Barbell question: Can I teach myself the power clean without a trainer? --also Kettlebell

Options
What do you think? I've taught myself pretty much everything I do with a barbell from youtube. But the olympic lifts seem like they are in a different class. Does anyone have any experience doing this? (Also, what can I do without bumper plates?)

And I'll add kettlebell to the question because I have similar fears about trying to do it from youtube videos. Has anyone taught themselves the kettlebell and avoided injury, etc?

Thanks for any input you have.

Replies

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can do it, but I'd advise you to start light and make certain your form is good. I taught myself to clean. I've never attempted the snatch, because that one seems dangerous to do without some level of guidance.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Um. You can watch a whole bunch of youtube videos. But, in my experience, there comes a point in the Olympic lifts where somebody has to watch you and give you a critique. In the clean, for instance, you can take a fairly light weight and throw it up to your shoulders without much trouble. But when you do a heavy clean, you don't want to biceps-curl it up, and there is a hip thrust involved, etc., etc. It can be difficult to see and to know on your own that you are doing/not doing those things. It takes someone with an experienced eye to tell you.

Bumper plates are pretty important. If you drop a bar a bunch of time with metal weights, it is hard on the bar. (and the floor, of course) More importantly, people get hurt often during the part of the movements when they are extending and putting the bar down, but trying to control it somewhat. That is why you often see Olympic weightlifters just dropping the weight they have lifted. Much safer that way.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you've seen this video, but Alan Thrall makes really good tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPsxlNjv7Aw
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can do it, but I'd advise you to start light and make certain your form is good. I taught myself to clean. I've never attempted the snatch, because that one seems dangerous to do without some level of guidance.

Same here.

• Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm teaching myself kettlebells at the minute. Got some great advice on here. Am starting with a really low weight and focusing on form for now, then will increase the weight once I'm happy I'm doing the moves correctly. Good luck with it! :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I would video yourself doing it. Even better, post it here for others to critique.

It's a pretty specialized movement (not commonly used outside the gym), so unless you want to compete in it, don't feel pressured to do it. There are plenty of other explosive movements (kettlebell swings, etc).
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I taught myself kettlebells from videos - specifically one by Sarah Lurie - her technique and explanations are very good.... I did start with light kettlebells - 10 and 15 lbs, and worked my way up from there.... Not sure about the power clean though....
  • marky1965
    marky1965 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    With the power clean, use a broom stick until you get technique right and then progress slowly. Don't load the bar up just go slow.

Kettle bells are great self teach, look up Mike Mahler or Pavel ??? (The Russian guy) they have some great tips
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    On the bumper plate issue, I was thinking of staying within a squat cage and doing a "hang clean." So I wouldn't risk dropping the barbell too much distance...
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    awnurmarc wrote: »
    On the bumper plate issue, I was thinking of staying within a squat cage and doing a "hang clean." So I wouldn't risk dropping the barbell too much distance...

This is what I do. Keep it on the lighter side and go for reps. Sometimes I integrate an overhead press.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to watch and study a video. It's another to actually perform it correctly since you can't really see yourself actually doing the movement at every angle (unless you video yourself).

I see people squatting who believe they are doing it "correctly" all the time, but things like heels raising off the floor, pushing more off their toes than their heels, slight rounding of the back on ascension, rising with back first instead of hips, etc. are always small things that the person does without noticing.

Can you learn? Sure. But it doesn't hurt to get advice on your form from someone who is well versed on the lift.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    What do you want to achieve?

To learn to do it safely, and as an accessory, sure. If you want to compete, or you love perfection, get a coach. Also without a coach will be slower, that may or may not bother you.

I would say bumpers are pretty essential, in case you need to bail. dropping onto a rack is a good way to bend a bar and get attacked by a gym owner! ;)
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So, in the absence of a gym with bumper plates, it sounds like I need to put this off until I can get a bar and bumper plates in my garage or basement...
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    A power clean is a combination deadlift, upright row and front squat. You can break the movement into its individual components and get the same benefits without a coach. The only reason to learn the olympic lifts is if you want to compete in meets. If you're going to do the oly lifts you should definitely get a coach.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    A power clean is a combination deadlift, upright row and front squat. You can break the movement into its individual components and get the same benefits without a coach. The only reason to learn the olympic lifts is if you want to compete in meets. If you're going to do the oly lifts you should definitely get a coach.

