Sick a lot more!

Options
Has anyone noticed that their immune system has gone to crap since restricting calories? I seem to be sick all the time now, often only having like 3 days of 'well' before I come down with another cold. Makes it really hard to work out too :( I'm losing weight, and still being active but man I wish I could just feel well doing it!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've never been so well in my life than since I started eating at correct calorie levels and making sure that a wide variety of food provides all my micro-nutrients. Are you sure your calories are set correctly? Has something else changed in your life? Correlation does not imply causation.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    That sometimes happens to me if I'm being too strict with my calories. Maybe switch to a lower deficit.

Are you hitting all your micronutrients, too? Getting enough rest, both at night and taking rest days from exercise?

~Lyssa
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Your lower calories is probably not the problem, but the quality of food in your diary might have something to do with it...You are not getting proper nutrients when eating almost no vegetables, the odd apple, and lots of chips, donuts, cheeseburgers and so on....You need enough fruit, vegetables, protein and less refined carbs if you want to survive on so little calories - what you are eating will definitely not give you the nutrients your body needs....
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when we restrict calories we also restrict our nutrients, vitamins and minerals. It's helpful to take a good multiple vitamin and remember that exercise is a stessor, a very very good stressor, but a stressor nonetheless and can lower your immune system.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you are getting sick from diet, exercise or a combination of both, stop it right now and talk to your doctor. We can all guess till the cows come home as to what the problem is, but only your doctor will be able to tell you what is making you sick. There is nothing in the simple fact of calorie restriction that should be making you sick.
  • cindyjgates56
    cindyjgates56 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The dietitian in me couldn't resist replying to your post. Make sure all your calories count (as in nutrient-rich foods) when you're restricting calories. As the last writer posted, micronutrients matter, so if you're making up the majority of your calories with "not so good foods", maybe you should consider taking a multivitamin? Or something like emergenC?
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I've never been so well in my life than since I started eating at correct calorie levels and making sure that a wide variety of food provides all my micro-nutrients. Are you sure your calories are set correctly? Has something else changed in your life? Correlation does not imply causation.

Agree. I can honestly say that since I cut down my coffee intake and increased my water intake, eat more fruits and veggies, healthy fats, etc. I have had much more energy throughout the day and the more exercise I do the better I feel both mentally and physically.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Go see a DR. My immune system has gotten better since i have lost weight and quite smoking,
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Yes, you are absolutely right about correlation not implying causation. It's my son's first year in Kindergarten, so being sick might have more to do with that than anything else. I guess I'm just sick of being sick lol. It's been back to back since the beginning of February!
  • KrunchyMama
    edited June 2015
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    That sometimes happens to me if I'm being too strict with my calories. Maybe switch to a lower deficit.

Are you hitting all your micronutrients, too? Getting enough rest, both at night and taking rest days from exercise?

~Lyssa

I'm taking a multivitamin for the micronutrients, and trying to get a lot of rest. This weekend was a bit of a write-off because I had two gatherings I had to go to, and late nights. My main form of exercise is running after my kids and dancing with them, so I don't get rest days lol

Edited to add: I don't take a multivitamin every day though. Maybe I should be.
  • KrunchyMama
    edited June 2015
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Your lower calories is probably not the problem, but the quality of food in your diary might have something to do with it...You are not getting proper nutrients when eating almost no vegetables, the odd apple, and lots of chips, donuts, cheeseburgers and so on....You need enough fruit, vegetables, protein and less refined carbs if you want to survive on so little calories - what you are eating will definitely not give you the nutrients your body needs....

Yes, this weekend was terrible! I had quite a few obligations this weekend, and today was an unplanned run-around in town day.

I usually eat the same thing every day, and log to see where I'm at for calories if I'm off routine because I've had to make food exceptions.

I usually eat 2-3 eggs, an apple, and a coffee for breakfast, yogurt and frozen berries for lunch, and protein+veg+rice or potato for dinner though. Usually organic, and only local pastured meat. Eggs come from my own chickens, who free range and eat all our veggie compost scraps
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    If you are getting sick from diet, exercise or a combination of both, stop it right now and talk to your doctor. We can all guess till the cows come home as to what the problem is, but only your doctor will be able to tell you what is making you sick. There is nothing in the simple fact of calorie restriction that should be making you sick.

Ok, this is what I was wondering. I had been to my doc a few months ago, and got the clean bill of health, so it must be from my sons school or something. They sure are little germ magnets haha!
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    mmnv79 wrote: »

Thanks! Reading it now :)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

Yes, you are absolutely right about correlation not implying causation. It's my son's first year in Kindergarten, so being sick might have more to do with that than anything else. I guess I'm just sick of being sick lol. It's been back to back since the beginning of February!

I would hazard a guess at it being this. Kids are walking, talking germ deposits. I went on placement at a preschool and brought home the gastric flu.
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess at it being this. Kids are walking, talking germ deposits. I went on placement at a preschool and brought home the gastric flu.

We were fine from Sept-Dec though, and I started MFP in January. Only 18 more days to go until summer vacation, so hopefully this is my last cold!

I'll try to up my vegetables too, like one of the posters above suggested. I think Saturday night I just did a quick add for calories. I wish there was a way to say what the quick-adds were for, because it was a vegan potluck lol, so the food was quinoa salad with lots of veggies, roasted red pepper soup (made with a scotch bonnet too, it was soooo good!), and chana masala (chickpea curry with onions and tomatoes) with rice. Oh and raw vegetables lol, with some sulphite-laced dehydrated pineapple pieces for 'dessert'. So super healthy (except for the pineapple), but it reflects poorly!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The dietitian in me couldn't resist replying to your post. Make sure all your calories count (as in nutrient-rich foods) when you're restricting calories. As the last writer posted, micronutrients matter, so if you're making up the majority of your calories with "not so good foods", maybe you should consider taking a multivitamin? Or something like emergenC?

This. In looking at your log I was actually wincing. Eat nutrient dense foods. Especially while you're dieting.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed that their immune system has gone to crap since restricting calories? I seem to be sick all the time now, often only having like 3 days of 'well' before I come down with another cold. Makes it really hard to work out too :( I'm losing weight, and still being active but man I wish I could just feel well doing it!

I haven't been getting sick. I feel much better than I did.
    What others said about making different food choices could be helpful.
    Are you getting enough rest?
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yes. I started getting sick alot. Then I followed the advice of thousands of MFPers and I increased my calorie goal. The auto settings MFP uses had me trying to eat below my BMR...thats the number my body needs just to be in a coma with zero brain activity or bodily movement apart from breathing. Once I increased them it got much better; and I havent been sick since I switched to closer to my maintenance numbers. If you are getting sick its a sign that something isnt working for you.
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I haven't been getting sick. I feel much better than I did.
    What others said about making different food choices could be helpful.
    Are you getting enough rest?

I'm probably not getting enough rest. I work two night shifts a month, and I'm up with my kids 2-3 times a night.

I've got to say, I am very surprised about the diet comments. I feel like I eat pretty good most days and I drive my family nuts with the amount of vegetables I usually serve. I'll go back and review my diet, because I guess my perception is different than what others see!