How do you stay motivated

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    motivation is a fleeting and allusive emotion. You're never going to be motivated all of the time...this is where habit simply kicks in. Basically it's like anything else in life...certain things need doing...so you do them. I doubt that you are highly motivated to do the dishes or vacuum the floors...but they need doing, so you do them.

Nutrition and fitness are the same way...you have to stop thinking about these things as some, other than "normal", extracurricular thing...they have to become you. There has to be a new "normal". I eat well because that's how I eat...it's normal...I exercise regularly because it is normal for me to do so.

I can also be helpful in maintenance to really start establishing some fitness goals to work towards.
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Whenever I need to reach out for motivation, thinking of my kids always, always does it for me. I want to be a good example of health and moderation for them.
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    How do I stay motivated...? I look at myself in the mirror, naked. LOL :)
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you want something bad enough I don't believe you ever need to be motivated. So, for me it's just natural to keep going. In other words if you think of this as a choir, or don't have fun you most likely won't stay with it. I'm the guy at the park people stare at while I do my chins up, and pull ups. I do it for me and I love it!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    by having a real tangible goal that is more than just a number on the scale. i do this by registering for races.

i still have periods and days where i lack motivation, but the difference is that with a race always on the schedule, i have something to prepare for.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    By realizing that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    After I hit my goal weight a couple of years ago I put side by side pics on my fridge; one of me at my starting weight and one at my goal weight, with the caption: It's Your Choice! I did manage to let half the weight creep back on, which is why I am here, but looking at that scary "before" pic on my fridge every day is also why I am here! It reminded me of how badly I did not want to look like that again.