IBS/FODMAP and Shakes

Options
lunamare
lunamare Posts: 569 Member
Before the snarky comments start to fly, let me preface this with, I eat real food all the time. I was diagnosed with IBS and with the help of a nutritionist we got things better under control using the FODMAP diet. As a result, I've learned to cut out most overly processed/packaged food.

One thing I miss are my morning shakes that I used to make. Previously I'd use some type of protein powder, fruit and almond milk. We determined that the almond milk wasn't agreeing with me, so I had to cut that out. I found that even the powders I was using upset my stomach as well so I tossed those. I was curious if anyone with IBS has found a shake that doesn't upset their stomach? Given that most powders run in the $20 range, I really don't want to buy something only to find out that it makes me sick. I have friends that swear by Shakeology but none of them have IBS so they can't say if it will bother me or not.

Thanks for any information you care to share.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The powders are highly processed. You might do better skipping those and try something like
    water, some cut up fruit, some greens, and a protein you can tolerate like lactose free cottage cheese/tofu/nuts or seed butters.
  • moglovesshoez
    moglovesshoez Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use one from GoNutrition, It's called Paleo protein and is made beef and egg white isolate.
  • lunamare
    Options
    Thanks. Everyone hears "stomach issues" and wants to tell you to eat more fiber. With IBS often that is the cause of the problem. I listened to doctors for years tell me to get more fiber and got sicker and sicker. The nutritionist finally helped me figure out what my triggers were. I'm fine with regular dairy, which I know many other IBS sufferers aren't. It was actually the almonds, well the almond milk that made me sick. After years of being told to eat more almonds...LOL!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    How about talking to a registered dietitian instead of a nutritionist? They can offer you advice about how to create a shake that meets your specific nutritional needs. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.
  • lunamare
    Options
    Sorry if I used the incorrect term. It was an RD at a hospital in Boston I was working with, it wasn't Joe Schmoe who runs the local gym.
  • MimiMayRR
    MimiMayRR Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have IBD and follow a low FODMAP diet and I often start my morning with a smoothie. I combine ice, frozen banana, vanilla, a pinch of stevia, and 2% lactose-free milk. It tastes like a milkshake but is obviously a lot healthier. Sometimes I mix it up and add a bit of baby spinach, cacao, frozen berries, greek yogurt, or peanut butter for a different taste and nutritional profile.

When I've been flaring and really need protein but can't stomach much food, I've even thrown in a raw pasteurized egg (I can buy them at Sprouts, but you can also pasteurize them at home). When it's just the basic recipe, I average about 10 grams of protein in a shake. If you throw in an egg, that's another 7-ish grams. Nut butters, cacao, or greek yogurt also up the protein a bit. Not too bad considering it's all real food and way less expensive than a powder. And even though bananas are pretty high in fiber, they're usually really well tolerated by people with either IBS or IBD.
  • lunamare
    Options
    Thanks for the idea mimimayrr. I don't know why I didn't think of adding vanilla extract myself.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Following. Fellow fodmap'er (feel free to add me) but would like to make a smoothie or two sometime and not sure what to put in it.
  • morrprop
    morrprop Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do sweeters bother you?
    Are they okay to eat as a FODMAPer?
  • Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Fellow IBSer here!

Have you thought of making your own? http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/perfect-homemade-protein-shake/#HqjxEE6idgHo3cAd.97 - that one contains peanuts, I'm not sure if those are an issue for you or not.

Otherwise, I've been able to handle Ezyprotein http://www.ezyprotein.com.au/
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OMG protein shakes are the absolute last thing I'd want to consume. I mean you could try :/ I wouldn't! What about just having some ham?

It basically causes IBS-like symptoms in people with no prior issues at all. That said, the egg shake above sounds not too bad.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Was your almond milk commercial or did you make it at home? Many times commercial almond milk has carrageenan or guar gum in it, both of which are known to cause GI issues in many people. If you can tolerate almonds by themselves then there is no reason you couldn't just add almonds and water to your smoothie and get the benefits without the commercial thickeners. Otherwise, you could just make your smoothie and have some protein on the side like the person who suggested ham. If you can tolerate other nuts you might try just adding them and water to your smoothie instead of almonds. Cashews make it nice and creamy.
  • lunamare
    Options
    Everyone with IBS is different because it's sort of a junk term for stomach problems that doctors can't seem to figure out. I'm lucky that most dairy and nuts don't bother me. It's mostly processed foods that do me in. Shredded cheese is worse than regular block cheese that I cut myself. Frozen processed foods kill me but typically canned soup doesn't bother me as much.

I like the taste of smoothies and shakes, that's why I was looking for alternatives. You are right, I was using almond milk I purchased from the store because of the convenience. I liked that it had less calories than cows milk but was thicker than water. Trying to lose the 10lbs that have creeped back into my life and don't want to go away.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's disease (1996) and I don't personally follow the FODMAP diet but the more I hear about it the more I need to start researching it. I can speak on protein powders though. Have you tried a WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE yet?

Basically it removes all of the lactose from the protein which makes it much easier to digest. I've also found that certain brands will added digestive enzymes to aid in lactose & protein digestion. I find these help also.

Your best bet is going to be to get a WPI. The cost is going to be a bit higher but such is life :-)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    lunamare wrote: »
    Everyone with IBS is different because it's sort of a junk term for stomach problems that doctors can't seem to figure out. I'm lucky that most dairy and nuts don't bother me. It's mostly processed foods that do me in. Shredded cheese is worse than regular block cheese that I cut myself. Frozen processed foods kill me but typically canned soup doesn't bother me as much.

I like the taste of smoothies and shakes, that's why I was looking for alternatives. You are right, I was using almond milk I purchased from the store because of the convenience. I liked that it had less calories than cows milk but was thicker than water. Trying to lose the 10lbs that have creeped back into my life and don't want to go away.

I hear you! It's all dependent on what our own bodies can tolerate. Shredded cheese is typically coated with corn starch or potato starch, neither of which I can tolerate so I have to shred my own cheese too. If I am feeling ambitious and don't want it to clump I can toss mine with tapioca starch but usually I'm to lazy to bother. :D
  • bbontheb
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    OMG protein shakes are the absolute last thing I'd want to consume. I mean you could try :/ I wouldn't! What about just having some ham?

It basically causes IBS-like symptoms in people with no prior issues at all. That said, the egg shake above sounds not too bad.

What? Um, no. This is wrong.

• bbontheb
    Options
    I am amazed at how much the fodmap diet has helped me. I would definitely recommend giving it a go. At least for 6-8 weeks.