Very large couch potato

Options
getting motivated staying motivated enough to lose 10 stone........
I love swimming have been going the odd morning before work and love it, how do I keep motivated to go without the couch potato in me telling me to stop moving around!!!!!!!

Replies

• mom2doodles
    mom2doodles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Turn off the tv and walk out the door. That's what I've had to do! I have a desk job and so it's real easy to stay on low side of movement. I try to walk at lunch, but soon will be needing to do it in the morning since its getting to 80 degrees by the time of my lunch.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    The best (and possibly only) way to get out of the "couch potato" mindset is to get up and exercise. If you make yourself get up and do something enough days in a row, it becomes a habit (just like being a potato became a habit). There's not a magical formula for this (unfortunately). You simply need to make yourself do it. It gets easier eventually. I rarely miss gym days anymore, and there's always a good reason if I do (ie the gym is closed).
  • mollysmummy17
    mollysmummy17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, that is true. I am out of the habit of doing good things and in the habit of doing bad things, hense the weight gain
  • AdelaDi
    AdelaDi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    One thing I find very useful in trying to making something a habit is to try to organize things so that you don't need motivation - so that the good option is the default one, the one that requires the least effort. Like having water in a glass already on your desk when you are work, so that you don't have to make a conscious effort to get up and get a glass. If it takes little effort to do something, then when the lack of motivation strikes, it's more likely to still go through with it. For instance, if you want to go swimming the next day, make sure to get ready the night before - for instance, have all the clothes, towels etc. ready and packed, go to sleep early enough so that you're not too tired the next morning. Good luck!