How much is too much protein

Options
Hi there,
I am trying to get to the bottom of this question HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH PROTEIN???
I am looking to lose weight, following macros and just dropped to 1500cals
I am currently doing
35% carbs = 88g
25% fat= 48g
40% protein = 100g
This equates to 100grams of protein
If I follow NHS guidlines which is body weight x 0.8 then I should only have 50.72
This is 63.4 kilos x 0.8 = 50.72
I am eating double the amount ????
IS THIS TOO MUCH ?? please help

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It's meant to be around 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. 100 grams of protein sounds about right for you.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    However much it takes to ruin your other macros or calorie goal.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you are a healthy person with no kidney issues, you are fine. This is according to diabetologist, Dr. Richard Bernstein. I want to ask why you are restricting fat so much? You are young, you need fat to run the body. There are many essential fats we need and essential proteins. You are getting your proteins but are you getting your fats? Recently, even the US government admits that eggs (cholesterol) are a food you should consume.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Actually, it doesnt matter your age, you need your fat.
  • jessonsangels
    jessonsangels Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks Allyhuggan where did you find this info?
    Thanks
  • alyhuggan
    Options
    Thanks Allyhuggan where did you find this info?
    Thanks

General knowledge, although if you aren't lifting you won't need quite as much. I'd still aim to get in at least 80g of protein per day if you aren't lifting.
  • jessonsangels
    Options
    Yep I'm a lifter, so I'll stick with that calculation
    Thanks
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    It is NOT 1 gram per lean body mass, it is 1 gram per kg body mass. If you equate that to pounds, it should equal .36g. That's the MINIMUM. To be honest, the more calories you eat, if you follow a % rule, then you would by default eat more protein. Most people on here (diaries I've seen) are severely protein deficient. If you want to lose fat pounds, you need protein for more than one reason. I am not going to elaborate here - takes forever to describe it. Bottom line - eat protein - but make sure you balance out your meal with fat and carbs. Replace carbs with protein/fat if you looking to create a deficit of carbs (100gs or less).
  • alyhuggan
    Options
    It is NOT 1 gram per lean body mass, it is 1 gram per kg body mass. If you equate that to pounds, it should equal .36g. That's the MINIMUM. To be honest, the more calories you eat, if you follow a % rule, then you would by default eat more protein. Most people on here (diaries I've seen) are severely protein deficient. If you want to lose fat pounds, you need protein for more than one reason. I am not going to elaborate here - takes forever to describe it. Bottom line - eat protein - but make sure you balance out your meal with fat and carbs. Replace carbs with protein/fat if you looking to create a deficit of carbs (100gs or less).

"The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound (1). This amounts to (2, 3): 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man. 46 grams per day for the average sedentary woman."

"A sedentary lifestyle is a type of lifestyle with no or irregular physical activity. A person who lives a sedentary lifestyle may colloquially be known as a couch potato. It is commonly found in both the developed and developing world."

Lifters need a fair bit more to efficiently rebuild...
  • jessonsangels
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »

"The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound (1). This amounts to (2, 3): 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man. 46 grams per day for the average sedentary woman."

"A sedentary lifestyle is a type of lifestyle with no or irregular physical activity. A person who lives a sedentary lifestyle may colloquially be known as a couch potato. It is commonly found in both the developed and developing world."

Thanks for the useful information, I feel happier to continue with my plan
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

OP, the above is not the advice you seek. And when he says that most people on here he's seen on here are severely deficient in protein in take, that's not true. You should always ask someone to further elaborate when they say something is too long to elaborate. What that means is "Just listen to what I say, don't worry, I'm right but don't have to explain myself".

Here, read this:
    http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

we so need a like button...I read the article...0.82grams per lb of bodyweight...
  • alyhuggan
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »

Thanks for the useful information, I feel happier to continue with my plan

Happy to help! Good luck!