Could you please share your CrossFit success stories?

Options
half_moon
half_moon Posts: 807 Member
I am new and terrified and would love to see your success and pointers.

Replies

• mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I once watched a bunch of people doing Crossfit, decided that it wasn't for me and walked away. Winning!
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit since the end of last August. I love the coaches, the other CrossFitters, and the energy that's in every class. I was never able to stick with a workout program for more than a few months until this, but I actually want to go to CrossFit. I didn't really change my diet until a few months ago, so instead of losing weight, I started gaining strength, endurance, and energy. Every week, I notice new changes. Here are some of them:
    • After a month, I could vacuum the entire house without getting tired (yes, I was that out of shape/weak when I started).
    • I started out doing push-ups on a 24" box, then dropped down to 20", then 18". I can now do 12 consecutive straight push-ups on the floor.
    • I can wall-walk into a handstand and put my nose against the wall (when I started, the closest I could get was about 2 feet from the wall!). My goal is to do a free-standing handstand by the end of the year.
    • After working on it for months, I got my first double-under today!
    • I can run 2 miles. Probably more, although I haven't tried (I still don't enjoy running). I think the most I'd ever done before CrossFit was 1/4 mile without stopping.
    • I can see muscle definition in my calves, arms, back, and thighs, and my body is starting to feel firmer.

In March, I took control (mostly) of my binge eating (partially inspired by my desire to perform better at CrossFit), and the excess weight has been slowly but steadily dropping off. I've lost over 8 pounds, leaving me with less than 12 to go before I'm at my goal. The loss has also been making my workouts...well, not easier, because CrossFit pushes the intensity up if something's too easy, but I can get faster times and more reps. And the closer I get to my goal, the closer I get to doing a pull-up and a handstand. Because lifting my body is easier when it's lighter. :)

Don't be scared. All the CrossFitters I've met are amazing, energetic, welcoming people, and the coaches are well-educated and extremely informative. Honestly, the only pointer I can give you is to just keep showing up.
  • itsmegina
    itsmegina Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit since the end of last August. I love the coaches, the other CrossFitters, and the energy that's in every class. I was never able to stick with a workout program for more than a few months until this, but I actually want to go to CrossFit. I didn't really change my diet until a few months ago, so instead of losing weight, I started gaining strength, endurance, and energy. Every week, I notice new changes. Here are some of them:
    • After a month, I could vacuum the entire house without getting tired (yes, I was that out of shape/weak when I started).
    • I started out doing push-ups on a 24" box, then dropped down to 20", then 18". I can now do 12 consecutive straight push-ups on the floor.
    • I can wall-walk into a handstand and put my nose against the wall (when I started, the closest I could get was about 2 feet from the wall!). My goal is to do a free-standing handstand by the end of the year.
    • After working on it for months, I got my first double-under today!
    • I can run 2 miles. Probably more, although I haven't tried (I still don't enjoy running). I think the most I'd ever done before CrossFit was 1/4 mile without stopping.
    • I can see muscle definition in my calves, arms, back, and thighs, and my body is starting to feel firmer.

In March, I took control (mostly) of my binge eating (partially inspired by my desire to perform better at CrossFit), and the excess weight has been slowly but steadily dropping off. I've lost over 8 pounds, leaving me with less than 12 to go before I'm at my goal. The loss has also been making my workouts...well, not easier, because CrossFit pushes the intensity up if something's too easy, but I can get faster times and more reps. And the closer I get to my goal, the closer I get to doing a pull-up and a handstand. Because lifting my body is easier when it's lighter. :)

Don't be scared. All the CrossFitters I've met are amazing, energetic, welcoming people, and the coaches are well-educated and extremely informative. Honestly, the only pointer I can give you is to just keep showing up.

I have been doing Crossfit since January 9th, and second everything thisdamselflies says 100%! Not a success story yet, but 20lbs down, 10 more to go but tremendous gains in strength and overall fitness!
  • CrystalEverAfter
    CrystalEverAfter Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wish I had it here. It looks right up my alley :(
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of my weight before i started crossfit. I hit a stall when I weighed 275 lbs. I walked into a crossfit gym almost a year ago and now I weigh 192 lbs. It was the best decision of my life for many reasons. Having a awesome coach who pushes me, gives me great workout and being around others who constantly push and motivate me is something I would never trade. It has shown me how strong I am and how I can really push myself. Before crossfit I honestly didn't even know how to push my self nor did I have the will too when it came to exercise. When I started at 275lbs everyone was more fit than me and more slim I thought no way can I do this. Wrong. The coach scaled everything to my level. I couldn't even jump on a 15" inch box so he started with on e five pound plate and I jumped on that. a year later I can jump 20 inches now :) Its truly amazing to see what the body can do and if you have a good coach they will help you every step of the way. That is my number one suggestion though, I have heard of horror stories around bad coaching. Make sure you find someone who takes interest in you and wants to help you! :)
  • half_moon
    Options
    Cerakoala wrote: »
    He started with on e five pound plate and I jumped on that. a year later I can jump 20 inches now :)

