Is my step counter aligned to my activity level?

Options
Hi, I am using my iPhone's inbuilt step counter with the app, which is working great, however I think it is allowing me too many extra calories!

I am at "sedentary" activity level (which I understand is around 5,000 steps per day) and after walking only 2,000 steps this morning my calorie intake for today was adjusted to allow me an extra 100-odd calories - surely that seems wrong, and I should only be allocated extra calories AFTER I have walked more steps than are allowed for my activity level?

Is there a way around this? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

More than happy to have the extra calories but it can't be good for my weight loss!

Replies

• dreous44
    dreous44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That seems right. 5,000 steps isn't sedentary, its mildly active.3,000-5,000 is lightly active. burning 50 calories for every 1000 steps is the equation most use to determine calories=steps
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I don't know how the step counter works (I use Fitbit), but I can test it today and see what happens. Oh and if you want another way to do it, the Fitbit app (it's free) will allow you to set up an account and use the iPhone as your step counter. Then if you sync the two you will only get added calories when your calorie burn exceeds MFP's predicted calorie burn for your activity level setting and if you enable negative adjustments in diary, you can even lose a few if you don't meet MFP's prediction.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum.

Do not log any step-based activity. Trust your iOS adjustments for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

PS. You should be able to click on the adjustment and see the math MFP used to calculate it.
  • sophievgray
    sophievgray Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all of you for your help! I am going to stick with it for a few days more and see if it seems to balance out correctly.