Am I doing this right?

Options
Calculating servings for recipes ~ this is what I am doing:

1. Weighing in grams the empty containter the finished recipe will be in
2. Building the recipe in the recipe builder (weighing / measuring all food)
3. Weighing in grams the final product, in the container used in step 1
4. Subtracting grams from step 1 from the grams in step 3
5. Using figure from step 5 as my 'serving' size
6. Now when I get a 'serving' I weigh this and this figure is the number of servings that I enter for calorie intake

I hope I am wording this all correctly, makes perfect sense to me!! haha :blush:

I can copy and paste one of my recipes to show if needed, Thanks!

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Well, except for saying step 5 instead of step 4 in step 5, that sounds right to me!
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Well, except for saying step 5 instead of step 4 in step 5, that sounds right to me!

:blush: haha, thanks!!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't go to quite that much trouble. Since I live alone and will consume the entire recipe, I just divide the recipe into X number of single serve containers and then go back into the recipe builder and enter the number of servings the entire recipe is making.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I simplify that by putting the empty container on the scale before I turn it on.
    So the steps are like this
    1. Put empty container on the scale
    2. Turn on scale -- scale shows 0 (zero)
    3. Put food in container
    4. Log the food

Check to see if your scale has the Tare feature:
    http://www.escali.com/blog/using-the-tare-feature-on-digital-kitchen-scales/
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    I don't go to quite that much trouble. Since I live alone and will consume the entire recipe, I just divide the recipe into X number of single serve containers and then go back into the recipe builder and enter the number of servings the entire recipe is making.

i have my husband and 2 young men so thier servings are a bit different than mine, lol
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Yes. But I simplify that by putting the empty container on the scale before I turn it on.
    3. Put food in container
    4. Log the food

yes, it does have tare ~ but not sure how to use it!! lost the manual of course. I am sure I could figure it out if I want to save some time.

Thank you!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    3. Put food in container
    4. Log the food

yes, it does have tare ~ but not sure how to use it!! lost the manual of course. I am sure I could figure it out if I want to save some time.

Thank you!

Just hit the button and the display will go back to 0. Put in ingredient 1, note the weight, tare, put in ingredient 2, note the weight...
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    Thank you @malibu927 !