Macros

Options
I've been sticking to 1460 calories a day and sticking to eggs or porridge for breakfast, salad with tuna for lunch, and either stirfry or protein source with veg for tea. I'm confused with macros and wanting abut more info. I'm a healthy weight but wanting to tone up and loose fat from legs mainly and exercise 4times a week. What percentage should I be sticking to? Many thanks x

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce fat. I think the general macro spread is 40% carb 40% protein and 20% fat. You can think of the protein and fat macros more as minimums. Lifting weights will help you strengthen your muscles. There is no such thing as "tone".

http://iifym.com/
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It will require a tiny bit of experimenting to see what your body responds to.

There are online quizzes to determine your body type as a jumping off point.

Opinions vary wildly and internet experts abound.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce fat. I think the general macro spread is 40% carb 40% protein and 20% fat. You can think of the protein and fat macros more as minimums. Lifting weights will help you strengthen your muscles. There is no such thing as "tone".

40% of cals for protein is kind of high and might be hard to hit for most people. Id add more good fats to the percentage and maybe say: 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein. Limit sugar intake too ;)
  • jesscant12345
    jesscant12345 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know eggs is good fats, what other good fats can you recomend?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »

40% of cals for protein is kind of high and might be hard to hit for most people. Id add more good fats to the percentage and maybe say: 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein. Limit sugar intake too ;)

Agreed that 40/30/30 may work better for someone just starting out. I linked the IIFYM calculator which maybe will give OP an idea and she can play around with the numbers. Can I ask why you say limit sugar?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I understand MFP limits you to set your macros based on percentages, but I would advise going by actual grams. Get as close to the recommended value for your body as possible.

The most recent scientific evidence shows that 0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight is the upper limit for protein intake (even for bodybuilders). Hitting a protein range between 0.60-0.80 g/lb. on a daily basis will be optimal.

Unless you are obese, dietary fat should be a bare minimum of 0.40-0.45 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight. If you are active, healthy, fit (especially if maintaining or bulking), then it would be wise to hedge your bets with something closer to 0.50-0.70 grams dietary fat per 1 lb. bodyweight. Adequate dietary fat is crucial to hormonal health, for both genders.

Your body, on a biological level, doesn't care about what specific foods you eat (unless you have an allergy or condition). The main principle for a healthy diet is filling your macros and having a diet that consists of a rich variety of whole, minimally processed foods. Pay attention to various colors in vegetables for different nutrients and ensure that you are getting enough fiber as well.

Lastly, it would be wise to make sure your calorie goal is accurate. Drastic cuts in calories will not only make you lose bodyfat %, but you will also lose muscle. Cut too low, and your goals toward being in optimal shape will be counterproductive based on the low amount of calories consumed.
  • madmaddox719
    madmaddox719 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Avocado is a great source of good fats! I agree that upping your fat and lowering protein will do you no harm
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Protein: .8g - 1g of every lb of body weight (you said you were at a healthy weight, so that number should be accurate!). 1g would be best (so if you weight 120lbs, then get 120g of protein) since it sounds like you're at a fairly low body fat % right now.
    Fats: 20-30% of total calories should go towards this. Try to get mostly mono and poly fats, avoid trans and limit saturated. You should definitely add omega 3 to your diet, if you haven't already. Most people don't get nearly enough! It's a great source of fat.
    Carbs: Just eat whatever amount of calories you have left over for this macro.

Stay at a calorie deficit (if you find it hard to meet your macro levels at a deficit, then increase your cardio) and you'll be good to go!