Digging up details on dog food.

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah Holistic food is human grade ingredients, but the stuff you find in supermarkets is made of by products, so you'd be pretty much eating chicken beaks and legs... but to each their own I guess.

This site is good too. http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

But no calorie info :p And yeah, at $50 a bag of dry dog food, I don't even know why anyone would eat that...
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    The canned stuff is lower calorie, plus if you just transfer it to a Tupperware container you can tell your workmates that your spouse made pate' and put it on crackers. They have lots of flavors, so you can change it up.

k5logxxms45k.jpg

If someone heated that up in the staffroom...I think it would clear the room...oh my.
    Plus, most dog food is not cheaper than human food.

This has GOT to be a 'joke' post...is it a late April Fool's Day?
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I've been on the dog food diet for a while now, it's working well for me :)
    Saves money, time and it's good exercise fighting my dog for the bowl at meal times.
    Downsides are that I now have a bit of a flea problem and keep chasing cars down the road, but even that's good training for chasing those pesky cats out the garden.
    Only thing I'm a little concerned about is my ever-growing urge to savage the mail man, but I'm working on that.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    While I find this kinda gross (the rules on pet food aren't as regulated as with human food, for one. Sure there are 'human grade' pet foods, but does it actually say anywhere it's inspected, etc for the validity of that claim?), most of the 'better' quality dog foods list the calories on the bag/can, and if you go online some of the big-box brands do as well (Iams, Purina, etc). I know this cause I have an old dog who can't eat a lot at a time and can't chew much crunchy food, so I've been researching the highest calorie per smallest cans of wet dog food.

It's really not a savings though. The kinds of dog food a human should safely eat are really expensive! Pretty sure I spend more on my dog's food than per human family member. Less expensive on time and cooking though, I suppose.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If your stomach hurts you can always go eat grass outside like a dog. Just don't go eating your own *kitten*..... unless you're into that type of ... *kitten*.

Nice troll attempt too.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    While I find this kinda gross (the rules on pet food aren't as regulated as with human food, for one. Sure there are 'human grade' pet foods, but does it actually say anywhere it's inspected, etc for the validity of that claim?), most of the 'better' quality dog foods list the calories on the bag/can, and if you go online some of the big-box brands do as well (Iams, Purina, etc). I know this cause I have an old dog who can't eat a lot at a time and can't chew much crunchy food, so I've been researching the highest calorie per smallest cans of wet dog food.

It's really not a savings though. The kinds of dog food a human should safely eat are really expensive! Pretty sure I spend more on my dog's food than per human family member. Less expensive on time and cooking though, I suppose.

It turns out human food is not regulated as thoroughly as one might hope.
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/may/28/supermarket-chickens-contaminated-campylobacter

Pre-cooked dog-chow may well be safer than a cheap supermarket chicken.

Enjoy OP, just make sure you check the label as many animal foods are only 4% meat, so make sure there's more protein than that in your favourite brand.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Redicnomad wrote: »
    Thank you all for being so supportive! That's why i love this community so much!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-2602-1409098228-5.gif
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Woof
  • Hoshiko76
    Hoshiko76 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My dad told me that in his country people ate dog food during the war.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Could you just make a protein shake to use as a fast meal replacement instead of dog food?surely protein shakes will taste much better.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    :s