Looking for breast cancer survivors

Options
wenanghen
wenanghen Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi friends, Are there any breast cancer survivors out there who are struggling with weight gain during and after treatment ? I'm up 30 pounds since my diagnosis in Oct 2012.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,221 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have never had breast cancer, but just wanted to welcome you to MFP. :flowerforyou:
  • wenanghen
    Options
    wenanghen wrote: »
    Hi friends, Are there any breast cancer survivors out there who are struggling with weight gain during and after treatment ? I'm up 30 pounds since my diagnosis.

• wenanghen
    Options
    Thanks !
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Survivor here! I gained 20lbs since my diagnosis last and started MFP in January. So far I've lost 26lbs. I'm on Tamoxifen and strongly feel it has slowed my metabolism down. I have to be so careful about my diet and exercise like crazy. That said - it CAN be done!! I'll send you a friend request.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi! Not a survior here but my mom is! She had a massectomy though, then chemo so she lost a substantial amount of weight. I wish you the best! <3
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Not breast cancer, but a different cancer... there are several groups on here that you may enjoy :) Good luck and welcome! <3
  • wenanghen
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thank you and all the best to you all as well !
  • wenanghen
    Options
    Hello SunflowerCat74 ! I've been reading your awesome comments on your news feed. I agree with you about the tamoxifen. My metabolism has definitely slowed down. It's inspiring to see that you have still managed to take the pounds off. Good job and I hope I can do the same ! You give me hope that I can get my old self back. 2015 is going to be the year I get there !
  • patthecatt
    patthecatt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, not a breast cancer survivor myself but I am actually collecting data for UCL (got all the ethical approval and everything) to get feedback from cancer survivors about an exercise app. This data will lead into a development of a physical activity application that is specifically tailored towards those who have had cancer. Sorry to advertise like that but I think it's a pretty cool opportunity to get involved in. But anyways welcome to the forum! If anyone would like to hear more you can message me on here.
  • Ebeth24Fitness
    Ebeth24Fitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! Not a survior here but my mom is! She had a massectomy though, then chemo so she lost a substantial amount of weight. I wish you the best! <3
    wenanghen wrote: »
    Hi friends, Are there any breast cancer survivors out there who are struggling with weight gain during and after treatment ? I'm up 30 pounds since my diagnosis in Oct 2012.

• Ebeth24Fitness
    Ebeth24Fitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm stage 3 breast cancer survivor. It's all about starting with corrective exercise - first focus on building endurance (training muscles to last longer) and corrective exercises to restore balance to overactive & under.active muscles. I'm a fitness trainer and everyone seems to skip this & go right into hard exercises. Build the foundation first!
  • Lpaduano17
    Lpaduano17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Breast cancer survivor here currently still undergoing treatment. I was diagnosed back in January and finished chemo 3 weeks ago. I will start radiation next week. Need to start working to lose some of this weight I gained during treatment!
  • Antozoo
    Antozoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I finished chemo in May, started tamoxifen in June (and I'll have it for 10y). I'm not just putting on weight, but also is happening so fast. My clothes don't fit anymore. I'm constantly hungry and obsessed with food.
    So that's how I thought I'd try MFP. Just started, so I'm still keen. I'm going swimming 3 times a week, walk to work, pilates twice a week. Not lost a gram, but at least not put any more on. Pfff.
    App seems like a great idea. Would be nice to have something tailored.
  • almyers7
    almyers7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am just starting my lovely breast cancer journey. The fatigue has been crazy I was a distance runner for years and it drained all my energy. At least I know what was sucking all my energy. I am just starting back on the fitness road. I am planning on working out during chemo. Probably not all the time but running has been my outlet so I am pushing on. I already have my spring races picked out. :smiley: