Proteins

Options
Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
I love exercising, my passion is to become a stronger and faster triathlete. In order to keep improving I try to improve my technique, endurance, strength, gear, rest and nutrition. There is so much to learn! I recently started looking into how much protein I eat and how much I need, what good sources of protein are, when to eat them, etc. I discovered that I don't get enough protein, so I looked for ways to increase my protein intake. So (for example) I learned that quark is a good source. Now I eat some every evening. I am also thinking of drinking shakes every now and then.

But my question is; if protein really was a limiting factor, can I expect my muscles to become stronger now that I get enough of it? My logic says yes, but I wonder what your experience is.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Any whole, minimally processed source of protein is a good option. Your body doesn't care about specific foods... only your palate does.

Precise hour timing is inconsequential. Daily consistency is more important.

Protein alone isn't going to make you muscular; however, a proven weight training routine, dedication, proper form, and adequate protein intake will... up to a point.

If you really want to learn more. Go over to bodybuilding.com and visit the nutrition forum there. Unfortunately, you really won't get the answers you're looking for here (for the most part).
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Some i eat on a weekly basis are

Chicken
    Beef
    Pork
    Fish
    Lamb
    Eggs
    Whey powder
    Lentils
    beans
    Prawns

If you want to get strong do strength training, ie lift the heaviest weights you can.

Alot of triathletes are cardio bunny's and you can tell a lot look very skinny and sick almost

Cardio is great but you need to lift weights to persevere lean mass

• Physiobody
    Physiobody Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As an athlete you definitely do need a certain amount of protein up to a certain point to ensure adequate repair and recovery. However, to make your muscles grow you must also apply the appropriate stimulus to the muscle. Simply consuming protein doesn't magically build muscle. Also, as a triathlete, you shouldn't expect to add a large amount of muscle mass as endurance events are a poor stimulus for muscle growth. However, you will get improved muscular endurance and efficiency. I would recommend getting around .7-.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass as the research shows this is the range appropriate for most athletes. Many people will hype super high protein diets but there is definitely a level of diminishing returns and you would benefit from getting more carbohydrates to fuel your training. That being said here are my favorite sources:

Cottage Cheese
    Greek Yogurt
    Eggs/Egg Whites
    Steak
    Pork
    Chicken
    Fish
    Quest Bars
    Protein Shakes (I list these last as I think getting protein from whole food sources is more satisfying)