Half marathon

Options
Curtez
Curtez Posts: 62 Member
Going to begin training for my first half marathon. Any one have any tips? I found some running programs/calenders online and will be following those. Feel free to add me if you have/are doing the same thing. Always looking for positive people here. Looking forward to this!

Replies

• greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My half training plan begins tomorrow. Biggest tip I could give is find a plan you like and stick with it and log every workout.
  • jeannelawrie
    jeannelawrie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am planning to run my first half in January. I'm all signed up for the Disney half marathon and am starting to train, but at this point just slowly building my miles and training for a 10K. Hoping the 10K will help me get ready for the half.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I trained for my first last year following the Hal Higdon program.

Get fitted for some good running shoes. You are going to run many miles and your feet and legs are your most important asset. Treat them that way and they will reward you with success.

A heart rate monitor is not required, but honestly if you are new to running you may find one critical in learning what your proper paces should be for your various types of training runs. Speaking of...unless you already have a good weekly mileage base you should build your aerobic system by running lots of slow, easy miles. Aw, heck...you know what, check the "So you want to start running" thread towards the top of this forum. It says things better than I can!

• tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first one in October. And I'm at the heaviest I've ever been weight wise. New to running in general. Done a few 5K's.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I ran my first one in March and my second one is in 2 weeks.

Before I started training, I joined a running group and that definitely helped the long runs seem shorter. This is certainly not necessary for all everyone. I enjoy running alone but running with people is great too, especially if you need motivation to get out there and run some days.

Also, I 100% agree about getting fitted for running shoes at a running store. Don't go to the big general sports stores, find a local running store and have them fit you properly.

For your long runs, test out different things like breakfast/no breakfast, gels, water, gatorade, chews, etc... so you'll know things you like and don't like before race day. About a month or so out I tried different breakfasts/none at all and my longest two runs I tried out a few different chews during the run. I think this definitely helped me since I sort of knew what to expect.

Good luck!
  • jeannelawrie
    jeannelawrie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Love hearing from people what worked for them. I've been running for a little while, so I've been fitted and have great shoes, but I agree if anyone hasn't done that yet, it is a must! Thanks for the tips, I'm very excited to run my first half!!!!
  • sara243
    sara243 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Curtez wrote: »
    Going to begin training for my first half marathon. Any one have any tips? I found some running programs/calenders online and will be following those. Feel free to add me if you have/are doing the same thing. Always looking for positive people here. Looking forward to this!

• sara243
    sara243 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running too. Just started the JeffGalloway 13.1 app training last week. My first half is in November. I mainly want to get in shape and shed these extra lbs!
  • traceymarie1987
    traceymarie1987 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Im also training for first half marathon however Im walking it with a good friend whos lost a serious amount of weight and is by no means a runner. However me personally I run 4 times a week and Ive begun circuit training which goes for just under an hour per session and I plan on doing these 3-4 times a week. Have been looking into all you guys food dairys to try get some inside knowledge on maintenance calories. Cause Ive got that constant hunger that wants to eat everything from running :/ makes me feel like such a pig would be good to get some kind of control on my hunger. I consume the RDI of protein at 50grams a day however that's just a minimum aim im usually much over like today I was at like 134 grams protein I think? Im kinda hoping to work out the calorie intake not so much the macros :) If anyone can help please do :)
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Curtez wrote: »

Are you new to running? I'm writing this post to a reasonably fit new runner, skip it if it doesn't apply.

1st tip is not skimping on the running shoes (and replacing after 500ish miles).

2nd tip is to run slow. No, slower than that. Your aim is to build up endurance, and running faster wears your body out before you've reached your distance targets - I'm talking about weekly targets, you can get away with faster running for individual sessions, but not in the longer term.

Beyond that, start short, and gradually build up your long run by no more than a mile per week, topping out at 14 or 15 miles. And take it easy if that's what your body is telling you to do. If you hit your distance goal today by ignoring signals from your body, you could miss all of next week (or longer) by ending up injured.

When you're comfortable running a good distance every week, add in a midweek "workout". I know every run is a workout, but in running terms a workout is a higher-effort session, running intervals of various distances and speeds to stress different muscles and energy pathways.

• FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdons Novice 1 for my 1/2 back in May, came in at 2:02:55 1st ever 1/2 marathon, my 2nd is in 2 weeks and looking to break 2 hours. DO NOT skimp on shoes as many have sai, it sucks running with blisters, your LONG run is the key!!! slow and long , don't worry about pace, get your legs use to the long distances . I run 4 days a week , 4 mile tempo, 6 mile pace, 4 mile tempo, then long run of 10+ miles. Stretch before and after, foam roll if you can 8-)