Burning fat?

Options
I need ideas and ways to burn fat? I do a lot of cardio and body weight toning...but I really want to target my high thighs and stomach!!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    you burn fat when you consume less energy (calories) than your body requires to maintain the status quot...what exercise you choose to do is irrelevant. also, you can't spot reduce fat.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    you burn fat when you consume less energy (calories) than your body requires to maintain the status quot...what exercise you choose to do is irrelevant. also, you can't spot reduce fat.

qft

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • QueenBae97
    QueenBae97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Build muscle, maintain calorie deficit, lather, rise, repeat.
    Of course, when I say "build muscle", I'm not saying to become a Ms. or Mr. America bodybuilder (unless that's your goal). Strength training, with equipment or even just using body weight exercises, will add muscle and that muscle will burn the fat for you (even when you are at rest).
  • QueenBae97
    QueenBae97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Of course, when I say "build muscle", I'm not saying to become a Ms. or Mr. America bodybuilder (unless that's your goal). Strength training, with equipment or even just using body weight exercises, will add muscle and that muscle will burn the fat for you (even when you are at rest).

Thank you very much!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Thank you very much!!

Just remember to build muscle as a woman it's not "that easy"...you have to be eating over maintenance and doing a progressive load lifting program and even then it's not "fast" and you gain fat with the muscle and have to cut to see that muscle.

or

recomp where you are eating at maintenance and doing a progressive load lifting program and weight stays the same pretty much

You can't spot reduce...you just keep going...ensure you keep up with the resistance training.
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of success (+3lbs of muscle, -5lbs of fat in 2.5months) through a specific program called Eat to Perform, but in general, it required always hitting my protein goals (1g per lb of body weight) and hitting all my carbs on workout days (so I could go hard in the gym). On rest days, I could cut from both fat and carbs to get in the caloric deficit. I eat most of my carbs around my workouts (at least 50g before and 50 after) and then another 50ish before bed (so I can get good, restorative, sleep). And in my workouts I do heavy weight training and intense, short workouts (Crossfit-style) 4x a week.

Bonus: my cellulite is pretty much gone. Score. :-)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    bethlivi wrote: »
    I had a lot of success (+3lbs of muscle, -5lbs of fat in 2.5months) through a specific program called Eat to Perform, but in general, it required always hitting my protein goals (1g per lb of body weight) and hitting all my carbs on workout days (so I could go hard in the gym). On rest days, I could cut from both fat and carbs to get in the caloric deficit. I eat most of my carbs around my workouts (at least 50g before and 50 after) and then another 50ish before bed (so I can get good, restorative, sleep). And in my workouts I do heavy weight training and intense, short workouts (Crossfit-style) 4x a week.

Bonus: my cellulite is pretty much gone. Score. :-)

Not to disagree with some of your other parts, but the bolded part is quite unlikely
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Thank you very much!!

You can't spot reduce

Thank you for including this. I see so many posts in this forum asking "How do I get make my [insert body part] look good/toned/muscular?" It should be made a sticky in this forum.......don't ask questions about spot reduction.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Thank you very much!!

You can't spot reduce

Thank you for including this. I see so many posts in this forum asking "How do I get make my [insert body part] look good/toned/muscular?" It should be made a sticky in this forum.......don't ask questions about spot reduction.

Making it a sticky won't help. People will still ask this no matter what you do.
  • bethlivi
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Not to disagree with some of your other parts, but the bolded part is quite unlikely

We're doing a detailed body composition testing at 1 month increments, so, yeah, it may be unlikely, but is true. That's what happens when you go from eating less than 100g protein per day to 135+...and hitting the gym hard. 22.8%body fat to 18.7.

I know, I know...I was surprised to. And "results not typical" and all that (but again, 1 pound of weight loss per week is attainable relatively easily, so why not those changes over 8 weeks?).

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    bethlivi wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »

We're doing a detailed body composition testing at 1 month increments, so, yeah, it may be unlikely, but is true. That's what happens when you go from eating less than 100g protein per day to 135+...and hitting the gym hard. 22.8%body fat to 18.7.

I know, I know...I was surprised to. And "results not typical" and all that (but again, 1 pound of weight loss per week is attainable relatively easily, so why not those changes over 8 weeks?).

Using what method?

• bethlivi
    Options
    InBody. I've done other methods as well (caliper, water displacement, etc.)--and for my money, this one seems the most consistent for the price. (The published research on this methodology--direct segmental multi-frequency bioimpedence analysis--shows it to be as consistent as dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (which is as consistent as hydrostatic and MRI). (Gibson, Holmes et al. 2008; Ling, de Craen et al., 2011--among other peer-reviewed articles).

In other words, it's a pretty good method. :-)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Only their 770 model claims that level of accuracy.

Your claim of muscle gain is comparable with women on steroids which is what makes it easy to doubt.
  • bethlivi
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Where did you get that number? I can't seem to find any citations that suggest my rate of muscle mass gain as a proportion of my body weight is abnormal--higher end of normal, yes, but men my size can expect about 3lbs a month (edit: for beginners doing proper training, which is my comparable position) and for women I estimate about half that, so I'll stick with the most parsimonious explanation ans the guidance of my coaches and nutritionists. I think I trust that more than your uncited gut feeling. :-) but thanks for your comments!