Old lady arms

Options
So, I'm a 47 y.o. woman, been doing strength training off and on for many years. I'm getting back into it, but even in my most "buff" (relatively speaking) times, I've never had toned triceps!! At the moment I need to gain much more lean muscle all over ( and lose at least 10lbs), but the whole upper arm area is disproportionately flabby, jiggly, and generally gross.
I try to make sure I target my triceps on arm days, though I don't give them any more attention than the other major muscle groups.
Do I need to eat more "clean", do more arm exercises- or better ones..,?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" will not do anything for your arms. Keep exercising and age gracefully. Stop thinking of yourself as gross.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Just keep working on loosing fat plus keep lifting weights. They will come along eventually :)

What exercises are you doing, btw? You should be working on bench press and overhead press for your compounds and then if you want to add isolation exercises, curls (for biceps) and skullcrushers (for triceps) seem to be most common. Dips (bench dips if you need a modified version) are great for triceps too.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Just keep working on loosing fat plus keep lifting weights. They will come along eventually :)

What exercises are you doing, btw? You should be working on bench press and overhead press for your compounds and then if you want to add isolation exercises, curls (for biceps) and skullcrushers (for triceps) seem to be most common. Dips (bench dips if you need a modified version) are great for triceps too.

You missed out close grip bench, that and dips are probably the best exercises!
  • jemhh
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »

Oh I knew that I would miss something.

I agree about dips. I have seen the difference more with those than anything else.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,852 Member
    Options

Can someone explain what these exercises are or direct me to a web site that shows? I have the same problem and have no idea what these exercises are. Thanks.
  • jemhh
    Options
    CarolPre wrote: »

Can someone explain what these exercises are or direct me to a web site that shows? I have the same problem and have no idea what these exercises are. Thanks.

Youtube has a ton of good videos but if you want short and to the point, bodybuilding.com is my favorite. If you go here you can search by clicking on the body part or you can enter the name of the exercise in the search box.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,852 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain what these exercises are or direct me to a web site that shows? I have the same problem and have no idea what these exercises are. Thanks.[/quote]

Youtube has a ton of good videos but if you want short and to the point, bodybuilding.com is my favorite. If you go here you can search by clicking on the body part or you can enter the name of the exercise in the search box.
    [/quote]

Thanks. I didn't even think of YouTube.
  • Marthy101
    Marthy101 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, Bodybuilding.com has tons of resources- I use their Bodyspace app to track workouts.
    I try not to do the same exact workouts for forever, but lately on tri/ bi day I've been doing:
    Seated tri overhead
    Bench dip
    Hammer curls
    Concentration curls
    Barbell curls
    Tri kickback
    Incline alt dumbbell curls
    Dumbbell floor press (& crunches)