Is this a good regimen if I stick to it?

Options
I am 5'6 and 180 pounds. Before college started I was 150. So I gained 30 pounds in a year from poor diet and lack of exercise. Well I noticed I was at my happiest weight when I weighed 140, so my ultimate goal is to weigh 130 pounds. I know it's going to take some time to lose 50 pounds, but I would like to lose about 20 to 25 pounds before I start college at the end of August. The only reason I say this is because it is much harder for me to lose weight in college, so I would like a pretty good head start. Recently my diet has been at about 1200-1600 calories a day, and 1 hr of incline walking. I lost about 4 pounds in 5 days. Well I've already quit that regimen and have no motivation to start incline walking again. So I came up with a new plan that I used to stick to and enjoyed. Walking for an hour and a half 5x a week at a 3% incline. Also including 30 minutes of Pilates every morning. My diet is decent, I would keep the calories around 1200 calories, and eating oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, a lean cuisine for lunch, and chicken with a big side of veggies for dinner. Is my 20 pound goal before August 30th attainable with this new regimen? I do have knee problems so I can't do very intense exercises, but if you have any tips I would love to hear them.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Not to be negative but probably not. 1200 is very low and chances are if you quit your walking regimen in 5 days you will probably quit the diet too. It is so restrictive. You can eat more and still lose. Figure out your TDEE -20% and make that your calorie goal. Strive for at least 1 lb loss per week which is definitely more attainable.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    apeyboo wrote: »
    I am 5'6 and 180 pounds. Before college started I was 150. So I gained 30 pounds in a year from poor diet and lack of exercise. Well I noticed I was at my happiest weight when I weighed 140, so my ultimate goal is to weigh 130 pounds. I know it's going to take some time to lose 50 pounds, but I would like to lose about 20 to 25 pounds before I start college at the end of August. The only reason I say this is because it is much harder for me to lose weight in college, so I would like a pretty good head start. Recently my diet has been at about 1200-1600 calories a day, and 1 hr of incline walking. I lost about 4 pounds in 5 days. Well I've already quit that regimen and have no motivation to start incline walking again. So I came up with a new plan that I used to stick to and enjoyed. Walking for an hour and a half 5x a week at a 3% incline. Also including 30 minutes of Pilates every morning. My diet is decent, I would keep the calories around 1200 calories, and eating oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, a lean cuisine for lunch, and chicken with a big side of veggies for dinner. Is my 20 pound goal before August 30th attainable with this new regimen? I do have knee problems so I can't do very intense exercises, but if you have any tips I would love to hear them.

That's less than two pounds per week so yes it is attainable. It will be tough but it is doable.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    consider aiming for a pound a week and if you lose more, awesome. don't set yourself up for failure because if you quit out of frustration, that won't get you anywhere. as for the exercise, did you quit before because you got bored? if so, maybe throw some higher-intensity stuff every other day so you aren't just walking all the time. jillian michaels has some great workout DVDs!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    OP,

You look really familiar to me...
    Anywho.

If you stick to 1200 calories, eat at least half of your exercise calories back (more if you have an HRM, 50% if you're using the MFP database).

When I started, I had similar stats, 5'7" 172.
    I did the 1200 calorie thing, no weight training, all cardio, no eating exercise calories back.
    I got to 140. I was kinda flabby. And weak.
    I'm currently 5'7" and 155#, I can wear almost all of the same clothes I was wearing at 140#. I lift now. I'm a lot less flabby and a lot less weak.

Your diet (as in meal plan) seems really boring. And lacking lots of micronutrients.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It might work, but you would have to be extra diligent when you're tracking your calories. If you don't have a food scale, get one yesterday. Start weighing every single thing that passes your lips, EVERYTHING.

Maybe look into some type of strength training too, you MIGHT be able to lose a couple of inches.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It's doable, but what happens in August when schools starts? If you're hard on yourself now, you're going to want to indulge more later. How about losing a more modest 10 pounds, and then try to eat at a maintenance level while also walking as much as possible while going to school. I've had plenty of ups and downs and I hope you can avoid that.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I agree that in some ways it's hard to lose while at school (parties, drinking, takeout food, etc. don't help in that process). But on the other hand, there is lots of access to exercise. There is usually a fitness facility on campus. Go with your girlfriends to spin or zumba or something like that (as long as it doesn't bother your knee.) Don't take the bus--walk to class instead, etc.

• ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    1lb per week is great. Your diet sounds like you are going very low fat. I really disagree with this approach as you as a young person, actually everyone at all stages, need fat to run your body well. Our body needs essential fats and proteins and micronutrients. Carbs are fillers, really. So I agree, re-evaluate your diet.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Plan to succeed with your new way of eating during college. It will be harder but not impossible. I lost 20lbs myself diligently counting calories while I was living in a dorm. I think it's good you are starting now because you are on your way to building habits to help you out once school starts. Don't throw it away once you're there. You can do this and succeed. And if for any reason you don't hit your 20-25lb goal by August but you are still trying your best, keep persevering forward! Habits matter
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It is a good regimen if you CAN stick to it, but I have my doubts. Even if you think you have enjoyed it before, it obviously wasn't sustainable, as you feel the need to lose weight again? Your diet is very restricted and even your exercise routine sounds boring and excessive.

My advice would be to have a less aggressive calorie goal, have more fat, eat a more varied diet. I am more of an eater than an exerciser, but is it possible to swim or do water aerobics? Switching things up will be better for your knees than monotonous strain, even at low intensity.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    The best regimen, is the one that you will stick to.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think any routine that you can stick to is going to work. However from what you described it would seem that you will burn out from boredom. Like walking for an hour and a half five times a week. That seems like a lot of time and would be especially difficult once you would start school I would think. Come up with a workout routine that can work at home and at school and try mixing it up so you can look forward to certain things. Same with the food. A varied diet is usually a better and healthier one. I think it would be best to come up with a diet and workout routine that you do at home that you could easily incorporate into your life when you start back at school. You gained 30 pounds last year because life got busy and you had other things to focus on instead of what you're eating. Start now on a routine that will also work for you at school so that you don't do this every summer for four years.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    The best regimen, is the one that you will stick to.

Correct