Is it bad to eat potatoes every day?

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    So, is this bad in any way? I am assuming no because I'm within my calorie amounts and have a deficit but would like to double check.

Those are the right questions, and no, it's fine. I tend to prefer potatoes to grains too, although I try to vary it up some and also like sweet potatoes and a variety of root veggies as alternatives, but given that many eat rice or bread or pasta that regularly I don't see why potato would be a problem.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Last night for dinner I fried 2 servings of "Dynamic Duo" potatoes with 2 gloves of garlic, 3 sweet peppers, 1 serrano chile, 1 TBSP olive oil and 3 eggs. So good...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I know I hear all these myths about losing weight, carbs, blah blah blah. I have also heard that eating potatoes every day is bad. I have no idea why.

I eat a yukon gold potato every day and sometimes twice a day (with meals) . I was finding my meals (protein plus veggies, not much grain) was leaving me hungry soon after until I started eating potatoes with it.

So, is this bad in any way? I am assuming no because I'm within my calorie amounts and have a deficit but would like to double check.

Thank you :smile:

potatoes are a whole food, so obviously they are horrible for you...

/sarcasm

the only issue I could foresee is if you have insulin sensitivities...my dad was a type II and he ate waxy potatoes sparingly and rarely if ever had white potatoes...but again, this would also depend on how you wanted to manage such a condition.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just watched the Hairy Biker's cookbook on BBC and they made the most deliciously obscenely carb overloaded potato, cheese and onion cobbler pie. Basically butter mashed potatoes, atop cooked sliced potatoes, upon more frickin' potatoes, with cheese and onion. I almost had a heart attack watching it. That would probably kill you with two bites, lol.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why on earth would potatoes be bad for you????????

I never thought they would be, but everywhere I turn people are saying eating them is bad, something about starches or starchy carbs, and although I didn't believe it -a tiny piece of me was like well...maybe I should check first, lol.

I weight all of my potatoes, as well as any toppings :) I love potatoes. Mostly Yukon Gold potatoes though (haha). Delicious.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »
    I just watched the Hairy Biker's cookbook on BBC and they made the most deliciously obscenely carb overloaded potato, cheese and onion cobbler pie. Basically butter mashed potatoes, atop cooked sliced potatoes, upon more frickin' potatoes, with cheese and onion. I almost had a heart attack watching it. That would probably kill you with two bites, lol.

Worth it.
  • bbontheb
    Options
    I am not diabetic. I am thought to be hypoglycemic though. Doubt that matters though.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Generations ago, the poor Irish would eat 5-7 pounds of potatoes a day and they got all of their needed nutrients. But...that's a lot of potatoes.

I don't eat white potatoes - I just don't like them, plus it feels like empty calories? I much prefer sweet potatoes.
  • bbontheb
    Options
    The hairy biker cookbook? bahaha. The name is worth me googling...
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Naa but if you eat it everyday you will get tired of it ... Try to mix it up
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Diabetic type 2's and hypoglycemics benefit from eating similarly. Eat a balance of foods at every meal. Don't skip snacks. Don't allow yourself to get too full or too hungry. My hypoglycemic buddy at work kept a big jar of mixed nuts with M & M's on his desk, and I'd pay him a visit if I'd forgotten my snack.