T minus less than two weeks to marathon, any last words of advice?

Options
less than two weeks away from my first marathon. im not fast (12 min miler) so no land speed records will be broken but i will be pushing myself along the way. im terrified, motivated, encouraged, and determined. I have trained all I can train and am tapering down.

last words? rights? :) motivational thoughts?

Replies

• Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have done many long distance endurance events - running and triathlon, and I have a few strategies:

- Know the course and then break it into manageable chunks. 4x 10km (ish) sounds mentally easier than 42.2km. Give yourself mini goals.
    - If your mood changes, eat something - time for a gel, or whatever type of nutrition you can easily manage.
    - Keep your "reason why" in the front of your mind for when things get tough.
    - It's OK to take a walk break, but set a goal for when you will begin to run again (count to 20, a telephone pole, etc.), and stick to it! Later on in the race, walking probably won't feel any better than running, so why not run!
    - Do a self-check and ask yourself, "am I doing the best I can at this moment? Will I be happy with this effort later tonight?".
    - Stay positive, smile, take energy from the spectators, volunteers and other runners.

And above all, enjoy the experience. Good luck! You'll be great!
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Wow Jen2133, that is EXCELLENT advice. Thank you.

OP !! GOOD LUCK !!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Run Happy ;)