I gained 2 pounds and I feel really crappy.

Options
2»

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    MeiannaLee wrote: »

I don't know if it could be water retention because I dont know exactly the symptoms of that. I know I have been stressed with finals and I havent gotten my period since April....I dont know why?
    But my shorts are a bit tighter, which to me means fat gain.

I weigh myself once a week, usually every sunday or every monday. And in the evening I weigh about 1 pound more than I did in the morning. If I were to weigh myself today at night I would probably be 116.
    Are you possibly pregnant? Have you talked to your GYN about your missing period?

Also, you should weigh yourself first thing in the morning, before eating, after potty. If you weigh yourself in the evening, you're weighing yourself after a full day of eating/digestion/drinking/etc... which won't give you an accurate number.

Water retention doesn't really have 'symptoms'. Except maybe bloating/swelling. Most of the time it's pretty benign... except on the scale.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It may sound weird, but the best thing I have done for my sanity is to start weighing myself every day. I use trendweight.com to smooth out the differences. I can be up and down 3-4 pounds from day to day. I have a wifi scale and a fitbit.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

I don't know if it could be water retention because I dont know exactly the symptoms of that. I know I have been stressed with finals and I havent gotten my period since April....I dont know why?

I weigh myself once a week, usually every sunday or every monday. And in the evening I weigh about 1 pound more than I did in the morning. If I were to weigh myself today at night I would probably be 116.
    Are you possibly pregnant? Have you talked to your GYN about your missing period?

Also, you should weigh yourself first thing in the morning, before eating, after potty. If you weigh yourself in the evening, you're weighing yourself after a full day of eating/digestion/drinking/etc... which won't give you an accurate number.

Water retention doesn't really have 'symptoms'. Except maybe bloating/swelling. Most of the time it's pretty benign... except on the scale.

Yea I made an appointment with my doctor, but she cant take me until August. But I'm hoping it just has to do with increased activity? I know that exercising and weightloss causes your period either last a long time, or to disappear. Or maybe I'm anemic, I have been craving sour foods.
  • Ninkyou
    Options

Yea I made an appointment with my doctor, but she cant take me until August. But I'm hoping it just has to do with increased activity? I know that exercising and weightloss causes your period either last a long time, or to disappear. Or maybe I'm anemic, I have been craving sour foods.

I was actually the opposite. I wasn't getting my period and weight loss and exercise brought it back.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Have you taken a pregnancy test? Is it possible for you to be pregnant? If you let your Ob-gyn know that you THINK you may be pregnant, they usually try to see you as soon as possible.
  • Ninkyou
    Options

Have you taken a pregnancy test? Is it possible for you to be pregnant? If you let your Ob-gyn know that you THINK you may be pregnant, they usually try to see you as soon as possible.

Missed period, cravings, pants not fitting.... I mean... if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

It could be a chicken, but signs point to duck.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    No I havent been sexually active recently so I can't be pregnant. ^^^
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

My guess, it's probably the usual weight gain from eating more than you were. Part of it is the increased weight of the food, part is water retention. Since you lost your period without other symptoms that had you running for your gynecologist, part may also be your menstrual cycle correcting itself as you eat more. I think it likely you have been eating too little at 1200 to fuel your exercise. Losing your period because you're not eating enough and are working out is not that uncommon when you are at a healthy weight.

If I were you, I'd stay at the fitbit levels for a while longer. At least a month of total time, then re-evaluate. I definitely would not drop back to 1200 cals. Having your period stop is not a good thing.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit, but I don't eat back the "extra calories" I use the calories set by MFP without adding the exercise. For example, right now I have it set at 1570 (which is about the same the fitbit has), But if I have a good exercise day, I try to stay within that same calorie limit. Some people say the MFP and fitbit burn calculation are inflated, so only eat back half the calories if you are going to eat them.

I love my fitbit, it keeps me motivated, but I think I won't worry about those "extra" calories until I am in maintenance.

The period thing might be a factor, you may have just gain water weight. I usually gain from 5-10 pounds in water weight just before my period, but it adjusts back down later, so if you haven't had one, your hormones are likely jacked and you should see your physician, but don't fret over the 2 pounds, just go back to the original MFP adjustments.