Thank you for your reply!! I am definitely going to try this. I can't jump for crap. Haha. Such a great idea!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is fun. And I think one of the main attractions of Crossfit for many people is the interactions you have. It is not a lonely grind, like going to the gym day after day can be. You meet people. You share with people. And then, maybe most importantly, you encourage each other and they push you, like a personal trainer does, so you make better progress faster.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My personal experience and advice and I'm not knocking cross fit, is to shop around and find someone very qualified. Since crossfire has gotten popular, a lot people with no business in running a crossfit gym have been setting up gyms. If you have old injuries know your limitations and the difference between pushing yourself and hurting yourself. I've been in situations where people and so called trainers tried to push me even though I told them about old injuries. I know they probably meant well thinking I wasn't pushing myself hard enough. An experienced trainer will know that. I've seen and met a lot of people who got hurt because they have in to peer pressure. So if you are in a situation where you are not comfortable, speak up loudly and stand your ground, if they keep pushing, remember you always have the options of walking away.
    I think crossfit is great and I have experience with good gyms and bad gyms. Good luck and have fun!
  • half_moon
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I think the box I am going to is pretty safety conscious. They make you do a two week training course where they teach every move with PVC pipe -- more so than any strength training class at great gyms have provided in the past. And when starting out, they scale your WODs until you are where you need to be. I have nothing to compare it to, but I will take your advice and look around if I feel it is getting too hardcore.
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I LOVE My Crossfit gym, and I second everything said above. <3
  • oliverar
    oliverar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My experience with CF had been great. To echo a comment above - shop around (most have free Saturday classes or will let you come observe for a class or 2). You must must must find a box with good, qualified coaches. Injuries happen when people do Olympic lifting incorrectly, or sloppily when trying to got too fast. Form over speed. Look for coaches that correct form before and during lifting and WODs. If the coaches aren't watching, correcting and interacting, move on. If they don't require you to do a "prep school" class for a couple weeks to learn the basics of lifting, I'd be concerned that they aren't focused enough on coaching and form.

Biggest challenge for me is that I can't keep up with 20 year olds anymore, and I pay the price when I try. Good luck.
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    heronh wrote: »
    My personal experience and advice and I'm not knocking cross fit, is to shop around and find someone very qualified. Since crossfire has gotten popular, a lot people with no business in running a crossfit gym have been setting up gyms.
    oliverar wrote: »
    Injuries happen when people do Olympic lifting incorrectly, or sloppily when trying to got too fast. Form over speed. Look for coaches that correct form before and during lifting and WODs. If the coaches aren't watching, correcting and interacting, move on.

Both of these people are right. I was lucky in that the first CrossFit gym I went to was great...owned by a coach who's more interested in safety and improving overall fitness than in pushing people to get bigger weights and faster times at the expense of their bodies. If the coaches at a gym aren't going through the minutiae of difficult moves at the beginning of a class and then watching and correcting your form as you perform them, you're in the wrong gym.
    I checked it out, and since I hate having exact, precise scheduled times to workout with other people, it's definitely not for me. I was under the impression that you can just go to a box and workout. You can't. they only have classes. So, that's a big N O for me. I wait for no one.

I think this also depends on the gym. Any time mine doesn't have classes, it has open gym, and anyone with a membership can just show up and work out. Actually, even when there are classes, I've seen members come in and do their own workouts.

• half_moon
    Options
    So, you only want people that agree?

Also, Crossfit is not a workout, it's a sport. I'm not interested in the sport of fitness, but rather, I want to workout. I like powerlifting, so I do stronglifts. Crossfit doesn't do that. It is a sport. You can play baseball, but that doesn't mean you're working out. If you like it, it's not a problem. I don't hate crossfit. I just don't think it's what people think it is. But, if you enjoy it, then go for it.

Sorry, I guess I am just a little confused. How is CrossFit a sport and not a workout regime? I've only been going for a week, but I can't imagine how it would be likened to baseball. Do you mind clarifying?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!