This is a good point and a valid way to look at it. It's why I'd do snatch grip deadlifts instead of attempting an actual snatch.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I taught myself the power clean using Rippetoe’s book and the bodybuilding exercise tutorial and video. I started light (55lbs) and I’m only starting to add weight now, after a few weeks of practice.

I don’t agree with @DevilsFan1 (sorry!) that you should only learn olympic lifts if you want to compete in meets. They’re fun and awesome. You just have to be careful with your form. Having someone check it is always a good idea.

Edit: I see you want to do this in a home gym. I’d definitely advise caution in that case, because having a lifting platform and proper plates does really help.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I taught myself the power clean using Rippetoe’s book and the bodybuilding exercise tutorial and video. I started light (55lbs) and I’m only starting to add weight now, after a few weeks of practice.

I don’t agree with @DevilsFan1 (sorry!) that you should only learn olympic lifts if you want to compete in meets. They’re fun and awesome. You just have to be careful with your form. Having someone check it is always a good idea.

OK, I agree. They are fun when done correctly; however, they are specialized, highly technical movements that are specifically used for competition. No one should be teaching themselves to do them. It's way too easy to injure yourself if you don't know what you're doing.
  • Emilia777
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It’s easy to injure yourself doing just about any compound lift though. I didn’t realize they were supposed to be exclusively competition material.

I do value form more than anything though, and do see where you’re coming from. I’ve seen people with some atrocious squat/deadlift form at the gym, and I need to bite my tongue to keep that thought to myself.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Respectfully disagree on all fronts.

A clean is nothing like a deadlift or an upright row, if you're doing it like that, it's not a "proper" clean. By definition, a clean is barbell from floor to shoulders in 1 move, so technically, if you do that smooth enough it is one, but its definitely not the most efficient way to move the weight and will lose out on the explosive aspect of the lift.

That's not the only reason to learn the lift, other valid reasons are - for fun, to learn to be more explosive, to develop power, for crossfit WODs or even just to look like a badass (if that's your thing). Although maybe you will be tempted to compete, if you get bitten by the bug.

FInally, the injury rate isn't really any worse than any other compound lift, as long as you are sensible. If you go for a 2x bodyweight clean on your very first attempt, you're asking for trouble. If you're sensible and start with an empty bar, or even a womens (15kg) or technique (5kg) bar, you'll most likely be just fine.

I agree a coach helps a lot (see previous post), but is not absolutely necessary, and especially if you have no plans to compete in any way.
  • Emilia777
    edited June 2015
    Options
    HelloDan wrote: »

Respectfully disagree on all fronts.

A clean is nothing like a deadlift or an upright row, if you're doing it like that, it's not a "proper" clean. By definition, a clean is barbell from floor to shoulders in 1 move, so technically, if you do that smooth enough it is one, but its definitely not the most efficient way to move the weight and will lose out on the explosive aspect of the lift.

That's not the only reason to learn the lift, other valid reasons are - for fun, to learn to be more explosive, to develop power, for crossfit WODs or even just to look like a badass (if that's your thing). Although maybe you will be tempted to compete, if you get bitten by the bug.

FInally, the injury rate isn't really any worse than any other compound lift, as long as you are sensible. If you go for a 2x bodyweight clean on your very first attempt, you're asking for trouble. If you're sensible and start with an empty bar, or even a womens (15kg) or technique (5kg) bar, you'll most likely be just fine.

I agree a coach helps a lot (see previous post), but is not absolutely necessary, and especially if you have no plans to compete in any way.

Mhm. I actually distinctly recall reading, in Rippetoe’s Starting Strength, some injury statistics for various sports. The highest rate of injury was for soccer, and the lowest for lifting (if memory serves).