhkvy6EnCB1rfo36ao1_500.gif
  • FineFitFatty
    Options
    Sorry, I didnt realize. I guess I should have said more, I have only 40 min at the gym on my lunch, am I better to focus on cardio or weights? Right now I am doing 7-10 min of cardio and the rest weights......

If you go every day in the week, I would do M/W/F weights and T/Th cardio.

this!!

Absolutely this!

I'm only available to go to the gym three days a week for an hour, so I do lifting and then about a mile or two of HITT running/sprinting. It has done wonders for my still-looks-preggo-belly. Actually, in just 3 weeks, my stomach was relatively flat again and it did NOT look like that before. Good luck!!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Both...but without a caloric deficit, there will be no loss of anything. I do mostly cardio (running), but I have a good strength base. Everyone is different and we all different goals and directions.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you don't need either. You just need a caloric deficit, which you can achieve by moderating your food intake. No cardio or weight training required.

However, you clearly want to lose fat, and there is a difference between weight loss and fat loss. For optimal fat loss, you need a caloric deficit to drop pounds, along with adequate protein intake and strength training to maintain your lean body mass so that most or all of the pounds you lose are in the form of fat and not muscle.

Cardio is not a necessary part of the fat loss process. If your goal is to improve your cardiovascular fitness/health, do it. If you have performance goals that involve "cardio" activities like running or cycling, do it. If you enjoy cardio, do it. But if your only goal is fat loss, you don't need it.

QFmutha freakingT
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    didn't we already have this debacle?

I fixed it for you.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    C'mon, folks. When someone is new on MFP, they don't know about previous forums and/or just want a quick, informative, friendly answer without having to do a lot of searching. There is bound to be a ton of repetition over time as who knows how many new people join MFP every day. If you want to suggest looking up certain threads to be helpful, that's great. But if you don't have the patience for it, then it's very very easy to just skip the topic and the post. Driving home how many times a topic has been repeated doesn't exactly help the OP feel great about their reaching out for support.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    C'mon, folks. When someone is new on MFP, they don't know about previous forums and/or just want a quick, informative, friendly answer without having to do a lot of searching. There is bound to be a ton of repetition over time as who knows how many new people join MFP every day. If you want to suggest looking up certain threads to be helpful, that's great. But if you don't have the patience for it, then it's very very easy to just skip the topic and the post. Driving home how many times a topic has been repeated doesn't exactly help the OP feel great about their reaching out for support.

OP has been around a year, and that is what the search function is for, so we don't have 10 threads on the 1st page about the same thing.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to reduce your BF% and you HAVE to choose one, choose weights.

The only thing cardio does for weight loss is increase your calorie deficit slightly, and honestly it's much more efficient to just eat fewer calories.

Weights are vitally important to making sure that the weight you lose while on a deficit is fat and not muscle.

Do the weights.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's not either or...any fitness regimen worth a **** is going to incorporate both to some degree. As to how much of each or which takes precedence, that really just depends on what your fitness goals are.

FYI, use your diet to control your weight...lose, maintain, gain; exercise for fitness. When you set independent fitness goals for yourself, you'll have a better understanding of what you need to be doing and how much. Resistance training is the only way you're going to dramatically alter your body composition though...just doing cardio and dieting isn't going to cut it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bahahahahahahahahaha that is awesome!
  • ndj1979
    Options

sorry, I don't have the patience....especially since someone posted the exact same topic this morning..come on people!!!!!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options

sorry, I don't have the patience....especially since someone posted the exact same topic this morning..come on people!!!!!

Sorry. Not everyone is on in the morning and afternoon and evening and isn't aware of what was posted earlier. Why is it so bothersome to you? Wouldn't it be easier to just ignore it?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Sorry. Not everyone is on in the morning and afternoon and evening and isn't aware of what was posted earlier. Why is it so bothersome to you? Wouldn't it be easier to just ignore it?

Wouldn't it be just as easy to type it in "search"? Serious Question

Considering there were 3 threads on page one going at the same time.
  • HyacintheAlcuin
    Options
    Sorry, I didnt realize. I guess I should have said more, I have only 40 min at the gym on my lunch, am I better to focus on cardio or weights? Right now I am doing 7-10 min of cardio and the rest weights......

If you go every day in the week, I would do M/W/F weights and T/Th cardio.
    THIS!!
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    3af8885e0174e575fa9270a20e057272.jpg
  • ndj1979
    Options

Hmmmmm you say that I should ignore this thread, yet you cannot ignore my posts....practice what you preach and we can talk ...
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

We're in a search engine generation. Everyone should know how to use a search function on a website I'd think.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great a burning calories and weight training is good at toning so really it's a mix of both. Me personally I focus more on cardio trying for 5 days a week and do weight training about 3 days a week.