Thoughts on SmartPlate to Log Calories?

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
Hi, so recently I noticed an article for something called SmartPlate, which is basically a plate that you put food onto, and it logs and tracks calories for you. It's still in production and they're trying to raise money for it, but I was wondering if anyone here has heard of it and what your thoughts are of it? I'm debating whether or not to back to project and get one when it comes out. Does anyone know if it will be able to sync with myfitnesspal? Do you guys really believe it could be as accurate as they say?
I notice from experience, for example, that something as simple as steak can vary drastically in its calorie count depending on its fat percentage and cut, so I'm a little skeptical.
Here's the link to it if you want to check it out and then tell me what you think:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816678675/smartplate-instantly-track-and-analyze-everything
If it actually works I feel like it'd be pretty cool!

Replies

• MimiMayRR
    MimiMayRR Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I saw the ad too and it looks really cool. I think it might be headed somewhere, but my biggest reservation with it is that it seems like you need to put different types of food into different sections of the plate (a protein here, a carb there, a vegetable here). That means that it wouldn't be able to log something like a salad or soup where all those things are mixed together. I also am under the impression that it can't log anything having to do with food prep, like how much butter you topped those veggies with, because it is basing its food analysis on images and weights, not on a chemical analysis of some sort.

So, I think it has a lot of potential, especially for people who tend to eat a protein and sides for most meals. But, I think there are some limitations to be aware of as well. It's just in development so those kinds of kinks may well get worked out (if there is enough financial backing!) as well as the product is further developed.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Yes, one step closer to:
    10606544_804258696278038_7514227038601119493_n.jpg?oh=40b1ddeba05a2159eaea4d2057a74c20&oe=55C0AFEC