Anyone have weight loss success and NOT limit their fruit intake?

I read a lot of articles that say its important not to eat too much fruit when trying to lose weight.
I am trying to eat healthy overall and tend to eat fruit when I get a craving for sweets, which is pretty often. I want to know if I can still be successful even if I have a piece or two of fruit a day.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    if you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. whether you eat fruit or not is up to you
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    fruit intake limits weight loss now???? LOL, now I have heard it all.

OP - what matters is a calorie deficit. if fruit is putting you in a caloric surplus then yes, you need to limit it. Otherwise, continue to eat fruit.

• Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    I have lost over 40 pounds and with the exception of the first two weeks I have eaten several servings of fruit every day. Now that summer is preaching I am sure that my fruit consumption will increase over the next few months. As @TavistockToad said, it's the caloric deficit that matters in weight loss.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Fruit keeps your regular...at least it keeps me regular. Yes, you can eat 2 servings of fruit a day and lose weight, just log it...
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    I'm down 50 pounds this year, and I eat fruit every day. Usually 2-3 servings, so I wouldn't say I limit my fruit at all--it just fits well into my plan!
  • birdsncrabs
    birdsncrabs Posts: 5 Member
    I try to not make weight loss any more complicated than it needs to be. As a few folks said, as long as calories consumed < calories burned through life and exercise you should be good. For what it's worth, I'm consuming more fruits (and vegetables) now that I'm losing weight.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    If you are getting your calorie count from MFP; and you measure your fruit (cut up) honestly ... leveling fruit at the top of the cup (not a heaving cup); then you should not have any problems if you stay under your daily caloric amount. Don't put sugar on it, just eat it without any sugar or (packed in) syrup. I've heard; however, that bananas have the most sugar in them and I would probably only eat 1/2 of one a day. I love 'fresh' or 'fresh frozen' (when not in season). Most stores have fresh fruits already cut up and in a package and it will tell you how much (in weight) the container contains. Weighing fruit on a scale is also another easy way to make sure you are getting a daily serving. Like @lislsd1 said 'it keeps you regular'. Raw veggies are also very good (maybe an acquired taste); but, I eat them and dip them into a salad dressing (measured out). Hang in there and stay within your daily caloric consumption. It is really more about daily intake of calories; you just have to plan out your meals. I do this, especially, when we are planning on going 'out to eat'. B)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you are getting your calorie count from MFP; and you measure your fruit (cut up) honestly ... leveling fruit at the top of the cup (not a heaving cup); then you should not have any problems if you stay under your daily caloric amount. Don't put sugar on it, just eat it without any sugar or (packed in) syrup. I've heard; however, that bananas have the most sugar in them and I would probably only eat 1/2 of one a day. I love 'fresh' or 'fresh frozen' (when not in season). Most stores have fresh fruits already cut up and in a package and it will tell you how much (in weight) the container contains. Weighing fruit on a scale is also another easy way to make sure you are getting a daily serving. Like @lislsd1 said 'it keeps you regular'. Raw veggies are also very good (maybe an acquired taste); but, I eat them and dip them into a salad dressing (measured out). Hang in there and stay within your daily caloric consumption. It is really more about daily intake of calories; you just have to plan out your meals. I do this, especially, when we are planning on going 'out to eat'. B)

you should measure solids on scales, not by cups.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    AZnewbie00 wrote: »
    I read a lot of articles that say its important not to eat too much fruit when trying to lose weight.
    I am trying to eat healthy overall and tend to eat fruit when I get a craving for sweets, which is pretty often. I want to know if I can still be successful even if I have a piece or two of fruit a day.

Absolutely. In fact, several formal diet plans like South Beach Diet encourage you to eat a piece of fruit or two each day!
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    I've lost 21 pounds so far by eating more fruit than ever. I just make it fit into my calorie goal for the day and wouldn't want to miss all my great fruit bowls with yogurt and colorful smoothies.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited June 2015
    I eat TONS of fruit and it has definitely helped me lose weight. When I get cravings for something sweet I just have some fruit instead of junk food.
  • RedDiamond37
    RedDiamond37 Posts: 23 Member
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    I eat TONS of fruit and it has definitely helped me lose weight. When I get cravings for something sweet I just have some fruit instead of junk food.

^^ what he said, same goes for me.
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    I've lost 72lbs in the last year and actually increased the amount of fruit I was eating. Stay within your calorie goals as others have said and you'll lose the weight.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    I eat some fruit almost every day, but how much I consume is largely contingent upon what I'm craving. I'll eat whatever fruit I feel like eating, track it, and move on. If I consume 300 calories in fruit one day and only 65 the next, so long as I work it into my daily calorie budget it won't impact my weight loss.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    I eat a lot of fruit. I've lost 63+ lbs since the last week of December.

The only problem I could imagine with fruit is if you ate unlimited quantities and you end up eating more calories than you burn.

I weigh it and keep several options. ...berries are great when my remaining calories are low.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    I note you didn't say anything about tracking overall calories...just that you're eating "healthy"

If you eat so much fruit, that it causes you to eat more calories than you burn, then yes, it will be counterproductive to weight loss. The articles you referenced may be trying to point this out (albeit in a very non-specific way). In at least one well-known national weight loss program (cough...Weight Watchers...cough), they don't count a lot of fruits against your daily point allowance, so you could easily go over your daily allowance by eating too much fruit.

That said, as long as you're accounting for the calories they contain against your daily goals, there's nothing wrong with consuming 'a lot' of fruit.
  • AZnewbie00
    AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
    ahamm002 wrote: »

This is what I ended up doing this morning. I had watermelon because I was craving something sweet. I've read e articles where they say to limit your fruit because of the sugar but I need something to balance out my craving for sweets.

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    ive lost weight, and eating more fruit than i ever did

Mango anywhere any time
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Watermelon and strawberries definitely help me with sweet cravings
  • Mami2daj
    Mami2daj Posts: 2 Member
    I eat a lot of fruit. I've lost 63+ lbs since the last week of December.

The only problem I could imagine with fruit is if you ate unlimited quantities and you end up eating more calories than you burn.

I weigh it and keep several options. ...berries are great when my remaining calories are low.

Yes berries are very low in calories....where as grapes n bananas have more calories....just accurately count all calories consumed in a day n stay under your caloric goal n