Weight loss while Breastfeeding

I am 5 weeks postpartum and preparing to return to work next week. I have been exclusively breastfeeding which I will attribute to bringing me back down to what I weighed prior to pregnancy (unfortunately, I was a little overweight prior). I will continue to breastfeed, which means pumping at work. I would like to lose about 20 lbs more, but I do not want to risk diminishing my milk supply. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Honestly? I'd just eat as healthy as you can, and exercise a little, for at least a year or until you stop breastfeeding, whichever comes first.

With my first baby, I lost 55-60 pounds in the first year while breastfeeding (I'd gained 50 pounds in pregnancy). No exercise, no dieting, just nursing. The second baby, I lost about 45 pounds the first year breastfeeding.

I know some gals who have only lost 10-20 pounds, as well, but I guess my point is that you honestly can't know what resources your body is going to need for this. You can't know how fast your baby will grow, or how big, and that's going to determine how much milk you need to make, and what resources your body might need. And you don't want to end up needing weight that you already lost.

So it's probably healthiest to take it slow until your baby isn't exclusively breastfeeding anymore, you know? ^_^
  • betrishy
    betrishy Posts: 52 Member
    Add breastfeeding in as an activity in myfitnesspal and eat back your calories. Also drink lots of water! I lost weight while breast feeding and my supply was fine. I breast fed for 8 months with my first baby and 6 with my second. My girls started rejecting me for the bottle with being in day care.