Netflix vs Hulu Plus

Options
SDkitty
SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
btm4_zpsd6c98031.gif

Moving and don't really want to pay for cable anymore...thoughts on which of these services is better?

Replies

• pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've had Netflix instant streaming (and Blu-Ray delivery) for over 3 years now and I still enjoy it every day. The selection is really hit or miss depending on your taste but a lot of times it's fun to watch something you normally wouldn't put on and I've found a lot of good shows that way! :smile:

I have not tried Hulu Plus yet but I did just buy a "smart" TV with the hulu plus app on it so I was considering it once I get sick of Netflix. My Netflix account costs me just under $19/mo with streaming and blu-rays (1 at a time) by mail.

HTH! :bigsmile:
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    Both.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    We've had both. We currently have Netflix though.

Hulu Plus, the only benefit is seeing past episodes of certain shows and getting some the day after they come out. Which is good, but there is always...*gasp* torrents. lol

Netflix is okay, but I think we may kill it soon. Only thing I am watching on it is Nightmare Kitchens and I am almost done with that. I think DH is watching Fringe and one other show. But meh, I watched everything I wanted to already on there so I find myself not really watching much anymore.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    They both have good and bad points.
    Hulu has more recent shows. Like if something was new on TV last night you can watch it tonight on Hulu, but there will be commercials (not as many as regular cable, but still they are there).

Netflix has more older shows (I am currently rewatching Star Trek TNG), and no commercials. But their newer shows are a season behind, like I am waiting for last seasons Walking Dead episodes to be put on there so I can watch the ones I missed.

Currently we have both (just the TV portions, no Blu-Rays or anything like that) and it is still less than regular cable.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have both. I use Netflix streaming for movies and older tv shows and I use Hulu Plus for current shows, like The Daily Show. $16/mo, still way cheaper than cable or satellite, plus I only watch what I want, when I want without 200 extra channels I don't watch. For movies not available on Netflix streaming, I just get from the library for free.
  • CarriLu123
    CarriLu123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I currently have both and seriously for less than $20 a month you can't go wrong.

Although Hulu does have current shows, you can catch most of them on the channels website anyway.

If I had to choose i would choose Netflix. It rubs me wrong to pay for Hulu's service and still have to watch commercials.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have both and I don't have cable. Netflix is good for movies and older TV shows, and Hulu for shows airing right now, as well as some movies you can't stream on Netflix (a lot of Criterion Collection). If I had to choose between the two, I would rather have Netflix than Hulu. I don't *need* to watch shows on my TV or tablet, and I usually see them before they expire on the free account. You can sign up for a free trial to test it out.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hmm...considering that having both would still be about a million times cheaper than cable I think I'll just do that for now and if I really don't like one I'll just cancel it. Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. I cancelled my cable over a year ago. If I don't feel like waiting a year to see the latest season of something, I just buy it for $1.99 an episode a la carte from Amazon (Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, American Horror Story, etc...). Even with all that, it's still cheaper than cable!!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Amazon Prime includes streaming video plus free 2-day shipping on a lot of what they sell.