Low-Carb, High Fat...But how much fat?

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    That's awesome! Keep up your hard work! I get confused on all this macro stuff too.
    Okay Here's what I'm doing - and it's working so far although next week I am lowering my calories per my trainer. And as I understand it I will eventually plateau so the calories will gradually get less over time. I'm 6 weeks in and down 12-13 lbs. walking 30-45 min every day and lifting 3x a week.

Eating primal-ish....and although most days I do go over my calories and usually end up at 1800- I'm still losing. Slow and steady!
    So next week I will aim to not go over 1700 for the next 6 weeks. Hoping I don't notice because I totally get hungry.. What can I say I love to eat!

I don't think I could do 1200. How do you feel on 1200?w5k3kmtmhjmh.jpg

Thank you so much!! And thank you for the positivity, too! I came to these boards because I thought it would be a safe place with no negativity (I get enough of that from the people I am surrounded by daily). Thank you for being so kind and helpful!

So telling you that your doctor may be confused when it comes to nutrition, because what they said makes no sense, and you should possibly seek out a second opinion, is being negative?

Actually, it sounded like their interpretation of the doctor trying to dumb down an explanation of IR. The doctor didn't put them on a juice fast with a cayenne cleanse chaser.
  • NicoleSimmons2015
    NicoleSimmons2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Yes I agree! Listen to your doctor
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    No, I am specifically referring to those who are against LCHF lifestyle. And thanks, pedidiva. he really does do a great job of explaining.

OP do what you want.

Your dr's comments about a broken fat burning metabolism raised major red flags with some us, and we just wanted additional info.

If you feel that LCHF is best suited for your situation then by all means do it, and good luck to you.

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Listen to a doctor instead of all the experts here? That's crazy talk. :)
  • ndj1979
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    That's awesome! Keep up your hard work! I get confused on all this macro stuff too.
    Okay Here's what I'm doing - and it's working so far although next week I am lowering my calories per my trainer. And as I understand it I will eventually plateau so the calories will gradually get less over time. I'm 6 weeks in and down 12-13 lbs. walking 30-45 min every day and lifting 3x a week.

Eating primal-ish....and although most days I do go over my calories and usually end up at 1800- I'm still losing. Slow and steady!
    So next week I will aim to not go over 1700 for the next 6 weeks. Hoping I don't notice because I totally get hungry.. What can I say I love to eat!

I don't think I could do 1200. How do you feel on 1200?w5k3kmtmhjmh.jpg

Thank you so much!! And thank you for the positivity, too! I came to these boards because I thought it would be a safe place with no negativity (I get enough of that from the people I am surrounded by daily). Thank you for being so kind and helpful!

So telling you that your doctor may be confused when it comes to nutrition, because what they said makes no sense, and you should possibly seek out a second opinion, is being negative?

Actually, it sounded like their interpretation of the doctor trying to dumb down an explanation of IR. The doctor didn't put them on a juice fast with a cayenne cleanse chaser.

a better explanation would of been you have borderline IR and should do this. Not some woo woo about fat burning metabolism being broken.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    <3<3<3 wabmester
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    just remmeber, the fat is a ceiling. Dont overeat because you think you have to make that macro. Protein is only one you need to hit, carb and fat you can stay under by however much you want if you arent feeling hungry.
  • avdance00
    avdance00 Posts: 1 Member
    i just finished reading "why we get fat and what to do about it" by gary taubes. it did a great job of explaining (and backing up w/ plenty of scientific studies) the whole insulin mediates fat thing. I've got my ratio set to 20% carbs, 35% protein, and 45% fat. cals are set to 1390 per day, but I RARELY hit that goal...I'm usually around 1200 per day because I'm way less hungry with the above ratios.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    avdance00 wrote: »
    i just finished reading "why we get fat and what to do about it" by gary taubes. it did a great job of explaining (and backing up w/ plenty of scientific studies) the whole insulin mediates fat thing. I've got my ratio set to 20% carbs, 35% protein, and 45% fat. cals are set to 1390 per day, but I RARELY hit that goal...I'm usually around 1200 per day because I'm way less hungry with the above ratios.

Unless you have a medical condition, restricting carbs is not needed to lose weight.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member

Unless you have a medical condition, restricting carbs is not needed to lose weight.

OP just said they're pre-diabetic.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    (to "activate my fat-burning metabolism, because my sugar-starch metabolism, which is standard, is broken").

Is this real life?

• elphie754
    tomatoey wrote: »

OP just said they're pre-diabetic.

I was not referring to the OP. I was referring to the book the person read that "explained" that insulin leads to fat, and that is one of the reasons we get fat.
  • tomatoey
    Flagged, bringing outside history into an unrelated thread.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

do you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to carbs?

you appear to have one

• liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    OP has a thyroid problem and pre-diabetic.

Some people with thyroid problems don't burn anywhere near as many calories in a day as most people of the same height/weight. If OP's thyroid is slow, it's very well possible 1200 cal is appropriate. ( if that's what the doctor recommended)

Some people with thyroid problems do better on a low carb diets. Don't know the reason but they tend to be able to lose weight more easily that way.

Being pre-diabetic low carb is also not a bad idea. Also, eating a good potion of the carbs you do eat in fiber will help a lot with that too. You want to stay away from things that spike your blood sugar (simple carbs like added sugar)

OP, if you are not sure about how much fat you should eat, call your doctors office and explain you use a calorie tracking app that tracks fat/carb/ protein. She could recommend percentage or amounts for each.
  • elphie754

Pretty sure that is not abuse.
  • tomatoey

It is according to me, I guess the mods can decide.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member

It is according to me, I guess the mods can decide.

The mods will never see it if you flag it. You have to use the "report" option, and select the "attacking/insulting other members option" which includes dragging your past post history into a new thread. All flagging does is provoke people to follow you around.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited June 2015

The OP went to see a doctor, this may be a clue.

• ndj1979
    yarwell wrote: »

The OP went to see a doctor, this may be a clue.

yea, a doctor who said her "fat burning metabolism was broke"...sounds legit...
This discussion has been closed.