is a gym really needed???

Options
So I been on this weight loss journey since April 1st and I lost 22 pounds so far. I can't go to the gym because 1. Money and 2. Time. I do everything at home like walking, and workout videos. My fear is having a lot of lose skin. Should I be going to the gym? I always see people talking about weight training... Idk even know what that is. My goal is to finally see 200 and I'm 48 pounds away..... Advice is really needed and feel free to add me!!

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Weight training means lifting weights. If you don't have the money for the gym (believe me, I understand!) then go on youtube and look up "bodyweight exercises" and "convict conditioning" and "you are your own gym" to learn now to use the weight of your own body rather than machines or barbells/dumbebells. I do recommend doing this. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn all day every day, and it also helps to fill out the skin if you can get your muscles to grow some. (so make sure you get enough protein!) Good luck hon, you can do it. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Weight training means lifting weights. If you don't have the money for the gym (believe me, I understand!) then go on youtube and look up "bodyweight exercises" and "convict conditioning" and "you are your own gym" to learn now to use the weight of your own body rather than machines or barbells/dumbebells. I do recommend doing this. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn all day every day, and it also helps to fill out the skin if you can get your muscles to grow some. (so make sure you get enough protein!) Good luck hon, you can do it. :)

I agree with taking a look at these programs. Your muscles most likely won't be growing, but you will SAVE the muscle as you lose fat. Unfortunately when we lose weight, that includes muscle. If you add a good strength or bodyweight resistance program, and eat an adequate amount of protein, you can save lean body mass as you lose. When you get to goal you will look great and have some definition.
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Maybe fitnessblender.com can help. I have found them very good.
    Also 30 day shred videos on youtube are great if you like that sort of stuff.

• Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Id say no. So many different workouts can b done w the weight of your own body
  • tiarajj08
    tiarajj08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Maybe fitnessblender.com can help. I have found them very good.
    Also 30 day shred videos on youtube are great if you like that sort of stuff.

I love FitnessBlender!!! Thank you all for your advice! I will look those up on youtube because I usually use YouTube videos to workout anyway. I also drink protein drinks after I work out and also sometimes as a meal replacement.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't need a gym! You can run, walk, bike, do body weight exercises at parks or playgrounds and lift weights at home. I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women at home with adjustable dumbbells. I do belong to gym but only go to a couple circuit classes a week.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't like going to the gym so all my workout is at home. If you want to do weights at home a good weight bench some dumbells are all you really need (nothing expensive) and they really won't set you back that much..They have a program call Body Beast which I will be trying soon but I've heard it's great.